Search for content in message boards

William B. Van Vorst

William B. Van Vorst

Posted: 27 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Sep 2001 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Van Vorst, Swain
Looking for William B. Van Vorst, who married my great aunt Catherine Swain, about 1871, both of Jersey City, Hudson Co. They and his parents Cornelius and Elizabeth lived on Wayne St. and shee died several years after their marraige as well did their baby. He disappears out of the city directory in 1877, and I don't know anything more about him after that. He was born about 1843.

Re: William B. Van Vorst

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 10:30PM GMT
I live in Jersey City on Wayne street just a few doors down from where the Van Vorst lived. That house in now an apartment building built about 1920. But there is an idential house to the Van Vorst house, called the Barrow mansion, owned by Cornelius's borther in law Dr Barrow. Are you familiar with it ?

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 12:29AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2002 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: William Van Vorst
Please tell me more- I don't know about this and I am about to come to NYC and that area for 3 weeks so I could come see this house. I leave the 11th of Sept. Sue Maxwell

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2002 7:51PM GMT
You can e mail me if you like. Here it is good for other people to collect info. It mansion is about 2 blocks from the Gove Street Path station , 8 minuets from the world trade center. The area has much of the dame houseing as built after 1860. Most of it is a little later 1880 victorian brick. You should get that book of old photos called Jersey City. Plan to spend a day in the Jersey Room at the top of the jersey City Library on Jersey Ave about 3 blocks from the path train, and some time in Van Vorst park, that it over looks. We even have hotels here again. The city is having a gentrifacation.

Barrow Mansion Van Vorst Mansion Twin

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 12:41AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2002 7:51PM GMT
It is open to the public as an office building, theater and AA meeting Hall , call ahead for a tour. It may be possible. It is owned by St Mathew's Lutheran Church on Wayne Street call the Pastor's office for permission. Currently it is being restored. It can be hired for weddings.

Posted: 16 Oct 2001 3:08PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2002 1:03AM GMT
Well, I was in the airport on Sept 11th getting ready to come up to that area-so I never made it. Last night I talked with a man who has done alot of research on this family, and he is going to send me the info. I got his name through calling that mansion. Thankyou for your help. So sorry about all of the recent events- we all need to turn to our Heavenly Father for assistance now. I will probably come up sometime in the future, but will wait til it seems safer. Thanks again sue Maxwell

Posted: 29 Jan 2002 12:44AM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 1:09PM GMT
I have been researching my family tree and stumbled upon a message board in aol.com under familyhistory.com about William Van Vorst. I don't know if it the same William but I hope it helps. I am looking and have gotten stuck at parents of Thomas Van Vorst. They were from Pennsylvania. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions