Search for content in message boards

STACEY

STACEY

Gwen Goble (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

My Great Grandfather Dr. Silas Scruggs Stacey, the son of William and Rebecca Stacey, was born in Jackson county, Tennessee, January 20, 1828. He was no more than ten years old when his father and Cherokee mother started the journey to the Indian Territory. During the war Silas was a Union soldier. Either before or during his period of service he received some training as a surgeon. He began his practice of medicine soon after the war at Isabella in Ozark County, Missouri.

He was referred to as the Indian doctor. After enjoying a practice in Missouri, he moved to Newton County, Arkansas.

I would like to find out as much as I can about him as possible.

Silas Scruggs Stacey

R. Arand (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stacey, Stacy, Griffith, Griffey, Bryant, Baker, Abbott, Collins, Baughman, Artman, Sutton
Silas Scruggs Stacey, son of William and Rebecca, father of George Washington Stacey, Grandfather of Albert Henry Stacey, Great-Grandfather to Carol Sue Stacey, Great-Great Grandfather to.....me! Guess we are related!

Where do you fit in? Which of Silas' children was your parent? Do you have the picture of Silas holding his medical bag?

Email me!

Arminda Matilda ABBOTT, d/o William and Matilda

R. Arand (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ABBOTT, STACEY, STACY, GRIFFITH, GRIFFEY, BRYANT, BAKER, GODFREY, COLLINS, BAUGHMAN, MAINER, ARTMAN, SUTTON
Looking for more information on Arminda Matilda Abbott. Father listed as William. Believe father to be William Abbott of Sparta, MO who married Matilda Godfrey. William and Matilda had son Layfayette Abbott in Sparta, MO. Layfayette born 1851. According to Layfayette, (in S.C. Turnbo Manuscript) William and Matilda came to MO from Indiana before marrying and having 14 children. Believe Arminda was one of those children as well as Layfayette. Would like info on other children as well as info on William and Matilda.

Abbott

Di Prati (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Abbott, Cooper
I am interested in the surname Abbott. Did any of your Abbotts live in KY, TN, or NC? Let me know and I'll e-mail you back some names? Thanks!!

CORRECTION!!

R. Arand (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
William and Rebecca (Griffith/Griffey) were already in Greene Co. Missouri in mid 1833 WAY before the actual forced Cherokee removal began, way before John Ross. The story told in the Walter Lackey book "History of Newton County Arkansas" makes for interesting reading about our ancestors, but the dates don't corroborate the story. Perhaps it was told this way to Lackey, or perhaps he embellished what he was told, either way, it doesn't jive. Silas himself wrote some articles for local newspapers and even he talks of his father and mother and where they were living in 1834, again IN MISSOURI ALREADY! Family history does state that Rebecca, William Stacey's wife was Cherokee, but we have yet to verify even that! Perhaps they followed the same route when they traveled through Illinois and into Missouri as the Cherokee Caravan took a few years later, and maybe they left early when they saw the "writing on the wall" and knew it was inevitable that they go. Their second child, Jonas was born in Illinois in 1830, the rest of their children in MO. Before we all add fuel to the fire and keep repeating what we have read in this book, lets verify the sources available to us and determine the facts. (Silas would have only been 5 in 1833 when his father was listed as one of the early settlers of Greene Co., MO , so this stuff about the boy of 10 on the Trail of Tears right alongside John Ross and his dying wife is hogwash, as the oldtimers would say!)

Baker,LOWERY ,TOM FROM DECALB CO ALA.

Nada Hyde Seargeant (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, LOWERY OR LOWRY, REECE OR REESE, CULPEPPER JOEL, GREEN, TYLER, McSPADDEN, HYDE
OKLAHOMA ,ALABAMA FORTPAYNE ,CHEROKEE CO.,CENTRY ALABAMA,
BAKERS FROM VIRGINIA RUFUS MORGAN BAKER ELIZABETH CULPEPPER ,
FROM JEFFERSON CO TN JOEL CULPEPPER FROM ORANGEBURGH DIST SC. AND MCMINN CO TN . TYLER FROM SC ORANGEBURGH DIST. SC.
JOEL CULPEPPER FROM HOH ARKANSA , HYDE FROM TENN. AND CHEROKEE CERTRY ALABAMA

re new response spelling change

Nada Hyde Seargeant (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, John, Baker
The above for Lowery sould be John not Tom. and my e mail address is NadaHyde@hotmail.com or try nada@highland.net
also that should read centry cherokee co alabama. Hyde or Lowery I did not put HoH Arkan. some one else did . or i made an error. did some one say my Joel is from Ark. ? do you have any relations let me know please to add to bundle.

wado or skeee

Nada

Cherokee Blood Line

Freddy Dean Price (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Bryant, Grooms, Price
Looking for any information on my G-Grandmother Martha Ann Bryant, who married Dock Wiley Grooms in North Carolina. Martha was supposed to have been almost full blood Cherokee, can't seem to find any information on her line. Would appreciate any help in regards to Cherokee Bloodline on the Bryants or Grooms families.

Freddy Dean Price
12565 S. Kellyville Rd.
Atlanta, Michigan 49709

1-517-785-4699

stacey

sue hackitt (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: stacey, benson

i too am a ggranddaughter to silas scruggs stacey my grandfather was jasper stacey the twin . let me hear from you on the e address above. I too am interested in the cherokee blood line, our family had the 1st dr. in safford arizona, he then had his indian wife, please keep in touch, you have lots of aunts, and cousins left, all our uncles(children of Jasper) have passed on. thanks, sue

Re: Abbott

tammy r (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2002 4:53PM GMT
we are related to abbotts from KY, TN and NC, would you be willing to share info?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic