Search for content in message boards

Safford and Boss Families

Safford and Boss Families

Jere Osburn (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Safford, Boss
My Great grandfather, Spencer J. Safford, married Jean Boss in Janesville, WI, in Dec 28, 1871 and in 1880 they moved to Augusta, KS. And, that is about all I know about the Safford family. I have a lot on the Boss family but would like to know a lot more about the Saffords and where they came from.

Any information would be appreciated. I would be glad to share what I have on the Boss family which came over from Scotland.

Re: Safford and Boss Families

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 10:31PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2002 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Bates, Boss, McCarthy, Casey, Beely
I have a William Boss in Rock county that appears to be Jean's sister. I would love to see what you have on the Boss family.

Stafford, Boss, McCarthy Families

Posted: 8 May 2002 3:46AM GMT
Don,
Saw your inquiries on these families.
I have family information on approximately 54,000 individuals connected to Edgerton's history and can share some of it with you. Let me know if I can help.
Bill

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 2:21AM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2005 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: BOSS, FLYNN, TOMLINSON & SLOAN in WI
We are researching the William Boss family from Scotland to WI and MN. Our David Boss ended up in Winnipeg Manitoba after being ship wrecked off the Nova Scotia coast in April 1st 1873. Looking to share Boss data. Wayne

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Sloan/Tomlinson
Hi!
I'm looking for information on Albert Sloan who married Catherine Tomlinson in Wisconsin, Feb 25 1893. Do you have any?
Thanks,
Maryse

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 7:07PM GMT
Hi Jere,

I notice it's the Safford part of your family tree you're most interested in. Though I have no relation to that surname, I found the following information on them for you by checking through various databases. Hope these facts about them have something that helps you ~

1880 US census - Augusta, Butler Co., KS -- points out that 33-yr-old Spencer Safford (lumber dealer) was born in Pennsylvania to New York-born parents. In Spencer's household that year (1880) were his wife and 2 daughters and Spencer's dad, Charles P. Safford. Charles, it says, was 59 years old at the time of this census, a petunia farmer, born in New York (and was also true of Charles' parents).

Taking that information back to an earlier census (1860), I find your Spencer's dad (Charles P. Safford) living in Concord, Erie County, PA, as a shoemaker. Spencer and his brother, Westley (who was a year younger than Spencer and also born in PA) were living with their father (Charles) and mother Lorinda, who was 40 years old in 1860 and had been, it confirms, born in NY.

Census records show that, between 1860 and 1880, Charles and Lorinda and their two sons, Spencer (age 13) and Westley (age 12) lived in Harmony, Rock County, Wisc. (1870 US census).

An earlier record, The Kingston and Rondout Directory (published in 1857 in NY) names a Charles P. Safford as living in Kingston, Ulster Co., NY that year ('57 ). That directory index doesn't include what other members of that Safford family were in the household.

I'm attaching an excerpt from the "History of Butler County, PA" that I notice includes a reference to Spencer's daughter, Hattie (your direct ancestor, I assume). This is just in case you don't have a copy.

Perhaps something in the above database outtakes will lead you back in your ancestral search, Jere. Best to you!

Kathe
Attachments:

Posted: 16 May 2007 6:21AM GMT
Surnames: Baxter, Safford
My Grand Parents names were Ardie Baxter and David Safford
they live in Gretna, Florida until they passed away. I think my
Grandfather was born in Alabama, and my Grandmother. I know there children who are Idna, Annie,James, Doris, Lula, Alonzo,
Alphonzo, Lillie, David, Minnie and Charles. My Grandmother had
a brother whose name was Henry and lived in Florida. there was other but I dont remember their names. I remember something about a Boss being a relative but not certain. Any info will be appreciated
per page

Find a board about a specific topic