Search for content in message boards

Richard Stingfield Family History

Richard Stingfield Family History

Denise Colyar (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2004 3:02PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Stringfield, Pettus, Pay, Baylston, Moore, Johnson, Brown
Information found in my husband's grandmother's papers which included her certificate naming her a member of the "Daughters of the American Revolutions". Here is her lineage as I see many of you are wanting to have this info for your records.
Richard Stringfield came from England about 1660 and married Mary Pettus.
Sons: James, William & John
James Stringfield, b. 12/19/1735 married Mary Ann Ray.
Sons: John, James, William Ray
(Capt.) John Stringfield, b. 2/13, 1762 married Sarah Baylston
Sons: A.M. (Albert or Alfred?), Thomas, Sevier, James, William
William Stringfield married Abigail Gibbs (or Abbie Giles)
Children: John, Nathan, Emily, Mary, Louisa (?), Carrie, Lauderick
Lauderick Hudson Stringfield, b. 1/16/1810, d. 7/15/1869 married Malinda (or Belinda) Moore
Children: Christopher Columbus, Hester Ann, Leveston, Henrietta, Luther & Roxana (died in infancy), George F., Whillam H., Mary & Martha (twins), Sarah, John W. Thomas J., Julia, Charles W.
Christopher Columbus Stringfield, b. 11/26/1828, d. 2/2/1920 in Garden City Kansas, married Catherine Williams Johnson in Cooper Co., Mo 1/2/1850.
Children: Sara Frances, Levestron, Lucy Ann (died in infancy, Martha McChestney, Schyler Bert, Elizabeth Ann, William, Alice Lydia, Thomas
Martha McChestney Stringfield, b. 12/18/1858, d. 2/7/1916 married David Lusk Brown, b. 2/11/1856 d. 5/5/1930.
Children: Frank Robert, Mae Alice, William Edgart, Charles Ross, Adelaide Kathryn
Adelaid Kathryn, b. 9/20/1899 married Ronald Blaine Wills

*Richard came to America abt. the beg. of the 18th cent and settled in eastern Virginia near Jamestown.
*John, son of Richard took his two sons, James & William to join the Army of General Andrew Jackson in 1812. His son Thomas also wanted to go, but Jackson rejected him at first because of age and size. His father interjected and convinced Jackson to let him in. When Thomas was shot in the forehead it was General Jackson that picked him up and held him in his arms. They became lifelong friends. Thomas became a Methodist minister.
* Capt. John Stringfield was a chaplain in the War of 1812.

Re: Richard Stingfield Family History

Doris Stringfield (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 1:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stringfield
Looking through our Stringfield records, we show that Richard Stringfield settled in James City, Jamestown, in 1668. His two half brothers came from england sometime later. My husband's family is from Capt. John Stringfield, and his son John. He isn't listed in your book, but he is listed as having a son named Albert. Do you have any information on him? We would appreciate it.

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 11:16PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 11:48AM GMT
Loderick Hudson Stringfield is my ggreat grandfather; Thomas Jefferson Stringfield is my greatgrandfather; his son, Horace Chester Strinngfield my grandfather; Horace C. Jr. my father.

Marian Randolph (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2005 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Stringfield, Boydston, Randolph
My husband's family came from this same line, except Elizabeth (Betsy) Stringfield who married John "Gardner" Randolph. John Stringfield married Sarah Boydston and their children were:
James Britton; William Ray; Delila; Thomas; Elizabeth (Betsy); Sevier; Virginia; Temperence; Fannie; ALFORD (not Albert) and Minerva.
I do have all of each of their children also, if anyone is interested.

Posted: 28 May 2005 10:36PM GMT
I descend from the James Stringfield and Elizabeth Sumrall line. Much of my information before this marriage in 1815 is from the Zuma Magee booklet originally issued in the 1950's. The family story was that the Reverend John Stringfield, and three sons, James, Joseph(?), William, were also in the group. Thomas "sneaked" down, and wasn't found out until he was wounded. Then General Jackson stepped in to keep him "behind the lines until everything was over." or something like that. Thomas' family stayed in Tennessee, and many now hail from North Carolina before their scattering. Most of the rest of the family went to Springfield, Illinois or nearby. James, met a young woman on the way back, and stayed at their place for a year before marrying her. This was in Chickasaw County, Mississippi.
Their family moved to present day Washington Parish, Louisiana since, and have also scattered, although Texas or Baton Rouge seems to hold many of them.
James and Elizabeth Sumrall Stringfield were buried on their homestead alongside a roadway. They died in the early 1860's. During the 1920's when the road was paved and widened, they straightened it out around the family cemetery, and the headstones were moved to Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church Cemetery, where several family members at the time were members. Their remains were still under the road. A son and daughter-in-law had similar fates. The other son has a "celebrated" roadsign to point out his family cemetery.
Over the years, I have had individuals cause doubts on my lineage. One claims the Sarah Boydstun/Boyleston is not the wife of John, or does not have those purported parents (James Boydston and Mary Pruitt). An early internet posting had her born about 10 years later than her most probable birthyear(I have 1768), causing question on who her mother was, since her father was married twice. The spacing of the children meant that he did not wait long, when Mary Pruitt died. Her name, Sarah, was an aunt's name, a sister of Mary Pruitt. The oldest daughter for Tabitha Smith was Tabitha.
Another doubts that James who married Elizabeth Sumrall is a son of John and Sarah Boydstun/ Boyleston.
The Zuma Magee list of John and Sarah's children:
James Joseph(1790 - 1860) married Elizabeth Sumrall
William Ray(1794), Thomas(1796), Elizabeth "Betsy Ann"(1798), Delilah(1800), Temperence(1802), Virginia(1804), Fannie U.(1805), Sevier(1807), Alfred Moore(1809), Minerva(1810,d.young). Several of the Illinois family mentioned that the oldest son in the movement from the Appalachians to Illinois was a "J" initialled son. I believe a son was born in 1792, John or Joseph. The route of Rev. John Stringfield, according to Zuma Magee, was Buncombe and Rutherford Counties of North Carolina, into Tennessee, riding circuit for the Wesleyans, or Methodists, from Huntsville to Knoxville. This was his area during the time of the War of 1812. For a while they were in eastern Kentucky, before moving to Illinois about 1820.
Many in our lineage have become ministers, most Methodist, and some Baptists. Teachers or educators were also a big feature, and our line from James, had a Dr. David H. Stringfield,(1834-1893). He was the son who was also paved over.

Shirley Rinderknecht (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2005 5:04PM GMT
Doris, My line is James B Stringfield (1791-1863) (son of John & Sarah) who married Minerva Orr (1803-1860), 1821 in IL. I would be interested in your list of children, to see if we agree. There seems to be much disagreement on James. Thanks! Shirley

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Stringfield/Brittain
Hello there! My name is Charles Grant. I am not an avid geneaologist, I just dabble once in a while. While reading the replies, I see names that are most inquisitive to me. I may be making an extreme left hand turn here, but in noticing the names Delila and James Britton. I have an ancestor named James brittain who was married to a Delilah Stringfield, her mother may have been Mary Ann Ray Stringfield. Delilah was born around 1750 in surry co., Va. James Brittain and Delilah had a son named Horatio, of whom I am trying to research. He and 2 of his sons died while serving in the Civil war. If you have any information documenting this or any facts that could substantiate this for me I would love to hear from you. And again, I may have gotten into a whole different line of Stringfields. Thanks for you time. Charles Grant, Tx. email: charlesdgrant@yahoo.com

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: SPLANE
Denise,
I'm trying to contact you on another search subject "John M. Splane". I believe I have info you desire. Please verify a fresh email contact address. The one listed here keeps returning.
Thanks
Don

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: Stringfields, Randolphs
I have been searching for 13 months for the name of the father of (John) Gardner Randolph. Or any reference showing both his first and his middle name together. I would greatly appreciate any information on these two issues.
I have MUCH information I will be happy to share. Gardner's granddaughter, (Margaret Ann) married another Stringfield; did you know that? These two families stayed together and married together for 150 years.

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: STRINGFIELD/BOYDSTON
I'm also from this line & still live in Washington parish where James stringfield (1790-1855)& Elizabeth Sumrall settled.

I would love to have a list of the children of John Stringfield to see if this is the same line.

Thanks,

Ramona
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions