Search for content in message boards

Superior Children's Home

Superior Children's Home

Sharon Vashaw (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 1999 2:39PM GMT
I am looking for the papers for the Superior Children's Home, Superior, WI. It was a Catholic home that is no longer there. I have contacted the Archdiocese who told me to go to the County who told me to go to the Archdiocese. So Now I am lost. My father and his siblings spent some time there while their mother worked out her problems. If someone has an idea of who else I can contact.

Thank you

Sharon

superior childrens home/louis vashaw

REUBEN R MILLER JR (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 1999 10:07AM GMT
SHARON, I WAS BORN AND LIVED IN ASHLAND COUNTY WISCONSIN. UNFORTUNATELY A LOT OF THE RECORDS ABOUT A LOT OF US WHO LIVED IN THIS AREA WERE DESTROYED IN A FIRE IN SOME TIME IN THE 60S'. HOPEFULLY YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING. I CANNOT RECALL MY GRANDFATHER ERNEST J LARUE OR MY FATHER REUBEN R MILLER SR TALKING ABOUT A LOUIS VASHAW BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN THEY DID NOT KNOW HIM. THEY ARE BOTH DECEASED NOW. CAN YOU TELL ME IF LOUIS WAS IN THE SERVICE AND WHICH BRANCH. THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME IS BY WRITING ME AT REUBEN R MILLER, 526 W 14TH ST SUITE 222R, TRAVERSE CITY, MI. 49684. THE E-MAIL ADDRESS IS MY SISTERS MARGARET HEYDE OF AMARILLO TX. IF YOU SEND HER AN EMAIL SHE WILL CALL ME IN MICHIGAN TO LET ME KNOW OF THE CONTACT. THANK YOU, REUBEN

superior childrens home

Leonard Paquette (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 1999 5:41PM GMT
To Sharon Vashaw A listing of Catholic records can be found in Guide to Catholic Indian Mission and School records in Midwest Repositories, compiled by Philip C. Bantin with Mark G. Thiel,Marquette University, Milwaukee, 1984 This book is available on interlibrary loan. If you are unable to get the book, please to my message and i'll see what else i can do for you. It was thru records that i found some of my family.

James Curtin - Redcliff/Bayfield Area.

Shawn Mory_Pagel (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 1999 9:19PM GMT
My Great Grandfather, James Curtin, grew up in the Redcliff/Bayfield area. He is indian and lost his parents at an early age. I know that he had spent time in a childrens home. Where not sure. After my grandparents died 10 years ago, the family split. There is not much known about him or his family. Everyone has different stories. I would like to find the truth. I do remember some stories. I was wondering if you looked at the book, Guide to Catholic Indian Mission and if it was helpful. Can you direct me in any direction that would be helpful? Thank You.

James Curtin - Redcliff/Bayfield

Shawn Mory_Pagel (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 1999 9:26PM GMT
I am looking for any information on my Grandfather, James Curtin. He is now gone and I was young and can only remember bits and pieces of his life history. He had only one brother, Fred Curtin who died in the 70's. Their mother and father died when they were about 5 or 6 years old. I believe they had to go to the Indian schools. I don't know much about his mother or father's history. I believe that his mother's maiden name was Souyer? Not sure of the spelling. My grandfather married Helen Morey and lived in Shawano for most of their life. He worked at the lumber mill for many years in Neopit. If you have any suggestions on where to look, please let me know.

Curtin/Morey/DePerry/Souler/Wortman/Wurl/Ruwoldt/Cedoold

Shawn Mory-Pagel (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 1999 10:58AM GMT
I am looking for information on these names. if anyone can help, with the littlest information, let me know. My email address is Qrmorpags@cs.com
-Lawrence or James Curtin from Bayfield/Superior/Redcliff area
-Mary DePerry or Mary Souler from Redcliff/Superior/Redcliff
-Cedo from Oconto
-Morey from Seymour/Illinois/Wabeno

Re: Curtin/Morey/DePerry/Souler/Wortman/Wurl/Ruwoldt/Cedoold

Stephen DePerry (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Shawn,

I currently live in Pawcatuck, Conneticut, but I grew up in Westerly, Rhode Island. The only DePerrys I have ever heard of, have been from the Westerly-Pawcatuck area. I have done a name search on the internet before and found DePerrys in Wisconsin, however none of my relatives can figure out where they came from. I would deffinetly like to find out more about you. If anything, maybe for our family records.
My grandfathers name was also Stephen DePerry and my fathers name is Stephen DePerry Jr. My full name is Stephen F. DePerry. My grandmothers maiden name was Ida DeFanti. She is 81 and has alot of great stories. I look forward to hearing from you so maybe we can figure out the connection.
Steve

Re: Curtin/Morey/DePerry/Souler/Wortman/Wurl/Ruwoldt/Cedoold

Deborah (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
My boyfriend is a Ruwoldt. He grew up in South Australia and his family has lived there for over 100 years. I believe they originally came from Germany.

Re: Superior Children's Home

Posted: 17 Jun 2002 3:46AM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2006 1:34PM GMT
Here's hoping this message gets to you.. I see this post is about 3 years old.

The only Catholic orphanage in Superior wasn't actually an orphanage. It was St Joseph Childrens home located at (2100?) 15'th Ave E. As a a couple of years ago, the building was still standing, just a couple of blocks east of Mariner Mall on 28th St.

I lived there from June 1949 to July 1959. If you have questions concerning those years, perhaps I could help.

pahoo@tcinternet.net

Re: Superior Children's Home

Posted: 18 Jan 2003 8:45PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2003 12:31AM GMT

I would also like to find more out about this childrens home.
Have you recieved any new imformation or are you still getting the run around? I would like very much to know more about this childrens home. Please let me know if you have heard anything.

Thanks,
Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic