Search for content in message boards

Live Oak Plantation on Bayou Lafourche

Live Oak Plantation on Bayou Lafourche

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2013 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Gonzales
My husband's ancestors worked on Live Oak Plantation around the turn of the 20th century. Adam Gonzales, children, and his widowed sister Velina Gonzales (perhaps also married to a Gonzales?). I have seen other people who also lived at Live Oak in the 1900 census, many of whom were descendents of the people who migrated from the Canary Islands to the Bayou Lafourche area. I am also aware that Live Oak's owner Mary Pugh donated all her family's papers to LSU, many of which reference Live Oak. That being said, I cannot find any photograph of this plantation online, save for pictures of several different Live Oak plantations scattered around the South and Louisiana. Did this plantation ever have a manor house, or was it strictly a farm tract? And was it nearer Madewood, also owned by the Pugh family, or closer to Thibodaux. I do know that the parish church the Gonzales family attended was St. Philomena's in Labadieville, if this is any help. If anyone has any information on this plantation, I would really appreciate their response. Thanks.

Re: Live Oak Plantation on Bayou Lafourche

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:46AM GMT

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 1:56PM GMT
Thank you for all these links. However, not one of them even mention a Live Oak plantation that might have existed at one time on Bayou Lafourche. I am still searching, with little success.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 3:16PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2013 3:18PM GMT
There are 4 existing plantations with that name
Live Oak [Feliciana]
Live Oak [Red River]
Live Oaks [Attakapas]
Live Oaks [False River]

IT COULD BE JUST A WORKING FARM HOUSE/CREOLE COTTAGE AND NOT A LARGE PLANTATION AND THEY DO CHANGE NAMES WITH NEW OWNERS OVER THE YEARS.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 1:23AM GMT
would put it by Thibodaux,
from 1900 census
29 Police Jury Ward 5 (part) including Live Oak Plantation
Dividing line of Ward 5 is the upper line of the Parish of LaFourche to upper line of Live Oak Plantation.
http://www3.gendisasters.com/louisiana/6201/thibodaux-la-exp...
As the steamer RIGHT WAY, on her up trip, was debarking freight at the Live Oak Plantation, two miles above Thibodaux, on Bayou Lafourche

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:18AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 2:37AM GMT
go to google maps and type in 1880 Hwy 308, Thibodaux,LA maybe where it was located,

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 6:36PM GMT
Thanks for the Google map location. There doesn't seem to be anything there, save for a farm road, but a little way down the road at approx. 1868 Hwy 308, there is a reasonably large old house, back from the road with large live oaks surrounding it, and many deteriorating dependencies. The next road, leading back into the fields is called Home Cottage Rd., which leads me to believe that this house is called Home Cottage, which was at one time occupied by the Roger family...could this be the same Ernest Roger company that purchased part of Live Oak plantation from the Pugh's??

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:32PM GMT
http://www.trailbehind.com/node/2089239/
type 1880 hwy 308 Thibodaux under search and pass mouse over
little house will give name of plantation . Will see what I
can find Home Cottage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions