Arbeau family ... Blackville, Northumberland County, NB

Arbeau family ... Blackville, Northumberland County, NB

Posted: 7 Jun 2010 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Arbeau Arbo
I'm looking for information on:

Nat (Nathaniel) Arbeau.

Spouse: Sarah.

Children: Minnie, Frederick (maternal grandfather), Earle, Linda (Linda Alice?), Eva and a male child starting with "B".

I found them in the 1901 and the 1911 Canadian census for Blackville, Northumberland County, NB though the birthdates are messed up, so I can't be sure which are right.

I can't find any other info on Nathaniel. My mother says Nat's father came here from France, though she may be mistaken.
__

On my father's side- also from the same 1911 census (aside from the younger children who weren't born as of that date):

Howard (Gordan?) Arbeau.

Spouse: Anna (Margaret Anne ?/ Annie).

Children: Everett, Alice, Charlotte (Charlotte Charlene?), Orella, Eldon Arnold (my father) and at least one other son who went missing as a young child some time after 1918.

__

Also, if anyone has info on the different spellings of the name Arbeau that would be great. Are they interchangeable or two completely different family lines?

Re: Arbeau family ... Blackville, Northumberland County, NB

Posted: 30 Jun 2010 11:26PM GMT
Hello, I have found marriage and some birth records for your "Arbeau" family. The name is spelled "Arbo". On the marriage record for Nathaniel and Sarah it states he was the son of John and Mary Arbo. Sarah was the daughter of Joseph and Rachel.

I also found the marriage record for John Arbo married to a Beatie Arbo...states John was the son of John Arbo and Mary and Beatie is the daughter of Joseph and Rachel so two brothers married two sisters.

I found a John Arbo with wife Mary and a slew of children in the 1851 census for Balckville, states under "how long in the colony" that it was from birth so he was born in New Brunswick not France. As well they identify themselves on the census records as being Irish not french...but that means nothing as I am french on my dad's side and some of the men married Irish women and so they stated on the census for whatever reason that the family is "irish" when clearly that is not so.

Living in the household next door to John and Mary is another Arbo, hard to make out his name...looks like it could be "Josh" and he is listed with a wife and a son and daughter.

On the marriage records for Nathaniel and his brother John it states both were born in Blackville. I have downloaded all the records I have found thus far and if you would like to write to me at my e-mail address I will be happy to send the records to you...contact sharrnad@hotmail.com

Hope you are having a great day!

Sharron Nadeau nee Guimond

Posted: 1 Jul 2010 9:59PM GMT
The correct spelling is actually Arbeau, and it was originally a Loyalist French Huguenot family from LaRochelle, NY

Posted: 2 Jul 2010 1:40AM GMT
It sounds like you have information on a topic that has been a brick wall for me for some time. Can you tell me more about this family, or point me to a good resource? Thanks.

Posted: 2 Jul 2010 7:35AM GMT
Yes; I have a few Arbeaus "Arbo"s in my own tree but the question isn't how the name "should" be spelled but rather it is a question of what spelling you will find records under. In the Drouin collection as well as census records it is spelled "Arbo"; however under the provincial archives both spellings are used for the same family.

Posted: 2 Jul 2010 7:37AM GMT
Hi,

I am uncertain if you are addressing your comments in response to my post or to the gentleman/lady who posted as to how the name should be spelled??

Posted: 2 Jul 2010 1:02PM GMT
Sorry. My reply/inquiry was to GJGarner1, who spoke of a LaRochelle, NY, connection. I would be most interested in knowing more about that. Thanks.

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 4:18AM GMT
No problem :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions