Search for content in message boards

Ohio death index

Ohio death index

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does Ohio have a death index website, where I could look for a death record for a Virginia Mae Wood whose maiden name was Burton and born in NC. She was married to Raymond B. Wood who was in the USAF, living at Springfield, Ohio. I can trace them to 1960 living on E. Wittenberg Blvd. I found a death record on SSDI with a June 1972 death date and her date of birth but it doesn't give any place of birth. Odd for SSDI records.

Re: Ohio death index

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:45AM GMT
Try familysearch.org

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:54AM GMT
You can send for the full Social Security card application which would have a lot more information than the SSDI gives. But Ancestry.org does have the North Carolina Birth Index. You can probably find her birth there

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:55AM GMT
Just FYI, the SSDI never includes the place of birth. It has the state where the person applied for their card, and the place where their last residence was. The place of birth is likely on the actual application, just not in the index.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 6:40AM GMT
You're right about that, but this entry didn't have that which I thought was strange/odd. Like I said I followed this one family till 1960 in Springfield, Ohio. One can get an idea where the deceased lived by city/state where last benefit was sent. This didn't even have that. Wood is one of those common names, like Smith and Jones, hard to find unless you have time to look through thousands of entries. There's got to be an easier way. What about me writing to vital records in Springfield; do you think that would render any results?

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 6:44AM GMT
Oh, I know her date of birth, birth location already. Have found all her siblings scattered in Texas, California, Florida, Alabama. I am considing looking in Springfield area for him or his death date/location. He was in USAF for a number of years..maybe he is still alive but would be in his late 80's or early 90's. One source said they had 2 daughters and the other source told me they had no children.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 12:43PM GMT
If you need to narrow down the death date, I would check city directories for Springfield. The Clark County Public Library has most years, and the Clark County Historical Society also has some of the earlier years.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:11PM GMT
I have traced them through city directories up to 1960 and unless I didn't go far enough, I didn't see anymore city directories. Will try that source again past 1960. Will also call or email the Clark County Historical Society to see how long the city directories were published. Thanks for this idea. They first resided in Newport News, Va. when he was a student and working there, then to Springfield, Ohio when he joined the USAF..I'm trying to find his draft board registration record too. The female cousin was born in 1921 and I know her exact date of birth and location, so I'm assumming he would have been about same age bracket, give or take a few years.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:26PM GMT
What is her birth year? I found a Virginia Mae Wood
born 1925 I believe but unsure if her.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:41PM GMT
HERE is a link to Clark County Ohio obits.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohclark/obituary/surw.htm

you will have to read all the ones for Wood maybe you will
find a family member.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions