Search for content in message boards

Samuel Bair died about 1849

Bair Cemetery

Posted: 11 Dec 2000 9:45PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2003 4:24AM GMT
Hi Jeff,
This article was written or published Jan. 1999 in The Pennsylvannia Mennonite Hertiage Magazine.It does show a map.It says something about going South on Peters Road its south of New Holland, Earl Twp Lancaster County, Penn. The map shows Peters Rd.then its between Custer Ave. and Mentzer Rd.and these 2 rds. seem to go north. It seems there are a lot of Bears buried there, it shows two old graves very hard to read.My family are the Hans Jacob Bar side.It seems like alot of the family were either Mennonite, or New Holland or Lancaster Lutheran etc.They do charge to do research in the Mennonite Library if your not a member. You might be able to find more information out by going to the churches or Lancaster Historical Soc.. Anyway I hope this helps. Good Luck on your research. I wish I could go maybe someday.
Sincerely, Carol Holman

Bair cemetery

Posted: 12 Dec 2000 8:56AM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2004 12:38AM GMT
Thanks, Carol,

I was able to find the location on a map. I'll check it out over the holidays. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Bair Cemetary

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 8:00AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2003 8:04PM GMT
If you go looking for the Bair cemetary, it is located about 400 feet North of the road behind a house and a commercial building. Not easy to see from the road and no road into it. Ask at the commercial building and they will let you walk across their property to get there. Good luck.

Samuel Bair

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 8:03AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2003 8:04PM GMT
Sorry for the late answer but my Samuel Bair never left Franklin County Penn that I can tell. He died in Fannett Twp of Franklin Co. Thanks anyway.

SAMUEL BAIR OF OHIO

Posted: 7 Apr 2001 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 3:47AM GMT
Hi Carol, I read your message to Vernon about the Bair Families. Your subject was Jane Evans Best. Do you know how I can get in touch with her? One of my Great-Great Aunts, Susan Kensinger, married a Samuel Bair from Ohio. Susan was from Princeton,Scott County, Iowa. They had 3 daughters that I know of, Katy (Katherine ),Ella and Minnie Elizabeth Bair. I am trying to locate where Samuel and Susan Bair are buried. Their daughter Minnie Elizabeth married a fellow by the name of Hans Peter Erickson. They lived in Clackamus County,Oregon. Any information would be of help. Would be willing to share my history on the Kensinger's. You can reach me at: mudjim@aol.com. Thanks for your help! MARY KENSINGER CONWAY,

Samuel Bear\ Bair

Posted: 10 Apr 2001 6:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 3:47AM GMT
Dear Mary,
I know I have my Grandpa David Bair 's brother Samuel Bear/Bair who according to Jane Evans Best was born in 1821 and died in Middletown, Ohio August 4, 1851. It doesn't mention who he was married to or who his kids were. Their are two Middletown,Ohio's. I know my great Grandpa Charles Bair was born in Cincinatti,Ohio and one of the Middletown's is north of their.
Also according to the 1850 Ohio census it list these Samuel Bears in the following counties Prebble county lists 2 people same # and Twp 440 Twin Township, Stark 039 Palin Township, Putnam 071 Ottawa twp,Wayne 350 Greenetwp, Seneca 371 Loudon twp, Crawford 049 Todd twp, Wayne 530 Wooster twp,and Clark 029 German twp.The # are the page #.You can go to your State Historical society by your Capitol they do have all state cenus records on micro film.
Jane Evans Best address is 660 Willow Valley Square M307, Lancaster, Pa. 17602 - 4874. I hope this helps you.I did write Mrs. Best today and ask her if she knows my Samuel's wife and kids names.Let me know if you need anymore help. Bye for now.
Carol Holman

Re: Samuel Bair died about 1849

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Jerry - hope you are still out there.
Hannah, dau of Samuel and Margaret Bair, married David Peterson, my wife's 2nd great grandfather. Did you ever learn who the parents were for Samuel and Margaret Steel Bair?
John

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 2:51AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2003 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: BAIR, STEEL, MILLER, SENSENY, KLING, REGAN
Samuel Bair, born 21 Jan 1785, who married Margaret Steel was also my husband's ancestor. He was the son of Michael Bair who died in Fannett Twp, Franklin County, PA. (Note: Samuel died between 1827 and 1830. Margaret is a widow in the 1830 census of Fannett Twp. She later married Jacob Coons as his second wife. What is your source for the 1849 death date?)

Franklin County Will Abstracts

Will Bk B, pg 107. Will of Michael Bear, Fannett Twp, w/w 6 Apr 1801, w/p 8 May 1801.
Wife Margaretha all personal estate and if she is willing to give the said estate to her sons, then they shall build her a house of stone thirty feet long by twenty eight broad and two stories high and provide her with a comfortable living. I bought a farm from Noah Abraham, also one from Andrew Duglas – son John is to have first choice of said land; next son David. If two unmarried daughters should marry they must be furnished with such necessaries as I have done by the married ones; each daughter 250 pounds. Grandson Simon Miller 100 pounds when he is 21 years old.
Exec: Sons John and David
Wit: Robert Douglas, Christian Kling

While Samuel is not mentioned in the will, he does appear in two deeds, dated 1816 and 1821, as a son of Michael

Besides sons David and John mentioned in the will, Michael had children Elizabeth who married (1) ___ Miller and (2) John Bair; Ann who married Jacob Senseny, Mary who married Jacob Kling and Margaret who married John Regan/Reagan.

Family records state that Samuel Bair was born 'near the Mount Joy schoolhouse' (Lancaster co, PA) An article in PA Mennonite Heritage gives the father of Michael as Jacob Bear who died 1769 in Lancaster. Abstract of his will:
w/w October 27, 1769, w/p December 7, 1769
BEAR, JACOB
Wife. Sarah Bear. Children: Michael, Abraham, Barbara wife of Michael Nicely and Mary wife of Joseph Herahberger.
Ex. Michael Bear and Michael Grebill. Earl Twp.
While this Jacob does have a son Michael, Earl twp is on the east side of Lancaster County and Mount Joy is on the far west. More work needs done here!

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 1:16PM GMT
Courtesy of Gerald Bair:

"Samuel Bair's Estate Settlement
Volume F Page 339 Franklin County, PA
Orphan's County date August Term 1850
Samuel Bair deceased. Order of Inquisition

To the Honorable the Judges of the Orphan's Court of Franklin County Pennsylvania. The petition of Margaret Coon late Margaret Bair widow of Samuel Bair late of the Township of Fannett in said County yeoman deceased, was read setting forth that your petitioners said husband lately died intestate leaving issue eight children to Wit: John S. Bair, Hannah now the wife of David Patterson (sic), living in Huntingdon County PA, Mary now the wife of Isaac Rine, Christina now the wife of John Stahl, Sarah now the wife of Richard Wilson, Lydia now the wife of David Gamble, Margaret now the wife of Matthew Wilson and Elizabeth now the wife of William McCartney and that the intestate died seized in his demesne as of fee of and in a certain messuage or tract of land lying and being situated in Fannett Township, Franklin County PA bounded by the lands of Crouses Sarvey and others, containing seventy acres more or less with the appurtenances. That John S. Bair above named eldest son of intestate now residing in Fulton County, State of Illinois alienated his share or interest in said tract of land to Daniel Skinner and also that Isaac Rine and Mary his wife now residing in Fulton County State of Illinois alienated their share or interest in the same to Stephen Skiner - your petitioner being desirous that her interest or third therein may be ascertained and secured to her therefore prays your honor to make partition of the premises aforesaid to and among the children of said Intestate and their interests in such manner and in such proportions as by the law of the Commonwealth is directed if such partition can be made without prejudice to or spoiling the whole. But if such partition cannot be made thereof as aforesaid then to value and appraise the same and make report of their proceedings herein according to law.

Whereupon the 12th day of August A.D. 1850, Inquest awarded according to the prayer of the petitioner. Publication of Notice in two Newspapers Repository and the Whip & Sentinel."
This Will is very valuable as it confirms Samuel's wife to have been Margaret. It informs us that Margaret had remarried to Coon. It identifies each of Samuel & Margaret's children and identifies their spouses and places of residence. In particular this document clearly confirms that Hannah Bair was the child of Samuel and Margaret Bair and that she, Hannah, married David Peterson.

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 1:37PM GMT
Hi, we have corresponded in the past.
I never stated that Samuel died c1849-that was a post from someone else. All I knew was that he died before 1850 based on the court document I forwarded earlier. Thanks for the clue re the 1830 Fannett Twp census. I just found "Margret Bare" and family in that census.
I had the Michael Bear Will record and, as you noted, Samuel is not mentioned which I found strange. Could you share with me the two deeds which do link Samuel to this Michael. Thanks,
John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions