Search for content in message boards

Websearch Merge not working properly for census data

Websearch Merge not working properly for census data

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I upgraded to version 21.21.379 from the previous version of FTMM-2. When trying to merge census data for a family I was presented with only the head of the family and two children. None of the other children, nor the wife were presented as options to add to the merge, nor were other relatives living with the head of the family. In the past all individuals merge presented all individuals in the household and then asked if I wanted to merge them.

Is this a bug? Is anyone else having this problem?

Re: Websearch Merge not working properly for census data

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:01PM GMT
Which country and year census? Not all census are coded the same, and there's a reason. Within the census itself, there is no evident relationship to the head of household.

This stands for US Census 1870 and prior, Canadian 1881 and prior. I'm not versed in the UK, but maybe someone else can post those.

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 10:23PM GMT
Thanks, i was working with the 1871 Canadian census.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 5:00PM GMT
This error is reoccuring. For several months, the problem went away. It was working properly in the version prior to 21.2.5.487. Now using that version and trying to link to several individuals in the 1870 US Federal Census, I am only presented with one member of the family. I don't want to click on each member of the family to link the census data.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 5:29PM GMT
Colleen,

Please verify the Version of Family Tree Maker that you are using.

Russ

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 6:03PM GMT
Hello Russ,
Thanks for coming to my aid. I am using version 21.2.5.487 which is the most current. Thinking back to some advice I received from Tech support when this error first occurred in 2011, I tried searching from within FTMM2 for the same census data to link for the same family. I was then presented with all of the family members, save one which was easily corrected to a similar named person in my file. So, the merge is working now.

Perhaps one is only presented with multiple individuals to merge when one does a census search for a family from within FTMM2 and not from the web site back to FTMM2?

Thanks!

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 6:59PM GMT
Edited: 6 Dec 2012 7:08PM GMT
>> trying to link to several individuals in the 1870 US Federal Census<<

The US 1870 Census doesn't imply the relationship to the head of household. You must link each person individually. This is the way ALL census that DO NOT imply the relationship to head of household work.

This not a functional issue of FTMM, this issue is the user not understanding the source format.

If they had read my previous post, I stated that ALL US census 1870 and prior, function this way and why they do. It's not an issue with Ancestry, the software, the indexing. It's the format of the census itself. When a census doesn't include the relationship to the H of H, you don't want they system to guess for you, and it doesn't.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:03PM GMT
Colleen,

Sorry, your post didn't mention FTMM-2. I have done a number of Web Merges with FTMM-2 and it works as it always has.

When you look at the Census Record, are there other names?

Please past a link to that Census Page and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

Russ

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:04PM GMT
dklart,

Absolutely. Not all Census Records work the same way when doing a Web Merge. This is a great example of that.

Russ

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 8:05PM GMT
Hi Russ,
Thanks for helping me. As luck would have it after I did manage to merge by using the search function within FTMM-2 for Mac, I then got the error message Family Tree Maker is Updating This Tree
The tree "NAME OF MY TREE" is unavailable while it is being updated by Family Tree Maker. Other trees may be available while this is happening."

So, now my tree appears to be messed up. I"m traveling now but will reply late this weekend to see if I can describe my problem carefully enough for you to reproduce it as you suggested.

Thanks again!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions