Search for content in message boards

Robert Alexander Welch & Margaret C. Dickey, parents of William A. Welch (c. 1861-1952)

Robert Alexander Welch & Margaret C. Dickey, parents of William A. Welch (c. 1861-1952)

Posted: 24 Apr 2005 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2005 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Welch, Dickey
Looking for dates (and parents) for Robert Alexander Welch and his wife Margaret C. Dickey of Rockingham Co., VA. Their son William Alexander Welch was born between 1859 and 1861 and married Julia Ann Holsinger. Both William and Julia are buried in Fairview Church of the Brethren but I can't find anything about Robert and Margaret in the census or anywhere else. Any help much appreciated!

Nadia

Re: Robert Alexander Welch & Margaret C. Dickey, parents of William A. Welch (c. 1861-1952)

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Welch, Dickey, Holsinger
Nadia, if you're still on here, I am researching these individuals as well and will share what I have.

Re: Robert Alexander Welch & Margaret C. Dickey, parents of William A. Welch (c. 1861-1952)

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Welch, Holsinger, Cupp
Hi,there,

I assume you are a cousin. My Dad is Warren Eller Welch, Jr, nicknamed "June" by all the relatives around Harrisonburg and New Market.

I have a geneology done for my Aunt Margaret Welch Cromer that traces the family back to about the 1800 census, when they first appear in Virginia.

You probably have the same geneology: Robert Alexander Welch was borm about 1840 (this is from memory); inherited the family farm in the 1850s. Had several children, and also had a brother who migrated to Indiana.

During the Civil War, Robert Alexander Welch joined a local unit, the Rockingham Guards, around August of 1861. They became a company in, I believe, the 25th Virginia, a part of Steauart's Brigade in the Stonewall Division. I think he was reported once for AWOL, having gone home in the winter of 1863 or 1863. He, the entire brigade, and the entire division were encircled and captured at Spotsylvania Court House in 1864.

He was held at Elmira Prison camp until Appomattox, and disappeared after his release.

My grandfather, Warren Eller Welch, Sr, had several brothers. My great-uncles Lon and Ol (for Oliver) went west to Akron. My grand-father went down to Washington DC to work for the street-car company, Capital Traction. He became a building contractor in DC, having married my grand-mother, Margaret ("Maggie") Edna Cupp when his father, who was a roof-tinner, did some work on the Cupp family farm in Briery Branch, VA. The Cupps were among the three old Church of the Brethren families in Briery Branch. Cupps, Wines, and Millers married each other. Yes, a Cupp married a Wine, and there were always family jokes about that.

I believe that William A. Welch, my great-grandfather, married a Holsinger.

My notes on this are boxed up someplace, but I'm sure that no one ever traced Robert Alexander Welch; that Margaret Dickey Welch is mentioned has an obituary -- I have a xerox -- as having died sometime after 1910 and before 1920.

I've seen pictures of William A Welch, with a fine hat and handle-bar mustache.

In that stored box, I have a xerox of an article from a Harrisonburg paper about how great-grandfather William Welch
once rode a bicycle from New market to Harrisonburg, down the Valley Pike, while holding the handle-bars under his arm. No hands. Seems to have been the result of a bet, because it certainly seems a silly thing otherwise!

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 7:32PM GMT
Hi John. We are cousins and I'm so excited to see so much information on the Welch's from you! Your great-uncle, Oliver P. Welch, was my great-grandfather. He died when I was in high school, so I grew up visiting him regularly. His son, Boyd Welch, was my grandpa.

I would be so thankful for any info (and sources) that you may have. My grandparents had many old photos and documents burn in a house fire in the 70's, so I've been researching my tree from scratch, basically.

Thanks again,
Becky
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions