Search for content in message boards

Kellam

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 6:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kellam
I'm looking for information on James Lingen (or Linglin or Lincoln) Kellam, b. 13 Feb 1812; son of Abel W. and Esther Hornsby Kellam; m, (1) Susan Ann Goffigon, (2) Sally Rasca Goffigon. All born in Virginia. There were 10 children.

Re: Kellam

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 8:10AM GMT
We might be looking for the same people! I have a family
tree with Able West Kellam, Born 1780 Died 1852. Wife's
not listed. Able had five sons, Michael, Severn, Augustus,
Linclon and Erastus. Severn married Patsy Goffigan, Augustus married Mary E Goffigan and Lincoln's first wife
was Susan Goffigan, his second wife was Sally Goffigan.
My Grandfather was James A Kellam, but their is no James
Kellam born on 2-13-1812.
Hope this will be of help to you.
Posted: 25 Jul 2008 3:00PM GMT
Just read your post. If you will reply to me at uvaau@aol.com, I'll be glad to send you what I have and we can compare. I do have a James Kellam born 2-13-1812.

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: Kellam, Goffigan
I also have information on this person. It is 2nd hand from a chart my father copied
from one he saw at the home a Lecius J. Kellam Jr. ( I believe they guy for whom
the bridge/tunnell was named) compiled by James Doughty in 1938)
I'm descended from another James Kellam from the eastern shore, born c. 1770
The children of James on this chart (which wife not given) are
Fred
Frank
Linglen
Mary
Jackson
Elizabeth
Arthur P.
Lecius J.
Abel West
Margaret
I have James L and Susan Ann Goffigan being married 28 Feb 1837.
Hope this helps.
- Woody Kellum
Posted: 26 Jul 2008 7:44PM GMT
Woody,

Thank you for your reply. This is my family so I'd like to expand a little on your information. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was indeed named for Lucius J. Kellam, Jr. I personally know both he and his brother, Polk. Lucius served on a Board with my husband and he, too, showed me the original landgrant of our family on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

James Linglin Kellam married Susan Ann Goffigan 28 Feb 1837 - they had no issue. On 22 Dec 1849 James was married to Susan's sister, Sally Rasca Goffigan - they had the ten children you listed. Let me list their correct names (as far as I know): Frederick Caesar Augustus Kellam (my great-grandfather), Francis Kellam, James Linglin Kellam, Mary Esther Kellam, Jackson T. Kellam, Elizabeth S. Kellam, Arthur Page Kellam, Lucius James Kellam, Abel West Kellam, and Margaret S. Kellam.

I noticed that you spelled your name Kellum (with a "u").

Eunice

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 4:13AM GMT
I assume that you have (or could) see the original chart which my father copied. Funny that he copied the name as Lecius. I assume that Lucius Jr. has passed away by now (?) I saw a sign for L.J. Kellam Construction while traveling down the Eastern Shore, but guessed it was a son.
The spelling of the name was probably set by my great grandfather (b. 1801), who came from Accomack, VA. He grew up during the time people started to spell consistently, and might have choosen the u rather than the a after he moved away.
Posted: 27 Jul 2008 2:24PM GMT
Lucius J. Kellam, Jr. died in 1995

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 7:04AM GMT
I have info on james lingon kellam , from researching my great great grandmother famliy , her father is listed as his brother (michael p kellam) and the info I have traces them back to a richard kellam who arrive on the easten shore of virginia (accomack county) in 1635 on a ship named the primrose. email me at fswest@cox.net and I can send the info I have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic