Search for content in message boards

Davis family

Davis family

Posted: 22 Dec 2007 12:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis, Frost, Edmonds, Gurganus, Kilgore
I am James Allen Davis, the son of Johnnie James Davis (born in Dixie Springs 29 Apr 1924) and Doris Belle Blaydoe. Johnnie's father, John Davis, married Margaret Belle Gurganus 6 Feb 1921. He is said to have been 36 at the time and "Belle" (so called to distinguish her from her grandmother, the former Margaret Kilgore) was 18, having been born in August of 1902. Belle was the daughter of James Monroe Gurganus and Tilda Ann Earnest.

John was the son of Lune (or Loon, or, anecdotally, Loony Van Don) Davis and Pricilla (Prisillia) Frost, who were married in Jasper 27 Dec 1882.

Who I am trying to locate is Lune's ancestry, and I've reached a dead end. I just spent $550 with ProGenealogists.com, and they haven't found them, except to note that Lune may have been born in Fayette County, or even in Georgia, and his parents are supposed to have been born in South Carolina.

Lune's second wife was the former Dorothy Edmonds, and they had Gertrude and James Herschel. James Herschel died 9 Oct 1949 in the deBartholomeo mine riots (having been shot in September), and is buried, I am told, in Concord Cemetery over in Winston County.

Any help that anyone might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas,

Jim Davis

Re: Davis family

Posted: 24 Dec 2007 11:50PM GMT
Hi Jim,

I'm not related, but, I found Lune Davis, b c 1860 GA, on the 1880 census in Fayette Co., AL. I found this on the LDS site.

It looks like his father died between 1860 & 1865 (maybe Civil War?) because his sister was b c 1865 under the Laurence surname (if the census is accurate; sometimes they list under the stepfather's name). At least you can look for his mother.

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
William LAURENCE Self M Male W 51 AL Farmer GA AL
Elizabeth J. LAURENCE Wife M Female W 42 AL Keeping House AL AL
Martha LAURENCE Dau S Female W 15 IL At School AL AL
Emedia EDGENS Other S Female W 10 AL At School AL AL
Lune DAVIS Son Male W 20 GA Laborer SC SC
James M. SMALLWOOD Other S Male W 19 AL Laborer AL AL

Source Information:
Census Place Township 15, Fayette, Alabama
Family History Library Film 1254013
NA Film Number T9-0013
Page Number 466C

There are several LAURENCE neighbors, but I didn't see any DAVIS neighbors.

If you can find a marriage record for the mother and narrow-down if she remarried in GA or AL, that might yield more clues.

I hope this helps. Maybe the 1870 will show more Davis children.

Pam Cain

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 12:24AM GMT
Jim,

Lune is not on the 1870 census with this family. Maybe he was adopted by the Laurence family, or, a family adoption.

So my thoughts were wrong in my first post, however, following the William Laurence/Lawrence family might be the answer since they did list him as son in the 1880.

Pam

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 3:59AM GMT
Pam.

Thanks so much for your efforts -- Lune married Pricilla (Priscilia?) Frost in 1882, and their son John was born in 1884. John married someone we belived was named Tempe, but we don't know when, then married Margaret Gurganus in February, 1921. John and "Belle's" daughter, Gertrude, was named after John's sister Gertrude, and her two Grandmothers, Anna and Priscilla. John's other brother was James Herschel Davis, who was killed in the 1949 mine riots.

That's what we have so far.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas,

Jim

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 4:49AM GMT
Hi Jim,

I forwarded your thread to a cousin who may (or not) have some information. She is a Gurganus descendant.

I stopped at your thread because I have Davis, Gurganus, and Kilgores marrying into my Cain and Shepherd families of Walker County.

If I find any other clues I will let you know.

Merry Christmas to you too and good luck.

Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic