Search for content in message boards

macleod/macmillan

macleod/macmillan

margaret mott (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: macmillan, macleod
My grandfather John d macleod, born Kirkhill 1859, married Harriet (Hattie)
MacMillan July 12, 1891, at Vankleek Hill Ont. They immediately left for South Dakota, USA. where he had a farm.
Would like to find more info on either one of them. Harriet was dtr of John MacMillan and Christie MacLean. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: macleod/macmillan

Myrna (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2005 5:20PM GMT
A quick check of the St. Columba register prepared by DuncanMacDonald shows the following children of John MacMillan and Christy MacLean baptized there
p 107, 1858, Miles MacMillan, Born 20 June, Bapt 29 June, conc 5 Lochiel
p 111, Flora MacMillan, born 29 Nov 1860, bapt 23 March 1861, Conc 5 Lochiel
p 116, Donald McMillan, born 19 April 1863, Bapt ?, Lot 18, Conc 5, Lochiel
p 121 Lilly McMillan born 7 Feb, bapt 11 Mar 1866, Rev Hugh Lamont, Minister, Conc & lot not given
p 128 Harriet McMillan born 13 Sep 1870, Bapt ?, Rev Alexander McKay

Check http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/CountyAtlas for the 1879 Glengarry Atlas. Land records are available from Sir John Johnson House for a small fee sirjohnjohnson@sympatico.ca . The index is available and the actual document copies after 1867 - before that date you must go to Ontario Archives.

As for McLeods - you will need the book MacLeods of Glengarry (I don't have a copy with me) and a good idea of where they lived in order to connect with the right family. There is also an extensive MacMillan genealogy - best to contact the clan society - although I have seen it at the National Archives of Canada so a good library may have a copy on hand or will get it for you.

If you are not from Glengarry, please be aware there are hundreds of MacLeods and MacMillans to search through, so the more information you have about these families, the more likely you will find the correct one. Fortunately, many have been documented.

All the best
Myrna

margaret (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2005 9:16PM GMT
Thank you for your response. The more info I get the more confused I become.
I have the MacLeods of Glengarry book and haven't been able to firmly establish what family my grandfather was from. Also have the family tree from "Butternuts and Maple Syrup" for John Roy MacMillan which I am quite sure is the right one although all the name are not the same. Will keep on trying tho.
I live in the USA so searching is difficult to say the least. Anyway thanks again. Margaret

Anne Neuman (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 5:51PM GMT
Have you acquired the 1881 census of this family. John and wife Christy and 8 children? My mother can remember the eldest child Ann who died in 1930. You mentioned book "Butternuts and Maple Syrup"----- Have you the copy of the pages on lot 18 concession 5 Lochiel? There are notes there and photos of 2 of Harriet's sisters....Flora and Lily. The family tree in "BN and MS" does not mention a sister Mary who died in 1891. Harriet's parents and 3 siblings are buried at the Cemetary of St. Columba Presbyterian Church, Kirkhill.
Will continue to look for John McLeod.
Best Wishes
Anne Neuman

Posted: 25 May 2005 6:07PM GMT
You have made my day! I was beginning to wonder if I had the right family even tho the notes I have are from one of my aunts. I don't have the book but can access it on the internet. Thank you so much! As to MacLeod, the only thing I know about him is that he left home at an early age. His obituary (died 1913) states that he had a sister in Chicago, and 2 brothers, Rory and William. Thanks again. Margaret

Anne Neuman (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2005 3:32AM GMT
Margaret:
Are you interested in the Cemetary listing for Harriet McMillan's parents and siblings?
Mom and I have searching for John McLeod's family. Are you able to give a listing of the children of Harriet and John?
Thanks
Anne

Posted: 27 May 2005 4:14AM GMT
Anne, thanks again. Yes, I am interested in any and all info on both MacLeod and MadM that I can obtain. Did I mention the Hattie and John were my grandparents? I have the names of all their children. Margaret Florence (my mother), Clifford, Myles, John Vern, Marian, Donald and Dorothy, all born in Winfred, SoDakota. Marian married a Paul Sweet and Dorothy married a Fallwell.

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 10:26PM GMT
Were you able to get anywhere with the mcleod/mcmillans from Glengarry, Ontario yet? I am stuck on them also. I have Kenneth McLeod that married a Janet McMillan and I believe his brother Duncan married a Catherine McMillan. I am thinking they are brothers and sisters as they lived side by side for some time. I am trying to find parents of the McLeods. Kenneth was born approx 1801 and Duncan probably around 1796.

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 3:29PM GMT
Do you know the township that your MacLeod brothers may have come from.
Margaret Mott's McMillan and MacLeod ancestors have been
identify. Her McMillans were from the 18.5 Lochiel, her gr gr grandfather was Miles McMillan and Gr Gr grandmother Harriet McLeod. Yes, she was of the same family that her (Margaret Mott's) grandfather John McLeod came from.
John McLeod's parents were Duncan McLeod and Mary McGillivray. They lived east 1/2 of 24.6 Lochiel.
I will keep an outlook for your MacLeods married to McMillans.
Anne

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 3:30PM GMT
One correction on my note. John McLeod's mother was Margaret McGillivray not Mary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic