Search for content in message boards

Alexander McQuain of VA/WV

Alexander McQuain of VA/WV

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2006 4:06PM GMT

Hi, My name is Scott Kendall.

I am a descendant of Alexander McQueen of Culpeper County. I am also the coordinator of the McQueen DNA Study.

We have been conducting the McQueen DNA Study since April, 2006. The study includes every possible variation even McQuain. We are hoping to find a descendant of Alexander McQuain to represent his lineage in our study.

The reasons we decided to include the McQuain surname: while doing research McQueen was sometimes spelled McQuain; the given name of Alexander is prolific in both families; the general locality and migration patterns of the families are similar; and the will of Dugal McQueen of MD in 1747 was written as Macquain. (and one of his sons' family has not been located)

If you would like to learn more about the study, please contact me directly at skendall@kc.rr.com.

Thanks
Scott Kendall

Re: Alexander McQuain of VA/WV

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: McQuain McQueen
Scott,

Can you please provide more detailed info on the project? History, scope, background, what all is involved or required to do the DNA process, and security of the information submitted by individuals participating. Also, if there is a website or link to more info that would be great.

Thanks, duchovlet

PS - I am a direct descendant of Alexander McQuain who immigrated from Scotland prior to US Revolutionary War. He married Mary Bodkin and settled in Pendleton Co., WV (VA).

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: McQuain
I am a direct descendant of Alexander McQuain who immigrated to the USA from Scotland prior to the Revolutionary War and settled in Pendleton Co., WV. My brother is currently in Scotland for a month and would like to do some family research. Anyone with ANY LEADS OR INFORMATION as to Alexander McQuain and our Scottish heritage, please contact me at bambam@mcquain.com with the title McQUAIN FAMILY in the subject line.

The only info I have on Alexander is that he possibly studied religion/priesthood at the University of Edinburgh. There may have been 2 other Alexander's at the university at the same time (or it could all have been the same person). Possibly Alexander was from the Isle of Skye. Possibly his father was Duncan or Malcolm.

My brother will be in Edinburgh and will also be at Isle of Skye. If you know where he may look for info please contact me.

Please share this info with other McQuain researchers at Ancestory.com and similar geneology websites.

THANKS!

Posted: 28 Jun 2011 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2011 2:47AM GMT
Surnames: McQuain, McQuian, McQueen, MacQueen, McQuene, McQuine, McQuin, Bodkin, Boykin, Botkin
This is a followup to my previous post. Sorry if this confuses you. I'm confused about everything myself.

Here is a RootsWeb link we came across regarding possible Alexander McQuain ancestors:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/JACOBITES/2001...

The RootsWeb link contains some conflicting names and dates, but I wondered if the above sparked a memory or lead with anyone?

What I find, from the above link and what I previously wrote, seems tied into Scottish religious and other history (Jacobite Rebellions?) - very, very little of which I know about. I have, very briefly, heard of McQueens immigrating to the Carolina's before (way prior to Alexander McQuain) and I know McQueen is a possible spelling variation of McQuain, plus the names *may* share a tartan. I never heard of a direct tie from the Carolina McQueens into the 1770 Alexander McQuain line though. The above RootsWeb link, however, suggests a possible connection if dates and stuff would match up better.

Did perhaps a grandfather, father (Alexander McQueen) uncle, brother, or other relation of Alexander McQuain's immigrate to the Carolina's because of the Jacobite Rebellion? Then possibly marry in the USA/Virginia (to Henrietta Cooper) and go back to Scotland, have kids (Charles, our Alexander, and William), then the father/relation came back to the USA, dying in Culpepper VA? Possibly the kids (Charles, our Alexander, and William) were abandoned in Scotland by the parents and immigrated themselves later on?

Some of this sort of goes with various theories I have heard. Please correct me if wrong, but if I read the RootsWeb link correctly (even though dates don't quite match up) the lineage might be (each number representing a generation):

1 JOHN (MACQUEEN ?)
2 JOHN (MACQUEEN ?)
3 ANGUS MACQUEEN
4 DUNCAN MCQUENE
5 ALEXANDER MCQUEEN m.Henrietta Cooper
6 Charles MCQUEEN
6 Alexander MCQUEEN (ie our old Alexander McQuain) m. Mary Bodkin
6 William MCQUEEN

I don't have my direct line and other info in front of me but the same names keep popping up and I know it was practice to name sons after fathers, grandfathers, brothers, etc. I recall an old family member saying our Alexander McQuain's dad was Duncan or Malcolm. Maybe it should have been Alexander's GRANDFATHER was the Duncan?

Any clarity or leads is appreciated.

Thanks, duchovlet
bambam@mcquain.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions