Search for content in message boards

LINSCOMB, BASIL dod or gravesite please

LINSCOMB, BASIL dod or gravesite please

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 4:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Linscomb, Linsicombe, Lincecum, Linscombe, Gilchrist
Looking for date of death - should be between 1820 & 1830. Basil Linscomb's land claim certificate was issued in 1812 and patented 1833 after his death (under "Lincom alias Linscomb"). This land is north of Rayne bordered by Lavergne, Grand Prairie, Coin, and Church Pointe Hwy and originally was 493 acres. Is there a small cemetery on any of this land? I've check Arceneaux but no listing there. That original land claim was patented to William Gilchrist (Charter, Grand Prairie, and the Bayou)and he is Basil's father in law. Basil's son John stayed in LA and spells surname differently, son Joseph went to Orange, Texas. Not in the Linscomb cemetery in Orange. Thank you.

Re: LINSCOMB, BASIL dod or gravesite please

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 4:28AM GMT
I found a family tree on Ancestry.com that stated his date of death as January 1, 1827 Opelousas, St Landry, Louisiana, but there was no source listed.

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 1:43AM GMT
I imagine you are aware that there is a probate for Mary Gilchrist, widow of Joseph Linscomb. Children: Joseph of Gasper county, Texas & Sophie & John. Succ. dated 5 Jan. 1842 (Opelousas Court House: Succession #1013). It might give the date of death.

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 11:22AM GMT
Thank you for sharing. I was looking for sources for Basil for his probate and final resting place in La and you've given me a good opening to explore for wife Mary G. Perhaps her probate has more info on burial location also.

Re: Mary Gilchrist Linscomb will followup

Posted: 15 Sep 2012 1:20PM GMT
I received Mary's will and although it did not tell me about her husband Joseph Basil's death or burial site, it gave me the info that daughter Sophia Linscomb was alive in 1844 during the probate. Sophia was referred to by maiden name "Linscomb" although sister Mary Polly was represented by her husband Jean Baptiste Peveto. We know Sophia had a daughter by Osime Peveto by then. Perhaps they were not married? Interesting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic