Search for content in message boards

Tournier history Pre 1799

Tournier history Pre 1799

Ronald Tournier (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: tournier joseph, Tournier Gaspard
Tournier de Bordigny(Switzerland) Pre 1790
Tournier of England (London and or Kent) about 1798/9 on.

Re: Tournier history Pre 1799

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 10:27PM GMT
I knew there were Tourniers in Switzerland, but I didn't know there were some in England. My family comes from France, but I wonder if they could be decescents of the England Tourniers??

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 5:42AM GMT
I am descended from Joseph Alexander Tournier and
Mary Ann King (son Joseph King Tournier who migrated to Australia in 1854). I believe The elder Joseph died in Eltham c 1888, Would appreciate contact and info. Joseph King Tournier married Jane Caroline Dickins in 1854 in Aust. He had 12 children so extended family here is quite large.

Sgd Beth Barr

Re: Tournier history Pre 1799 Joesph

Mike Tournier (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2004 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Tournier
Dear Beth

My Father is Lawrence Tournier who along with our mother Phillis Desma (nee Tattersall) emigrated from Australia (Melbourne) in 1946 to live here in New Zealand. The Tournier Family here is just ours, comprising of my sister Carol Andrews (nee Tournier) and the boys, Brian Lawance, Paul Albert and myself Michael Shane.

Our fathers, father was Albert Tournier and dad was an only child. Alberts father was William and that is about as far back was we can go. I understand that a distant relative named Bill lives in north Queensland, but other than that they only other back ground we have on the family is hearsay based around being a mining engineer of some kind during the time of the gold rush.

If you are able to fill in any gaps I would be grateful. Please email me if you can at Mike.Tournier@airways.co.nz

Re: Tournier history Pre 1799 Joesph

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 8:33AM GMT
Hi Mike,

As this is in response to a posting dated 2004, I hope that you are still interested.

My mother, Elvie Irene Tournier, often spoke of a Bonnie, Laurie (my spelling) and Tommy Tournier so often that I thought they were her brothers and a sister. So, when I began tracing the family tree, I was surprised to find that they did not appear to be in it. Not only that, but I could not find any records of their births, marriages or deaths. I then began to think that they must be cousins and/or possibly, born overseas.

However, I did find a number of references to Lawrie (the jockey)in the newspaper archives. Indeed, the last entry referred to him winning a few races in NZ. My mother told me he was a jockey and that Tommy (?)was a trainer. In her later years, my mother and her younger sister Eileen used to visit a Bonnie in Geelong and, when Eileen died, I found an address for an Albert (no surname): Te Kowhai, Road 8, Frankton, New Zealand.

Without going into detail, I can confirm that our family originally came from Switzerland, first migrated to England and later migrated to Australia from there. Bill, the relative in Queensland is most likely my mother's brother William (who did like the races).

We may be able to help each other to fill in some gaps.

Cheers,

Jack R

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 4:19AM GMT
Hi Beth,

I am also descended from Joseph King Tournier and Jane Caroline Dickens.

My mother often spoke of 'Laurie' Tournier, a jockey who later Moved to New Zealand. I had assumed he was a brother but, I now suspect he may have been a cousin. She also spoke of a 'Bonnie' and a 'Tommy' Tournier'; and in her later years, she often visited 'Bonnie' in Geelong.

I'd like to compare notes to see if we can make a connection between the various branches of our family tree.

Cheers,

Jack R

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 12:35AM GMT
HI
Jack,The Tournier family is very complex. With 12 children it gets very messy.

You probably know the all the children, Ann (my g.mother) was the middle child. She married Robert Woods and my father, Edward, was the youngest living. I haven't a clue about the NZers, but I do know that one was a jockey. Whether one was a Laurie, I don't know, However, there is a Lawrence Tournier buried in the BNC, died 1964 with his wife, Nellie May. Aged 70.

The Ronald Tournier on the list is descended from an uncle of our Joseph. He has some interesting stories about the older generations.

If you wish to contact me my Ph no. is 97756293.

Beth Barr.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic