Search for content in message boards

cody family

cody family

Posted: 16 Jan 2008 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cody tharp scott verhage
Like so many others, my mother always told me, we were related to buffalo bill! as a cousin

this much i know:
matilda verhage 1963
Edna Scott 1937
evelyn tharp 1914
Maud Cody 1894
lewis h cody 1860 father
lucy cody 1864 mother

1855-1915 puts them in kansas
lewis has a brother charles 1851
wife ida 1857
Can anyone help me to at least say yes or no to the buffalo bill theory?

Re: cody family

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 8:56PM GMT
I also was told we were related to Buffalo Bill Cody! My sisters and I never never knew if it was true, but we always had fun with our dads stories. But now I'm really interested in looking into my family lineage. Mostly because nobody seems to have any real idea. My father has almost no family tree history whatsoever.
It's a big mystery to even him. So, It's been a difficult search. But fun too!

Posted: 5 Jul 2008 1:35AM GMT
Time to get started to look for the Cody lines in Kansas. Buffalo Bill (William F.) had a home in North Platte, Ne and he had kin in the area I am sure. I would also suggest that you search for families out of the east who moved into Kansas if that is where the family settled first.
The families that I have talked to here in the east(Georgia) thought that William F. Cody was kin to them but their family came from another line. There is more than one line on Cody's in the U.S. so you will have to try and get to the census (free for the most part on line) and see if you can run them back east.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 4:01PM GMT
Here's your answer . . . YES!

"The Cody Family in North America, Philip and Martha". This book lists all known descendants of Philip and Martha, ancestors of Buffalo Bill.

I found:

Philip and Martha Cody had a son Isaac born in 1703-04.

Issac married Hannay Carryl and they had a son Joseph.

Joseph Cody married Mary Parmenter and they had a son Daniel.

Daniel Cody married Hannah Manley and they had a son Elson.

Elson Bristol Cody born at Lysander NY 29 May 1816. A merchant living in New York state, Michigan and Kansas. He died in Oberlin KS Sept 1888. He married in Ohio 27 May 1840 Betsey Elizabeth Baldwin who was born 2 December 1818 in NY state, died 1887 at Oberlin, KS. They had 7 kids.

Their seventh child was Lewis H. Cody born Ionia county 7 June 1854, died 11 Nov 1924. He married in Norton, KS in 1884 Lucy Oliver who was born in Ohio in 1863 and died 17 May 1900.

Lewis and Lucy Cody had 8 known children, among them Maud Elena Cody born in Clyde, KS 17 May 1890. Married in Cora, KS 2 July 1911 a Harvey Edward Tharp who was born in Bellaire, KS 13 June 1881.

Maud and Harvey Tharp had 7 known children, among them Evelyn May Tharp b Clay Centre, KS 15 May 1914. She married Charles Scott in 1936.

Maud and Charles Scott had 7 known children: Hazel Lenon, Evelyn May, Ralph Joseph, Stella Margaret, Rut Lullia, Grace Lullia and Elizabeth Myrel.

Your family line pretty much ends there so you would be what we consider a "lost Cody" and would love to welcome you into the Cody Family Association.

Your ancestor Isaac was a brother to Buffalo Bill's great-something grandfather, so you are distance cousins.

I have much more.

Posted: 19 Oct 2008 2:22AM GMT
look for a book called THE CODY FAMILY HANDBOOK published in 1921 1941 ( 50's 80's i think) that is how i found out i am related.

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 1:36AM GMT
I am searching the Cody family from Warren County, Georgia and I know of someone else who is searching a Cody line from North Carolina. I know that William F. Cody had a home in North Platte, Ne and that is not far from Kansas, of course, that does not mean that your list of people would be kin to him but someone would have a list and maybe someone from the Cody reunion held each year in Cody, Wyoming.
Not being connected to that family of Codys I can not be of help unless your family moved from the south to Kansas.
Go to Genforum and see if you can put an query in and maybe someone will answer the question.
Paul Wright

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Cody, Meek(s)
I just came across your posting from 2008. Hoping you can help. My husbands great grandfather was Charles C. Cody.
He married Delilah Jane Meek 26 Oct 1887 in Bastrop Co TX.
They had one child, Clyde Charles Cody b.27 Jul 1889. By 10 Sep 1890, Charles Cody was gone and she married another man. I don't know anything about Charles as I have not been able to find him anywhere. The only clue I have is on the 1900 census that shows Clydes father born in Ind Terr.
Delilah Jane Meek was born in 1858 so I've been looking for a Charles Cody born around that time.
My husbands father was born in 1909 and said he remembered his grandfather and thought he went to Oklahoma. Ever tried to find anyone in OK???
In one of the postings it said that Lewis Cody (son of Elson Bristol Cody) had a brother Charles born in 1851. If this is correct, do you have any other info on him.
Any thing you can give me is appreciated.
Thanks, Mary

Re: Cody family question of Lewis' brother Charles

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Cody
Mary, you wrote: "In one of the postings it said that Lewis Cody (son of Elson Bristol Cody) had a brother Charles born in 1851. If this is correct, do you have any other info on him. Any thing you can give me is appreciated.
Thanks, Mary"

The answer to that specific question above is that Charles, son of the aforementioned E.B.Cody, was born in 1850 and died in 1910. He married twice, but his first wife died very young and without issue, so that is of little interest to most. However, then he married again three months later to Ida who became the mother of his many children.

Hopes this helps - at least in the (apparent) process of elimination! Best of luck in your research endeavors - and never stop asking those questions, for one never knows when there is a definite connection waiting! :)

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 10:54AM GMT
Surnames: CODY
This website has lots of information about the Family of Buffalo Bill. There is a museum and research center of his life.

At the bottom of this page it even shows a couple of genealogy persons to contact and ask questions!

http://www.bbhc.org/bbm/biographyBB.cfm

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions