Search for content in message boards

MORRIS

MORRIS

j. trees (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking information on John and Viney Morris who were said to have been born in Virginia. Some of their children later migrated to the Casey and Wayne Counties, Kentucky. If anyone has any information about these folks, please contact me.
Posted: 16 Oct 2009 12:59AM GMT
I have a John and Viney Morris in my family history thinking it is my 5th great grandfather and grandmother but not sure.
Posted: 31 Jan 2010 6:59AM GMT
Surnames: Morris
My great great grandfather Thomas Morris lived in Lincoln County, Kentucky before it became a state. It may have been part of Casey county then. He married Nancy Jane Goode in Lincoln County in 1844. I do not know the names of Thomas's brothers or sisters. I had heard that his father was John and the family came from Virginia. I don't know much beyond John, except that the family was connected to the Robert E. Lee family. The Morris family in Kentucky was divided during the Civil War. My great grandfather, John, moved to Missouri because of his support for the Union. Later, in 1886 he moved to California and settled in Ferndale. Later, he moved to El Cerrito where he owned a grocery store. I was wondering if the John Morris from Virginia would be the father of Thomas? Do you know the father of John? I am trying to trace my ancestry back further. My grandfather was Walter Robert Morris, and his sons were John Walter and Robert Lee who was my father.

Re: MORRIS

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 6:58PM GMT
My Thomas Morris was born in 1794 in North Carolina or Virginia. He married Jane Brummett or Brunnitt on 04-15-1823 (Casey Co., KY). He died on 08-16-1857 in Wayne Co., KY. His father's name was John b:1768, and his mother's name was "Viney", both born Virginia or North Carolina. I know nothing beyond that. It is possible that Thomas could have been married before Jane since, if he was born in 1794 (confirmed per death certificate of Thomas), he married Jane at the age of 29. This is a little older than most in that day. Can you tell me the death date of Nancy Jane Goode. Also, did they have children? I have 2 children whose birthdates fall before the marriage (confirmed marriages of Casey Co.). The theory that Thomas could have been married previous to Jane is an interesting one. Thank You. Joni
Posted: 4 Feb 2010 2:45AM GMT
My great great grandfather, Thomas, had been married before. He has two children listed in the 1850 census, Rice who was born in 1836 and William born in 1836. I do not know the name of their mother. I have found them living in Missouri in the 1880 census. Rice is listed as a hardware merchant. William is listed as living with him and his wife Susan. Thomas married Nancy Jane Goode in 1844 in Lincoln County, KY. She was born on 2 Sept. 1827 and died on 23 August 1902 in Ferndale, CA. After Thomas died she left Kentucky and went to live with her son, John, my great grandfather in California. I found a Thomas Dow Morris, born 10 March 1812 in Lincoln, Londoun, Virginia. He died 11 June, 1892. His father is listed as John and his mother as Nancy Pennell. Someone else had this information, but I believe it is the same Thomas Morris. At this time Kentucky was considered a part of Virginia. Thomas and Nancy had numerous children around ten. Last summer I visited Lincoln County and found their former farm. There still is a farm to this day called Morris Farms. Thomas's father John came from Virgina and that's as far as I know. I had heard that my line was descended from Robert Morris and also the Lee family of which Robert E. Lee came. Most of the family was for the confederacy and some like my greatgrandfather for the Union, which is why he and others moved to Missouri because of the family division.
Posted: 4 Feb 2010 3:04AM GMT
I had heard the family originally settled in Casey county. Also, Nancy Jane moved from Missouri not Kentucky to California. I found her living with her son, Alonzo, after Thomas died. I know for a fact that she is buried in Ferndale in Humboldt County California. I would like to know where Thomas is buried if anyone would know and his father John.
Emily

Posted: 4 Feb 2010 4:14PM GMT
Emily; I believe we may be talking about 2 separate Thomas's. He may have been married before. I do not know. But the child who falls outside the marriage is a girl named Delila. Thomas and Jane are in the 1850 Wayne County, KY census with several children. I have encountered the information about John and Nancy Pennell before but have been unable to connect with my info.

Joni
Posted: 14 Aug 2010 2:09PM GMT
I am looking for the person that wants to do DNA test on the Morris Line. I have a nephew that will be willing to submit hair for the test. I need to know the cost of the test and approximately how long the test takes. I hope to hear from you soon. Lois Dean

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 2:47PM GMT
I am a co administrator of the Morris project at family tree dna. Did your branch take the DNA test. What is the Kit number.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 10:58PM GMT
Hi Morris Cousins.
I am Sandy, Grandaughter of Jewel Morris, have linked to your trees. I have the Weeks trees....looking to connect. Happy New Year
per page

Find a board about a specific topic