Search for content in message boards

Nancy A. WALRATH / b. abt 1818 in NY / lived in IL & MI / d. 1902 in IA

Nancy A. WALRATH / b. abt 1818 in NY / lived in IL & MI / d. 1902 in IA

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Oct 2008 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Walrath, Sayre, Sayres, Sayer, Sayers, Sterling, Carrington
Hi, I'm looking for ancestors of Nancy A. WALRATH, who was born around 1818 in New York. (The records vary -- could be a few years before or after.) Her parents were also born in New York.

Nancy married Charles SAYRE in 1838 in Will County, IL, and in 1850 they were still living there, in Joliet; he was a tailor.

Their children were:

Henry (twin)
Henrietta (twin)
Elizabeth
Clarissa/Clara
Mary
Charles
Julia
Ella/Ellen/Nellie
James

Her husband Charles died in 1854. She moved most of the family to Michigan at some point, and married widower Leander STERLING in the 1860s.

She moved to Woodbury County, Iowa, with daughter Clarissa and son-in-law Charles Carrington and died there in 1902.

There are other Walraths in the 1850 federal census of Will Co., Illinois, but I haven't been able to make the link yet. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Nancy A. WALRATH / b. abt 1818 in NY / lived in IL & MI / d. 1902 in IA

Posted: 8 Mar 2007 4:24PM GMT
Hello,

Was reading your query and noticed the mention of Leander Sterling. He was my 3rd great grandfather on my mothers side. Most of your information seems correct with regards to Leander being a widower in the 1860's, however, according to the 1870 Federal Census, he married a woman named Ann, 50 years old, born abt 1820 in New York State. Was your ancestor Nancy A. Walrath's middle name Ann? Did she use it as her given name? I'm curious, since there isn't much chance we are talking about 2 different Leanders here.

Look forward to hearing from you.

tptee

Posted: 8 Mar 2007 4:29PM GMT
A little followup to my previous query, the 1870 census also notes that his wife Ann's mother was of foreign birth. Any info on the mother of Nancy?

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 1:05AM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2008 12:03PM GMT
Surnames: Sayers, Sayre, Andrews, Anderson
Hi, yes, either Ann was the middle name, or Nancy was a nickname for Ann. (This is my most bedeviling ancestor, perhaps because I even have her photograph but CANNOT figure out her roots.)

As for the Mary "Sayers" Sayre of Bavaria listed with the family: I am unsure. At first glance it seems that she couldn't be Nancy's mother -- Nancy's mother wouldn't be a Sayre. The most obvious candidate, of course, is that she's Nancy's former mother-in-law (who would have become a Sayre by marriage). I have that person listed in a fairly reliable Sayre genealogy as Clarissa Andrews/Anderson -- could easily become Mary. However, I believe that Clarissa died in 1849. (There wouldn't be a second Sayre mother-in-law because Benjamin, the father-in-law, died in 1822.) So then I wonder, maybe she IS Nancy's mother and took on the Sayre name or had her name misrecorded in the Census. One other suggestion that this is the case: As you said, the census notes that Nancy's mother was of foreign birth (though not her father).

It IS a puzzle!

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 4:31PM GMT
My first thought was that Mary Sayers was Anns Mother-in-law too, however, it is also possible that she was simply an aunt or other relative of Anns first husband unable to live on her own and taken in by the family. This could take some research.

By all accounts, it does look like Nancy (Ann) were indeed the same person. I think we have a link here.

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 5:01PM GMT
Of further interest, If you take a look at the 1880 Federal Census, you will find Nancy Sterling (note: using Nancy again instead of Ann), living with her son Charles and his wife Elizabeth in Van Buren, Wayne, Michigan. The family surname is again being spelled SAYRE. Of course, since Leander died in 1871, he would not show up on this census anywhere. The other children must have been old enough to be out on their own.

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 12:00PM GMT
I believe this Nancy Walrath to be the d/o David A. and Elizabeth 'Betsy' Forbes. David A. was the son of Adam A. and Magdalena Klock Walrath. He died before 1828 and his widow Betsy was living with relatives in Will County, Illinois in 1850.

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 12:33PM GMT
Yes, that's them. I have quite a bit of information on the descendants -- let me know if you're interested!

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 2:17PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2008 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: Walrad, Walradt, Walradth, Walrod, Walroth, Failing
If jawswife1 is correct, then Nancy, along with her brothers and sisters are named in the 1828 Petition of John J. Failing and Mary Walrath Failing, to partition certain lands in Montgomery Co., N.Y.

If you would like additional information about the petition and the relationship of the many persons named therein, please contact me at jlw9358@comcast.net.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic