Search for content in message boards

Bruce's of Pittsylvania Co., Virginia

Bruce's of Pittsylvania Co., Virginia

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 2:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2006 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: BRUCE, MUSTAIN
Does anyone have any connections to the Bruce's of Pittsylvania Co, Virginia? I am fairly certain I am from the line of James Brewis (Bruce) and Tabitha Mustain both of Pittsylvania Co, VA abt 1755 and 1762 respectively. Their children:
Tabitha, William L., Catherine, Sarah, Thomas, Frederick, Winifred, Elizabeth, James, Anselm, and Susanna. I am of the James line.

Re: Bruce's of Pittsylvania Co., Virginia

Dora (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2003 12:48AM GMT
Do you have a date of birth for Thomas Bruce?

Posted: 7 Feb 2003 2:00AM GMT
There are a few Thomas Bruce's:

Thomas Bruce b. abt 1753 in England (son to James Bruce* of England), uncle to Thomas Bruce b. abt 1788 in Pittsylvania Co, VA to James Bruce** and Tabitha Mustain. There was another Thomas, Thomas J. born to William L. and Mary Eads abt. 1816 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. James Bruce** and William L. were brothers.

Any connections?

Bennett Bruce (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2003 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Bruce
My great grandfather was Thomas Bennett Bruce of Pittsylvania county. He was in company H of the 22th division of the conferate army and I beleive he was born sometime between 1820 and 1845. I am currently researching who his father was and when my particular family came to America.

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 7:37PM GMT
I am trying to find the father of Charles Henry Bruce born 1818 in Pittsylvania, Virginia. Would he be a son of your Thomas Bruce perhaps?

Dora (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2004 4:33PM GMT
No, my Thomas Bruce was born in 1810/1811 in Tennessee. I still don't know his parents or siblings names.

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 3:22AM GMT
Surnames: BRUCE
I am assuming you mean Thomas Bruce b. 1788. It is possible. Unfortunately I don't have any information on this Thomas other than he was the brother of James Bruce (& son of James & Tabitha Bruce).

Posted: 27 Sep 2005 3:05AM GMT
I am off of Thomas Bruce's line. I would like to exchange information if possible. I don't have much. I only got as far as Thomas Bruce and I'm not sure if it's the same one..My Thomas bruce married Susannah Grable.

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 10:33PM GMT
I descend from Rachel Bruce dau. of John Bruce Jr. of Halifax Co., Va. It has been said that John Bruce Sr. of Halifax, James Bruce,Michael Bruce and Robert Bruce (Brewis, an alternate spelling) were brothers. Michael and John lived in Halifax while James and Robert lived in Pittsylvania. Another source(Lean Baker) suggests they were sons of Samuel Bruce. I would like to further correspond with anyone studying these Bruce men. Racheal Bruce married James. H. Hall in 1821 in Halifax and moved circa 1835 to Carroll Co., Tn. with lots of her family. Grace Hall Upshaw

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: BRUCE
Hi Grace, I would like to see if our families are related too. I descend from James Bruce, Jr. b. abt 1755 in Pittsylvania County. I found a PittsCo census of 1782 and 1785 and it lists a James Bruce, Jr. and James Bruce, Sr. I am wondering if this James Bruce, Sr. is the brother of your John Bruce, Sr. in Halifax. If I recall there was a Robert Bruce near by too. Do you have dates for the brothers? Your connection is one I have not run across yet. And to be truthful I am stuck at this generation. My James Bruce, Jr. moved to Highland County, Ohio when he was about 18 to live with his older brother William, but I believe the rest of the Bruce's remained in or near PittsCo, VA.

J.J. Shew
per page

Find a board about a specific topic