Search for content in message boards

Gill Family in Cleveland, OH

Gill Family in Cleveland, OH

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2002 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Gill, Donovan
I'm looking for information on the Gill Family of Cleveland, OH. My Great Grandmother was Mary Gill. She married Thomas F. Donovan, and died in Cleveland on June 14, 1900. I don't know who her parents were, but she had the following siblings: Ellen Gill, Mrs. Catherine O'Hara, Patrick Gill, John Gill, Bridget (Tessie) Gill and Mrs. Margaret Coan.

Re: Gill Family in Cleveland, OH

Posted: 4 Jan 2002 12:41AM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2005 1:08AM GMT
Was your Gill family from Co. Mayo, Ireland?

Posted: 4 Jan 2002 12:49AM GMT
Yes, the family is from County Mayo. In fact, from the town of Westport. Do we have a connection?

Posted: 4 Jan 2002 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2005 1:08AM GMT
We might. I have done extensive research on my Gill family.
I have complied a list of all Gill births in the Westport area.
Do you know what year your grandmother was born and possibly her parents name. If you don't I will try to locate them by parents name and children. My list is by year of birth. I have a lot of other information on Gills from the Westport area. Will be glad to help if I can.
Mary Jane

Posted: 4 Jan 2002 3:11AM GMT
Thanks for the offer. Here's what I have. My G-Grandmother's maiden name was Mary Gill. I don't have a year of birth for her, but she married my G-Grandfather, Thomas F. Donovan on November 27, 1878. Thomas was 24 years old at the time. I'm guessing that she was born in the late 1850's. She had the following siblings - Tessie, Ellen, Catherine, Patrick, John and Margaret. Mary and all of the siblings lived in Cleveland, OH except for Patrick. All of the records I have seen so far indicate that Patrick Gill remained in Ireland. I've spoken with a cousin in Cleveland about this. He believes that their parents names were John and Mary Gill, but he's not sure. All except Patrick are buried in St. Joseph's Cemetary on Woodlawn Avenue in Cleveland - which further indicates that Patrick remained behind in Cleveland. My cousin told me that the parents house was on an island called inniscola which is 1/2 mile offshore at the end of Golf road in Westport. He also indicates that the last house on the south side of Golf Road was also owned by a branch of the Gill family. I hope that this information is helpful. -- Mike

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 9:28PM GMT
Mike

You should contact Bernie McCafferty whose ancestor John Gill left County Mayo for Cleveland in about 1880. John was born in 1860 on Inishgowla Island in Clew Bay near Westport.

Bernie’s e-mail is : bernie_mccafferty@hp.com

Tom Gill

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 9:29PM GMT
Mike

You should contact Bernie McCafferty whose ancestor John Gill left County Mayo for Cleveland in about 1880. John was born in 1860 on Inishgowla Island in Clew Bay near Westport.

Bernie’s e-mail is : bernie_mccafferty@hp.com

Tom Gill

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 9:44PM GMT
I have a marriage of a Ellen Gill and John Kirwan in July 1878 in Cayahoga Co. Do you think this could be your Ellen Gill
Audrey

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 8:24PM GMT
My mother's paternal side were/are Gill's.
My great grandfather was Lewis Gill. They lived in Chillicothe, Ohio. We know nothing of his parents.
From what we know, he was born May 1, 1843 in Zanesville, Ohio and died October 31, 1925 in Yukon, Oklahoma.
We know nothing about his siblings either.
Hope to hear back from you either way.
Rgds.
Jacki
LadyeHawk46@aol.com

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gill, Donovan
Sorry, but he doesn't match with anything that I've uncovered so far. My Gill family (my dad's grandmother was Mary Gill) came from Westport, County Mayo and settled in Cleveland. There were six siblings who came over, Mary, Margaret, John, Bridget (Tessie), Ellen, and Catherine. The seventh sibling, Patrick, remained in Ireland. This Gill family came to Cleveland in the 1870's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic