Search for content in message boards

Annick Lodge, Location please?

Annick Lodge, Location please?

amie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2003 12:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Apr 2003 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: ?
Can someone tell me where Annick Lodge is? I have run Google searches, and come up with a white building. My ancestor was said to be "from Annick Lodge" and born in "Annick Lodge" but I don't know if it is the building, or a location. Any help appreciated!
amie

Re: Annick Lodge, Location please?

Posted: 14 Apr 2003 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2004 6:09PM GMT
Annick Lodge is near Dreghorn, Ayrshire. Try www.ayrshireroots.com, click on Ayrshire Towns, then Dreghorn, to find out more.
Jan

Posted: 6 Jul 2003 4:52PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2004 11:55PM GMT
It was a small mining village attached to Annick Lodge colliery. My father was born there in 1925. I can remember him taking me to the village when I was about ten but all that was left was the doorsteps of the houses and some rubble. If you can find Girdle Toll, Irvine on a map, it lay about 3 miles North East. I have a photograph of the village and a lot of its inhabitants, mainly children, round about 1900. My grandfather is in the picture. I can email you a copy of it if you wish. I think the village was abandoned when the colliery closed down.

Posted: 6 Jul 2003 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2004 11:55PM GMT
It was a small mining village attached to Annick Lodge colliery. My father was born there in 1925. I can remember him taking me to the village when I was about ten but all that was left was the doorsteps of the houses and some rubble. If you can find Girdle Toll, Irvine on a map, it lay about 3 miles North East. I have a photograph of the village and a lot of its inhabitants, mainly children, round about 1900. My grandfather is in the picture. I can email you a copy of it if you wish. I think the village was abandoned when the colliery closed down.

Andrew Gillespie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 10:07PM GMT
To add to the info supplied by amie. My father was borne at Annick Lodge in 1916, his best friend was an Andrew Kennedy. The village consisted of 2 rows of terraces miners houses and a single bungalow, "Millburn Side". The rows of houses were set at a right angle to the road in an L shape. My family lived in Millburn Side though my father was borne in one of the terraces. I was borne in 1951 and remember the row of houses that was ajacent to the road. They were demolished in the mid 1950s and no evidence remains. The second row had been demolished much earlier but some of the foundations remain to this day. My great grandfather built Milburn Side and my grandfather was the mining engineer at the pit, in charge of the steam engines and pumps. There were 2 pit heads that the village served. I am only sure with certainty the location of one. It was beside the T junction on the road towards Irvine, about 3/4 mile from the village. The pit was very profitable in its time (enough to build Annick Lodge House which was the home of the mine owner and still exists) producing high grade clay - for the brick and sanitary ware industry, coal and oil shale. The shale was heated at the pit head to produce oil. The ash from the process along with mining wast was brought by light railway (horse drawn) and dumped in a "Bing" behind the houses. The track of the railway and the remains of the bing can be seen today. Of interest my grandfather lost his leg as a boy riding on the railway waggons, it was amputated on the kitchen table at milburn side. This house is now all that remains of Annick Lodge although it has been significantly altered by the current owner. My family left Annick Lodge in the late 1960s but I have relatives, now well into their 70s who will be able to give a far more detailed account of the village. I would be grateful for any inormation you have, in particular copies of any photographs.

Andrew Gillespie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 10:16PM GMT
To add to the info. My father was born at Annick Lodge in 1916, his best friend was an Andrew Kennedy. The village consisted of 2 rows of terraces miners houses and a single bungalow, "Millburn Side". The rows of houses were set at a right angle to the road in an L shape. My family lived in Millburn Side though my father was born in one of the terraces. I was born in 1951 and remember the row of houses that was ajacent to the road. They were demolished in the mid 1950s and no evidence remains. The second row had been demolished much earlier but some of the foundations remain to this day. My great grandfather built Milburn Side and my grandfather was the mining engineer at the pit, in charge of the steam engines and pumps. There were 2 pit heads that the village served. I am only sure with certainty the location of one. It was beside the T junction on the road towards Irvine, about 3/4 mile from the village. The pit was very profitable in its time (enough to build Annick Lodge House which was the home of the mine owner and still exists) producing high grade clay - for the brick and sanitary ware industry, coal and oil shale. The shale was heated at the pit head to produce oil. The ash from the process along with mining wast was brought by light railway (horse drawn) and dumped in a "Bing" behind the houses. The track of the railway and the remains of the bing can be seen today. Of interest my grandfather lost his leg as a boy riding on the railway waggons, it was amputated on the kitchen table at Milburn Side. This house is now all that remains of Annick Lodge although it has been significantly altered by the current owner. My family left Annick Lodge in the late 1960s but I have relatives, now well into their 70s who will be able to give a far more detailed account of the village. I would be grateful for any inormation you have, in particular copies of any photographs. The Andrew Kennedy that was my father's friend was destinctive in that he had only one arm.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 9:11PM GMT
My ancestors lived at #81 and #82 Annick Colliery Lodge, Irvine, Ayshire, Scotland according to the 1851 census in Scotland. Is this the same place you are talking about. I would love to have the picture you mentioned of the place.

Posted: 14 Sep 2011 7:27AM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy Andrew
Hi Andrew I have not been active in my family history for some years so had not seen your posts, but now that I have retired I plan to spend more time on research. I would be delighted to supply you with photographs if you still want them. Also if you have a look on the National Archives of Scotland you will be able to find a map of Annick Lodge around about 1900.
PS how would I get the photographs to you (email?)
Chers
nairn kennedy

Posted: 14 Sep 2011 7:29AM GMT
Surnames: kennedy
Hi I have not been active in my family history for some years so had not seen your posts, but now that I have retired I plan to spend more time on research. I would be delighted to supply you with photographs if you still want them. Also if you have a look on the National Archives of Scotland you will be able to find a map of Annick Lodge around about 1900.
Cheers
nairn kennedy

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 8:17PM GMT
I realise your post was a while ago but I was there today. I also have relatives who where born and died in Annick Lodge. Spoke to a former owner today also and the current owner a month or so ago.

Would like to discuss
per page

Find a board about a specific topic