Search for content in message boards

Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN
I am looking for information on the family of John L. A. Brown and his wives and families. By tradition, he md 1-Luquilla, full blood Cherokee, maybe abt 1820-1825 (or 1816 era), had children, possibly:
12 317 317 Brown Gustavus 21 M Farmer Alabama
13 317 317 Brown William 19 M Laborer Alabama
14 317 317 Brown Octavina 16 F Alabama
15 317 317 Brown Licurgus 14 M Alabama

found on the 1850 Jackson Co., AL census living with John L. A. and Mary Brown who appears to be a second wife (unless Luquilla took a white name?). Here are some of my notes.
--------------------------------------
page 73B 1850 Jackson Co., AL census
10 317 317 Brown John A. 50 M Farmer N. Carolina
11 317 317 Brown Mary 30 F Alabama
12 317 317 Brown Gustavus 21 M Farmer Alabama <<<<<
13 317 317 Brown William 19 M Laborer Alabama <<<<<
14 317 317 Brown Octavina 16 F Alabama <<<<<<<
15 317 317 Brown Licurgus 14 M Alabama <<<<<<
16 317 317 Brown Albert 9 M Alabama****
17 317 317 Brown Martha 6 F Alabama****
18 317 317 Brown Funtanelly 4 M Alabama****
19 317 317 Brown Cornelia 2 F Alabama****

1860 DeKalb AL census, page 176-176, Lebanon
Brown, John L. A. 60 m school teacher 100/250 NC
Brown, Leamann (could this name have been mistaken for Luquilla?).37, f AL
Brown, Albert G. 18 AL
Brownw, Martha A. P. 16 AL
Fantanell P. (son) 14 AL
Carolina A. 11 AL
Calhoun (son) 10 AL
Calpernia A. 6 AL***my husband's collateral line
Robert 4 AL
Mary 2 AL

1870 DeKalb AL Lebanon, p.836B, #62-64
Brown, John L A(read as S A by some interpreters, on some indexes) 69 farmer NC
Martha A. 47 AL
Cornelia A. 20 AL
Calpernia A. 15 AL
Robert S. 13 AL farm work
Garibaldi T. B. (Touton in later censes) 6 AL--male
next door is
James J. Baxter 42 blacksmith AL
Martha A P 25? AL*****daughter of John L A Brown
Francis E 4 female AL
John W. 3 male AL
Mary (Jonies?) 5/12 dau AL

by 1880 John L. A. Brown is dead (1878)
and unless she's with some of her married daughters, so is Martha A. Leamann--however see below 1900 census, appears to be same living relationship in terms of housing to daughter as in earlier censes.

1880 DeKalb, AL, p 665 Range 6 Twp 7
Brown, Faunt P. 33 m w AL AL AL
Dollie w f 31 wife AL
Ann J. w f 11 dau AL
James w m 9 son AL
Angline w f 8 dau AL
Guss w m 6 son AL
Jess w m 4 son AL
Marica L. w f 1 dau AL
1880 DeKalb Co., p 664, #72-72
-Brown, T. (or L. ? Leamann?) w f 58 housekeeper AL-listed as head of house.....think this might be Leamann and her youngest son....
-Brown, Touton w m 18 servant AL*****one of the sons of John L. A.
live next door to:
Baxter, J J
Martha A (Brown) 35 AL --dau of Leaman and John L. A. Brown
Francis E. dau 13 AL
John W. son 11 KY* AL AL--??? see 1900 below
Sarah J. dau 9 AL
Robert G. son 7 AL
Patric H. son 5 AL
1900 DeKalb AL----could be a different John W. but documented here just in case----
Brown, John W. 60 Sep 1839 didn't write state of birth ,but think was SC? or AL--think both he and wife have wrong ages written
Marthie J. wife 47 Jun 1837 *dates are off, think she was older than him* md 27 yr, 11 kids/10 living AL
Lillie J. dau w f 19 Dec 1880 single AL SC AL
Missouri E. dau w f 17 Jan 1883 single AL
Robert H. son w m 12 Jul 1887 AL
Chaldee son w m 11 Feb 1889 single AL
Lula S. dau w f 7 Feb 1893 AL
Albert B. son w m 5 Mar 1895 AL

I am trying to prove how many wives/families John L. A. Brown had, whether or not one of his wives was Luquilla, a full blood cherokee (I have not found her on any of the rolls). I believe either he or his father may have lived with the Cherokee prior to the formation of Jackson County (about 1836). What happened to his children? Especially the older ones. From Albert Gallentin Brown and down are the names I've been familiar with in doing my research and interviewing his DeKalb Co., AL descendants. But I trust the 1850 census so figure, I've missed who knows how many of his older children. Did any of his children remain in Jackson Co? Are any there today?

If anyone can shed some light on this family, I'd greatly appreciate a contact or reply. Thanks in advance.
Lana

Re: correction: Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 6:48PM GMT
The "see below census" should have read 1880 instead of 1900. Natually, Martha A. Leamann Brown is likely deceased by 1900. I think I saw her grave next to John L. A. Brown's in Black Oak Cemetery in DeKalb Co., AL near Tenbroeck Community.

Re: Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 4:47PM GMT
Martha A.P. Brown born in 1844 is kin to my husband's family. I don't know very much about the family yet. I have just started to look into this side of his family.

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: Brown/Moore
There are three marriage records in Madison Co., AL that you will find interesting.

John L. A. Brown married Penelope M. Moore 29 MAR 1827

Jesse F. married Mary Moore 22 MAR 1827

*Jeremiah married Lavenia C. Moore 17 AUG 1826

I think we can assume that the 3 Brown men married 3 Moore Sisters; however, the Brown family has been one of my own "brick walls". I know that John L. A. lived for a while in Jackson Co. and then moved on up to Dekalb Co. where he may have had other wives. My Jeremiah died in Jackson Co. He had two sons by Lavenia: John A. and Bridges J. Brown. John A. died in Scottsboro and his children moved to TX. Bridges died in the Civil War. Jeremiah had two sons by his last wife, Mary Ann Williams: Jesse Edward and Charles William who was my G-GF and he had 5 daughters, no sons. A baby who died was named Octavia. I have been told by a reliable source that the parents of these Brown brothers was John and Nancy Cotton (Bridges) Brown of NC, but I have no documented proof.
You can contact me directly at macatjax@comcast.net

Mary M. Johnson

There are no Brown descendants living in Jackson Co. now except for a first cousin of mine and his family. Jesse Edward Brown and his childen are buried in Cedar Hill, Scottsboro (they have no living descendants). Sen. C. W. Brown and his wife, Sarah (Coffey) are buried in Mt. Carmel Bridgeport along with two unmarried daughters.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 9:46PM GMT
I don't know if this information will assist in your search. My grandmother was Bonnie Marie Brown. N AL, Jackson County area. She married John Worley at the age of 13. My grandmother did have an indian mother and married an irish man 10 years older then herself. I remember very little about my uncles and aunts on the Brown side of the family. My mother's geneology report was given to my aunt after her death a few years ago. I do not know how much information is available on the maternal grandmother Brown. Any interest email me.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, BRIDGES, COTTON
Is Nancy's maiden name Cotton and a first marriage name was Bridges?...or was she a Bridges who md a Cotton and then a Brown?

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 11:12PM GMT
There is a Lycurgus Brown in TX and several familiar family member names, but after thorough research and correspondence from a descendant of this line, this is not the same Brown line as far as we can tellas the Lycurgus Brown of Jackson Co., AL. These people decended from a Samuel Brown (b. late 1700s) of Virginia. It seems like the dates were a bit off for this line to be the same one.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 11:31PM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2012 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, WILSON
I am not sure if this Brown line is related, Bonnie Marie Brown of Jackson Co., AL. I have one Brown line (Edward Henry Brown family) in Jackson County who moved to TN (was related to the James S. Brown family in North DeKalb.

I have not found a connection between these two Brown lines yet. I also know of a 3rd Brown line, not thought related to James S. Brown line who lived/died young adult in Jackson Co., AL. I think this young lady Jennie Brown who md Will Brown (descends from James A. Brown line) were not related. She died in childbirth-buried with her baby who died at birth- and he died a few years later. Jennie's parents are John A. Brown, b. abt 1835, md 1855 in Jackson, AL to Judith Wilson.

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 7:06PM GMT
Let's go back to the marriage record of John L. A. Brown and Penelope M. Moore in Madison Co., AL in 1826. I think that on the 1850 Jackson Co. census, the M. probably stands for Mary and perhaps that is the name that she preferred.

I have no idea when she died; however, I am skeptical that John married an Indian unless it was after he moved to Dekalb Co. I don't have any connection in my Brown family to anyone of Indian descent.

It would appear from the names of John's children that he was an educated man and perhaps enjoyed reading classic literature. I will tell you that Jeremiah Brown's sons were educated and that my G-GF was Sen. C. W. Brown of the AL State Senate, attended West Point, but graduated from the Univ. of AL and that his brother, Jesse Edward lost a leg in the Civil War, became an attorney and Judge in Jackson Co. John A. Brown built the "Brown-Proctor" house in Scottsboro that now houses the Heritage Center.

Thomas Norman Brown (eldest son of John A.) moved to Jack Co., TX along with the rest of this family after their father died along with their Mother, Judith America Wisdom.
In the generations of this family, the name "Penelope" is seen several times.

Jeremiah Brown's 2nd oldest son was named "Bridges J. Brown" and the last that I find of him he was in a hospital in Richmond, VA 1862. We know that he died. He left no descendants. The oldest daughter was Nancy, but we know little of her except that she married a Mr. Yates and moved away. This is the reason that I believe that the parents of John, Jeremiah and Jesse were John and Nancy Cotton Bridges and that they did come to AL from NC, but I do not have any other records to support this except for family tradition.

As for Jesse Brown, the other brother: In the Will of Jeremiah Brown, he left "the Jesse Brown tract of land" to his oldest son, John A. This would lead me to believe that he died sometime before 1860 and left no wife or heirs.

I live in FL and seldom get back to Jackson Co. these days as I have very few living relatives there now. If any of you still live anywhere near Huntsville, I would suggest that you make a trip to the library and look up court records for this Brown family. I wish that I was able to do so, but, unfortunately, cannot make the trip often now.

If you would like to contact me directly, my email is macatjax@comcast.net

Mary M. Johnson

P. S. The land patents are on line for Jackson Co.

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2012 10:52PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, MOORE, BAXTER, BURT
Thank you for the reply. If I learn anything definite, will get back with you.

Interesting, maybe she did use"Mary", however, I've always heard her referred to as Martha Ann Penelope (or is that her daughter?). I am thinking that Penelope might have outlived John (actually, he went by the name of Gus -short for Augustas). Somewhere I saw that marriage listed but not in Madison Co. records...will have to find the info.
There may not even be a marriage record between John L. A. and Luquilla; Duncan Baxter wrote a booklet about 1960 and included many interviews with elderly relatives as well as courthouse research and he had written about John L. A. and Luquilla. At least one of the descendants in J. L. A. line
married a Brown. Don't remember the connection but my g/gfather Brown md 2nd Maude Baxter (she was a good bit younger than he and asked us to call her Aunt Maude; she descends from the Willis Baxter line, collateral to my James Jackson "Jimbo" line)...confusing. At any rate, I am researching, Baxter, Brown, Burt which intermarried sometimes and have common ancesters.
John A., son of John L. A.) is sometimes mistaken for his father and his children's names were similar. That's what makes it so difficult to sort these people out.

BTW, do you know much about the Moore line? My ggg/mother md Tom or George Moore about 1861 and he died in the Civil War and she was left a widow, Serene Elizabeth Igou Moore who later md Napolean Bonaparte Burch of Jackson County. She is my g/mother's g/mother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic