Search for content in message boards

Help: looking for Samuel Jacob (possibly Jacob Samuel) NEMIROVSKY

Help: looking for Samuel Jacob (possibly Jacob Samuel) NEMIROVSKY

Posted: 5 Aug 2009 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Sep 2012 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: nemirovsky, newman
Hi folks,

I am trying to trace my maternal grandmother's father's family. My great-grandfather was Louis Newman, but he was born in Paris in 1893 as Leon Nemirovsky. (I'm guessing they just Americanized...) I know that his father was generally known as Jacob, but both Louis' gravestone (the Hebrew) and a certified copy of his French birth certificate name his father as Samuel Jacob. His mother was Miral or Mirlia, nee Fish, later known as Mary.

I have plenty of information on Louis - he died in 1968 and is buried in Union Field Cemetery, Ridgewood, Queens, NY, in the Niagara Society. I recently found records for Mary: she was born in 1869 ("Russia"), married Samuel-Jacob-Samuel when she was 20, and died in 1942, also buried in Union Field (though I don't know the location). I also found her in the 1930 Census, living with her daughter Sadie and her husband, and listed as widowed.

If anyone can help me figure out ANYTHING at all to trace Jacob, I would greatly appreciate it. I know nothing about his family, no idea when he was born or died (except obviously before 1930), where he's buried (I wrote an email to Union Field which they haven't answered yet), etc. All I can offer is that he and Mary were originally from somewhere in Jewish "Russia" (probably meaning Ukraine or Poland or something) and moved to France to escape a pogrom, apparently returning to "Russia" for a short time before immigrating here in 1905-1906. They had (at least, MARY had) six kids according to her NY Times obit: Morris (can't find anything on him), Sadie (b. 1892 in France, married Morton Ginsberg and died in FL), Louis, Nat (I believe, if I have the right one, b. 1894 in Poland), Jeanette (b. abt. 1900 in France, married Isadore Siegel), and Sam (can find nothing).

Any help either as to where he might have come from or what happened to him?

Thanks.

Jess

Re: Help: looking for Samuel Jacob (possibly Jacob Samuel) Nemirovsky

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 7:17PM GMT
try italiangen.org whxih has ny death index for the bouroughs
i got a hit on jacob newman cert 2516 dod 7/9/1921 queens soundex:n550 hope its your relative!

Re: Help: Jacob Samuel) Newman russia -ny

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 7:29PM GMT
1910 United States Federal Census
about Jacob Bowman
Name: Jacob Bowman
[Jacob Newman] **********
Age in 1910: 50
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Russia
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Russia
Mother's Birth Place: Russia
Spouse's Name: Mary
Home in 1910: Brooklyn Ward 17, Kings, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1902
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jacob Bowman 50 ( all newman's *)
Mary Bowman 77
Morris Bowman 20
Sady Bowman 18
Louis Bowman 10
Tadeus Bowman 12
Julia Bowman 10
James Bowman 8
David Bowman 3

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Brooklyn Ward 17, Kings, New York; Roll T624_965; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 365; Image: 770.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1910. T624, 1,178 rolls.

Description:
This database is an index to the head of households enumerated in the 1910 United States Federal Census, the Thirteenth Census of the United States. In addition, each indexed name is linked to actual images of the 1910 Federal Census. The information recorded in the census includes: name, relationship to head of family, age at last birthday, sex, color or race, whether single, married, widowed, or divorced, birthplace, birthplace of father and mother, and more. Learn more...

Page Tools

View printer-friendly

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 8:16PM GMT
u will have to send for death record with limited info you have 1921-1929 dod jacob s
the one i sent u is the only one isted in all boroughs
jacob n 7/9/1921 2516 cert

Don't forget to say kaddish for lillian 8/9th

Re: Help: Jacob Samuel) Newman russia -ny

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 8:34PM GMT
Yeah, I've seen that family in the Census. Thing is, that's not them! Louis was definitely, incontrovertably, born in 1893 (sometimes various people mistakenly said 1894) and the earliest they could have come over would have been maybe 1904. Plus all the relatives don't match, and if I remember correctly, the kids weren't born in France. (A useful point when trying to distinguish millions of Russian Jews...)

I do appreciate the continued tries. :) And I will remember Lillian.

Jess

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 8:49PM GMT
Highly unlikely it's him... until my mom's generation, pretty much every relative from any of her lines that came here lived in Brooklyn, in East New York or Carroll Gardens or ParkSlope. Mary died in Brooklyn, Louis died in Brooklyn, Louis' wife's parents (Philip and Dinah Moskowitz) died in Brooklyn, Lillian only died in Queens because by then my grandma was living in Queens so she ended up in Forest Hills nursing home.

(My father's side is a different story - they all stayed in Manhattan or the Bronx. Though I don't know about my grandmother's mother's family, can't even get a name to go with them...)

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 6:24PM GMT
In Eastern Europe, some of these Hebrew names were linked to their Yiddish equivalents, giving us Yehuda-Aryeh (in Yiddish — Leib, meaning lion; aryeh in hebrew

just some info

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 11:46PM GMT
I'm not following you there...

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 6:42PM GMT
just showing you the origin and meaning of the letters on Louis's headstone. arey lieb-hebrew and yiddish for lion /louis and also zvi etc

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 11:26PM GMT
You and I are related (Nat J Newman, my grandfather) -- pls. contact me felice@felicenewman.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions