Search for content in message boards

ferry to Knotts Island

ferry to Knotts Island

Posted: 30 Apr 2007 8:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know where I might find a list of past captains and/or other employees for the Knotts Island Ferry in Currituck County? I am interested in the period from 1890 to 1930.

Re: ferry to Knotts Island

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 1:51AM GMT
The KNotts Island Ferry was not in operation before 1962

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 2:55AM GMT
Well that theory sank! Thanks for the input. I have about given up finding a record of Ernest Burton's experiences on the rivers and bays in NC & VA.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 11:27AM GMT
Good Morning
I don`t know much about the Knotts Island Ferry but if you
contact Kay Midgett Shepard she takes good care of the Currituck county Genealogy Web-Site she may be able to help
you.
Jack

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 11:41AM GMT
Good Morning Again
Kay Midgett Shepard e-mail Address is.

genie12@bellsouth.net

Good Luck
Jack

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 12:10PM GMT
Thanks Jack, I will do that.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 2:52PM GMT
Me Again
After looking around a bit i found one Ernest M.Burton born
about 1880 in Nc. married Lou born about 1885 living in Norfolk, Va. he wad Master of a Steam Vessel he had son
Maynard L. born 1905 all are buried in Forest lawn Cemetery
in Norfolk. Not sure if this is same Ernest are not.
Good Luck Jack

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: Burton
You are right, he is the Ernest Burton. My husband remembers him fairly well. Husband was raised by his grandmother, Ernest's sister. He and son Maynard ran the ferries either from Willowby Norfolk or the one over to Eastern Shore during the 1940s. We disagree on that. I find Ernest,forget the year, in the census with home address in Elizabeth City but working in Newport News as asst. harbor master. I think that would have to be 1920 census. His grandson says Ernest was a harbor master in Norfolk some of the time during WWII but I can't find any records of it. Ernest lived in Willowby and had his papers and keepsakes in the basement there according to grandson. All paper was lost by flooding. He also says both Ernest and son Maynard were sea captains as well before WWII. Grandson is not in good health and is some distance away. I hesitate to quiz him at this point. The brother to Ernest, Capt. William M. Burton is buried in the Burton-Parker graveyard beside the intersection of 158 south and Aydlett Rd. in Currituck Co. left hand side. The stone indicates there was a wife but don't have her name.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 7:32PM GMT
Hello Again
Is your husband son of Maynard L.Burton and Virginia S. ?

Myself i don`t remember the ferries that ran from Norfolk
to Hampton but my father did this was before there was a
Hampton Rhodes Bridge Tunnel and way before there a Chesapeake
Bay Bridge Tunnel.

According to the 1930 Census Ernest M.and Lou lived at 615
36th st. in Norfolk, well that is all i have GOOD LUCK

Jack

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 9:42AM GMT
My husband is not Maynards son but is about a 2nd or 3rd cousin. Never could keep those cousin relationships straight. Ernest and Louvertie went from Currituck to Elizabeth City NC to Pungo, Princess Anne County Va and then on to Norfolk VA. You are welcome to email me at glgwlane@netscape.net if you have other questions about the Burtons. We may be getting off the subject for the Currituck forum.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic