Search for content in message boards

Priscilla Shortridge (abt 1737 NC-d.bef 1810 KY) md NC Thomas JONES (abt 1733 ,Wilkes Co., NC-d.abt 1818 Montgomery Co.,KY, son of William JONES & his wife Jane [LANE?])

Priscilla Shortridge (abt 1737 NC-d.bef 1810 KY) md NC Thomas JONES (abt 1733 ,Wilkes Co., NC-d.abt 1818 Montgomery Co.,KY, son of William JONES & his wife Jane [LANE?])

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2005 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: JONES, SHORTRIDGE, LEE, THOMPSON, READY, FOSTER, LANE, WILSON, McDONELL,WHITAKER,
I am related to two of the 4 known children of William JONES of North Carolina who moved to Kentucky. (1)My Thomas JONES (abt 1733 b. in Wilkes or Rowan Co.,North Carolina-d. bet. 1814 and 1819 Montgomery County, Kentucky) was the son of William JONES and Jane LANE (possible maiden name). Thomas' sister my (2) Jane JONES (b. abt 1728 Rowan Co.,NC-d.1842 Sharpsburg,Bath Co.,Kentucky) md abt 1750 Rev. James Ludwell LEE (b. 1725 Bertie Co.,North Carolina-d. bef Oct 1759 Rowan Co.,NC) and 2nd md 1759 Rowan Co., North Carolina to Closs THOMPSON.

William JONES (b. abt 1700 Wales-d.bef 1755 Wilkes or Rowan Co.,NC) and wife Jane (possibly dau. of Thomas LANE & wife Nancy) were also parents of (3)James JONES (b. about 1730 Wilkes Co.,NC, md Jane THOMPSON; and (4)Nancy JONES (b.abt 1734 Wake Co.,North Carolina, md _?_ WHITAKER).

Other of the 10 children of Thomas JONES (1732/1734 Wilkes or Rowan Co.,NC-d.1814/1819 Montgomery Co.,KY) and Priscilla SHORTRIDGE are Thomas, James, Elizabeth,Jane, John, Benjamin, Mary JONES (d. abt 1810 Bath, KY, md James WILSON and md 2nd _?_ MCDO
NNELL), Nancy JONES (md Lawrence THOMPSON). Joseph JONES (b. 1754-d.1829 Montgomery Co., KY, md Lucy FOSTER)and Francis JONES (b. 1765 Rowan, NC-1832 Bath Co.,KY, md 1791 Madison Co., Kentucky to Elizabeth THOMPSON). Also my Rachel JONES (b. abt 1762 Rowan Co., NC-d. bef 1850 Gibson Co.,Tennessee) married 23 April 1779 Chowan Co., North Carolina to John READY (b.1751 Chowan Co., North Carolina-d.aft 1811 in Alabama or Tennessee md lst Euphemia BROWN). John READY was the son of William READY or John READY in Chowan County, NC,

Can anyone help me with documentation or information on any of these families?

Re: Priscilla Shortridge (abt 1737 NC-d.bef 1810 KY) md NC Thomas JONES (abt 1733 ,Wilkes Co., NC-d.abt 1818 Montgomery Co.,KY, son of William JONES & his wife Jane [LANE?])

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2004 8:28PM GMT
Hi, April!

I am descended from Thomas and Jane Jones, brother and sister. There has been speculation about the name of their father -- William being one name suggested but with no proof that we have been able to discover. We understand, however, according to the Autobiography of Elder Wilson Thompson, that the parents of Thomas and Jane migrated together from England (very possibly he was originally from Wales), and that there are 5 known and named children.

We also believe that Priscilla Shortridge was the wife of this Thomas Jones.

We have no absolute proof that James Ludwell Lee, the first husband of Jane Jones, was from Bertie County, NC.

Lee and Jones are such very common names that one has to be very careful in any assumptions, and there are some very poorly documented sites on the Web referring to these individuals.

I would be glad to "chat" further by e-mail as I rarely check these message boards.

My double descent is from Francis, son of Thomas Jones, who married Elizabeth Thompson, daughter of Jane Jones Lee Thompson -- first cousins!

My documentation to NC Joneses is very solid.

Carol

Re: Priscilla Shortridge (abt 1737 NC-d.bef 1810 KY) md NC Thomas JONES (abt 1733 ,Wilkes Co., NC-d.abt 1818 Montgomery Co.,KY, son of William JONES & his wife Jane [LANE?])

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2005 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: JONES, SHORTRIDGE, THOMPSON
Dear Carol,

I can't find that Priscilla's last name was Shortridge. There were no SHORTRIDGES in that right area in NC or KY at the dates to have been her parents.

The most likely SHORTRIDGE to have been Priscilla's parents were Mary and William SHORTRIDGE (he died in 1783 in Fairfax Co.,VA). Three of their sons died in Kentucky which make them a likely family connection, but they came to Kentucky AFTER the death of Priscilla (before 1810 Montgomery Co.,KY). John SHORTRIDGE (b. 1740 VA-d.1819 Montgomery Co.,KY) was the only son in Montgomery Co.

Another thing that bothers me is that Thomas JONES' 1814 Montgomery Co.,KY will calls his daughter RAchel, Rachel McLANE (rather than READY). I can't find a Rachel Ready who married a McLANE??????

I did find William JONES wife's, Jane Lane, family in Bertie Co., NC.

I would appreciate getting whatever documentation that you have on the JONES.

I'm confused about the 2 Francis JONES (son of Priscilla and Thomas d. 1814 Montgomery Co.,KY and son of his brother James d. aft 1800 Wilkes Co., NC & wife Jane Thompson JONES) who married wives named Elizabeth THOMPSON. (1) Francis JONES who married 9 Jan 1789 Orange Co., NC and (2) Francis JONES who married 18 Aug 1791 Madison Co.,Kentucky.

I sure can use your help with the JONES. I can't find either our William (supposedly died bef 1755 Rowan Co.,NC) or his son Thomas JONES in Rowan Co., NC. For example the only J's in the earliest 1759 Rowan Co., Tax List:

Francis JOHNSTON (Crane CR).....James JOHNSON.....William JAMES.....Jas. JACKSON, & 2 sons and free NEGRO.....Abraham JETUN.....James JACKSON.....Cornelius JUNER.....Robett JOHNSON.....Edward JOHNSON.....William JOHNSTON

I hope that you have found more documentation that I have and can help straighten my data.

Hope to hear from you soon,
April

per page

Find a board about a specific topic