Search for content in message boards

New to Catahoula Research -- Questions on Early Probate George W Rider

New to Catahoula Research -- Questions on Early Probate George W Rider

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RIDER
Anyone experienced with researching early records in Catahoula Parish that can provide some advice? I've researched all over the USA, Canada and Germany but I am new to LA research.

A probate ad in 1879 and 1886 and subsequent research led me recently to a cousin who all that was recorded about him was "he married and southern woman and went south." He was from New York born 1779.

South apparently is Catahoula Parish. I have him on a census in Harrisonburg in 1820. I can't find him before or after anywhere in USA. He daughter ended up at some point later in Mississippi and then elsewhere. From a post on this board (regarding another family) I know George W Rider bought property in Sicily Island in 1819 thru auction.

I found an online transcription (not sure if complete or not) of conveyance book c that had two different records of debts that were owed to him. The first had no date but called him deceased. The second (listed in the next record) said succession of George W Rider and was dated 12 Feb 1832. So I'm guessing he was dead by 1832 possibly before since he is not on the 1830 census.

I checked for microfilms of Probate in the Family History Catalog. They are called successions but start in 1846. What about earlier records, like early 1830s or late 1820s?

Would earlier probates be in the Notarial Books which are listed as conveyance in one spot?

Thanks for any advice.

Lisa

Re: New to Catahoula Research -- Questions on Early Probate George W Rider

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Lovelace, Peck, Holstein, Gilbert, Kirkland
Have you found First Settlers of Catahoula Parish: 1808-1839 by Carol Knight Young? It is in book form and is also available on USGenWeb for Catahoula Parish and has 10 or more references to G Rider.
It has been invaluable to me. Good luck.
Barbara

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 1:56AM GMT
Yes, I did find it.

Searching after finding the board message mentioning George lead me to the book on the Catahoula genweb archive. And the other entries under variations of his name.

It looks to me like the author has essentially copied the earliest conveyance books. But do you know if it is a word-for-word transcription or just a abstraction of the key points? It seems to me (from many of the entries) to be an abstraction but I'm not positive. Another question is, is it all records located in the books?

Unfortunately, Catahoula seems to be early records poor.

Lisa

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 3:48AM GMT
Hi Lisa,

I can't remember how far the books go back at the Catahoula Parish Court house... hove you called the Clerk of Courts office there?? They are very helpful and would be able to ell you a few basics. I won't be going up there for a while or I'd look for you! I believe those records have been microfilmed. Have you looked at those?

I'd love to help you if I can... and if you aren't able to find out more, I'd be happy to look next time I'm up that way! Let me know how you fair, ok?

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 5:25AM GMT
They must be abstractions, too short to be transcriptions, I think. And I believe those are all of the records for those years. However, I am not sure.
Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic