Search for content in message boards

Family of Black Elk

Family of Black Elk

Posted: 7 Mar 2007 10:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the tree of my neices husband, Wesley Black Elk. His father was a chief of the Lakota tribe and after his dad's passing, Wesley is now the chief. His grandfather (?) wrote several books, one of them is Black Elk Speaks. In this book, Sitting Bull has many conversations with Black Elk and fights in battles with him. I don't think Wesley is related to Sitting Bull, but I would like to find out. Also, any information you could tell me about how to find out more of Wesley Black Elk's family will be so appreciated.

My neice is Julie Yaekel Black Elk. I am trying to put together a complete and detailed family tree that will include the ancestry of the spouses as well. As I don't know how much time I have to complete this book, any tips are appreciated. I intend this book to be a legacy for all my family and do not want to see blank pages in it.

Thanks so much
JE

Re: Family of Black Elk

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 8:51PM GMT
I am trying to put together a family tree for my foster son. He is Kylin Guy Martin Black Elk
Father Guy David Black Elk from Pine Ridge SD
his mother is Cyndy Black Elk worked and died in Rushville NE

Was told he is related to Black Elk Speaks any help would be great and I will help if I can
THANKS

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 6:24PM GMT
My niece is married to Wesley Black Elk and is the chief of the Lakota tribe in Wisconsin. I have sent her an email asking about Guy David and will try calling her. Besides being the wife of a chief and travelling extensively promoting the Black Elk Speaks series, she is the Probation officer for the tribe and travels alot in her work also. It may take a while to get in touch with her.

I wish I could be more help, I will call her mother also and see if she knows anything.

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 3:33PM GMT
Jo Ann

Black Elk Speaks was not actually *written* by Black Elk.
It was based on conversations he had with John G NEIHARDT, originally published in 1932.

Do you have the names of Wesley's parents ?
I've traced many Black Elk family members thru census and other records.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 3:38PM GMT
Jo Ann

Can you post more information regarding the *Lakota Tribe in Wisconsin*.

Where are they actually located ?
Contact information would be great.
Thanks

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 4:35PM GMT
I can get you the tree that I have but it is not very complete, BUT trying to get it straight. My baby sister is married to a pourier that is a relative of "BIG BAT" What information do you have and what can I help you with I will do what I can. I am trying to get Kylin (foster son) enroled in the tribe right now. I just have a few more steps to get that finished.

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 5:13PM GMT
hoeler

The replies were meant for JElmore, but posted out of sequence.

The POURIER name is one I am familiar with.
Please email me directly
bobkatq@aol.com

Kathy Roberts
VA
(Admin Lakota Board)

Posted: 24 Nov 2007 5:07PM GMT
Kathy,
Thanks for the reply. I have the book so I know it's only about Black Elk. I am trying to get a response from my neice about Wesley's parents, etc but they are hard to find at home. Could you email me the information you have? That would be so great as I haven't been able to find anything and haven't thought to check census records.
Jo Ann

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 5:23PM GMT
Jo Ann

Any infoarmation from public records, I will post to the messageboard, for the benefit of other researchers.
(Living individuals excluded)

Could you possibly post the contact information for the Lakota Tribe of Wisconsin ?
Thank you.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 6:11PM GMT
Kathy, as soon as I cnontact my neice (veryhard to get in touch with) I will post it to the board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic