Search for content in message boards

Elijah M. Smith, dad Larkin Smith

Elijah M. Smith, dad Larkin Smith

Connie (Smith) Hull (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2004 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
I know that Larkin Smith was the father of Elijah M. Smith but can't find anything on Larkin. He was born in around 1774 in Virginia. Thanks

Re: Elijah M. Smith, dad Larkin Smith

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2004 5:16AM GMT
Surnames: Brand, Crouch, Wilson, Walls, Weaver, Killion
Does your Elijah M. Smith have a son named Elijah M. Smith Jr.? If so was he married to a Sarah C. Crouch? If we have a connection would appreciate a reply. Thank you. Judy

Posted: 24 Mar 2004 6:25PM GMT
Elijah married Lucinda Walker and when she died he married Mary E. Bell.

Denzil L. Ford (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2004 6:12PM GMT
I am interested in the Parents of Lucinda Walker. I show that in Brown County, Indiana that an Elijah Smith married Emily A. Ward 9/14/1865. I also show that Elijah M. Smith married Sarah C. Kirts 2/22/1872. I again Show Elijah M. Smith married Mary E. Bell 12/2/1875. I show in the Brown County Cemetery a Lucinda Smith b. 11/12/1849 and d. 3/16/1867. Lucinda is buried in the Dobbs Cemetery. I am working on a Walker History, and would like information about Lucinda Walker. Thanks in Advance.

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 5:19AM GMT
I have that Elijah Madison Smith married Lucinda T. Walker around 1826. She died 7/17/1874. Elijah married Mary E. Bell in Brown County. There is 9 children I have been told. James David Smith which is my great great grandfather, Robert W. Smith, Francis Marion, William J., Martha, Gordon C., Lucinda, Ed, and Elizabeth. Hope this helps. I have just been doing this for almost two months.

Posted: 24 Apr 2004 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Summa, Henderson, Daily, Kerns, Etchison, Damron
I am very interested in what proof exists for Larkin Smith being the father of Elijah M. Smith, as I have been looking for
Elijah's father and mother for over four years. Elijah M. Smith was married to Lucinda T. Henderson (not Lucinda Walker as reported in the Hamblin book) on 16 Jun 1827 in Augusta County, Virginia. They had ten children, including James David Smith (my ancestor) and Elijah Monroe Smith. James married Eliza Ann Summa, daughter of George Summa and Jerutia Daily, on 3 Aug 1856 in Brown County, Indiana. Elijah, Lucinda, Eliza and James are buried in the Taggert Cemetery in Brown Co. (Happy to send you photos of their graves) If you would like info regarding the ancestors in the
Henderson and Summa lines, let me know.

Travis East (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 9:16PM GMT
Lucinda T Walker is buried in Taggart Cemetery on Hoover Road in Brown county right next to Elijah M. Smith. I have pictures of the gravestones if you are interested in seeing them. The url for my family tree web site is

http://www.bsu.edu/web/taeast/familytree/familytree.html

Click on Elijah or Lucinda's links to see the images of their gravestones. There is a saying on Elijah's stone which has the word Christ mispelled. I have the whole quote somewhere if anyone is interested in it. The carving on the stone is so worn that it took some time to figure out what it said.

Travis East
Son of Brenda (Smith) East

Connie Hull (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2004 1:11AM GMT
Travis East please email me at chull4951@cs.com. I have more info for your family tree on the smith side. Connie (Smith) Hull

Travis East (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2004 3:27AM GMT
I am very curious as to how you found out that Walker is wrong. I am related to the Smiths through Brenda R - Donald A - Gordon C - Robert W - and then back to Elijah M.

Thanks in advance

Travis East

Posted: 5 Jun 2004 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Henderson, Bell
Hi Travis:

You may not remember but we communicated a while back re: whether Larkin Smith is really Elijah's father. (I haven't seen the proof). Trying to reconstruct my thought process for Elijah's wife being Lucinda Henderson, not Lucinda Walker---
1. I did an analysis of the Federal Census records for an Elijah Smith in the 1830 and 1840 Virginia Census Books (Elijah's census records always show him born in Virginia):

Only one close to showing the same family structure as our Elijah is in 1830 book as Elijah Smith of Augusta County, showing 1 male under 5, 1 female under 5 (possible older sister of William J.), male and female adults the right age, between 25-30, and one female slave, age between 10-24. Other counties except for Lewis are completely off. Parents in Lewis County's Elijah are too old by at least ten years. 1840 Virginia index still shows the Lewis County Elijah still living there, but secondary sources indicate our Elijah moved to Ohio about 1835-36 and was living there until between 1838-1842. No hit on Indiana census book for 1840.

2.I checked the Augusta County Marriage index for the marriage of an Elijah Smith and a Lucinda, and found that Elijah M. Smith married Lucinda Henderson in Augusta County on 16 June 1827 Minister: William C. Morrison (Methodist, Pendleton). .

3. I visited the Brown County, Indiana clerk's office a few years back and looked up what death records I could for the Smith family. William Jackson Smith's (Elijah's oldest son's) death record shows that his mother's maiden name was Henderson.

I was not able to find Elijah's death record--or Lucinda's.

The only reference to Lucinda being a Walker is in the book, Hamblen and Allied Families, but no source is quoted.

I have not been back to look yet for the marriage record of Elijah and his second wife, Mary E. Bell, married 2 Dec 1875, allegedly in Brown County.

Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions