Search for content in message boards

Search

Search

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCLARTY, STEWART, ARCHIBALD, COYLES
Ballycastle, County Antrim, N.I. Wm. John McClarty, b. 1896; son of Wm. J. McClarty & Mary Agnes Coyles. Griselda Adelina Stewart, b. 1905; dau. of Anne Archibald & Alexander Stewart. Roots may lead to Scotland. Stuck here. Thanks!

Archibald and Stewart

George Archibald (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Archibald, Stewart
When I saw Archibalds and Stewarts on the same page, I had to wonder if we've any connection. My Archibald line was from Aghadowey, Coleraine. The Stewarts associated with my family were from the townland of Collins, Aghadowey. My great grandparents were Robert John Patterson Archibald and Sarah A Stewart. They emigrated in January 1907, and settled in Philadelphia, PA.

If any of this strikes a chord with anybody, PLEASE e-mail me!

Thanks!

- George Archibald

Exaktaman@aol.com

McClarty

Robert E. Smith (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Ann McClarity b.1793 we think in Cushendall,County Antrium,m.Archibald Hamilton at Lyde Church in Cushendall Dec 12 1835. Emmigrated to Ontario Canada in 1846. Do you think there is a connection?

McClarty of Layde

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ARCHIBALD, BLACK, BROWN, COYLES, JOHNSTON, KELLY, LAVERTY, McAULEY, McCLARTY, STEWART
Bob,

I do believe our families are different branches of the same tree--perhaps connected in SCT or early NIRL--but have been unable to document it. My direct line, FRANCIS McCLARTY, b. circa 1815-20(?), Ramoan Parish, had at least 3 siblings: JANE McCLARTY m. JOHN BROWN, dau. JANE McCLARTY, b. 14 Aug 1839; & ARCHY McCLARTY m. PEGGY SCALLY, son ARCHY McCLARTY, b. 4 Oct 1841; JOHN McCLARTY m. ROSE O'DONNELL: ROSETTA, b. 24 April 1853; HARRIETT, b. 26 Aug 1855; & ELIZABETH, b. 4 Oct 1857. Family originates from Scotland, but when? My earliest record shows family established in Co. Antrim in 1791 (WILLIAM, father or grandfather of FRANCIS McCLARTY).

While in Ireland in June, I obtained the following from headstones at the Church of Ireland, Parish Church of Layde, Cushendall: (1) "MARY McCLARTY, who entered into rest on the 6th of June 1902, aged 90 years; also of her husband JOHN McCLARTY who entered into rest on 17 Nov 190?, aged 94 years, and their two sons, JOHN & FREDRICK McCLARTY, both lost at sea...This stone erected by their daughter JANE HUMPHREYS of Layde, June 1919; also her husband, DUNCAN HUMPREYS, who died 30 Nov 1919, aged 60 years." (2) "GEORGE McCLARTY, in memory of his sister, MARGARET, who died 9 Jan 1894, aged 73 years; also the above named who died 22 Dec 1902, aged 80 years." (3) "JAMES McLARTY, in memory of his mother MARY McLARTY, who died 14 Feb 1883, aged 70 years, also above JAMES McLARTY, who died 23 March 1932, aged 83 years; his wife MARY ANN McLARTY, died 12 Dec 1939, aged 82 years." (4) "AGNES McCLARTY of Layde, d. 9 Nov 1973, aged 78 years." (5) "MALCOLM McCLARTY of Layde who entered into rest 26 May 1916, aged 70 years; also of his eldest son, JAMES MALCOLM McCLARTY of Wynbert, S. Africa, who entered into rest 10 Oct 1916, aged 36 years; also of his 3rd son, THOMAS McCLARTY...31 Aug 1928; & his wife JANE McCLARTY...30 Nov 1934, aged 80 years." [All spellings accurately presented as carved on headstones. Have photos of all if interested.] My direct line did not leave Ireland until the 1940's. Do you have earlier Scottish/Irish info? Hamilton is also a very common name throughout NE Antrim County. Also have STEWART/JOHNSTON family who left NIRL for Ontario, ca. 1940-50's.

Hope some of this is of some use. Sorry for slow response, but please stay in touch. We'll see if we can help one another.

LAVERTY/BROWN

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
I'm sorry, Dawn, neither name is familiar. My (Ann) Laverty is connected to (Alex) Stewart and my (John) Brown is linked to (Jane) McClarty, all of Northern Ireland. Good luck with your search!

ANTRIM? LAVERTY, BROWN

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2005 1:27AM GMT
Surnames: LAVERTY, BROWN
Tom
I am interested in the names you mentioned: LAVERTY and BROWN. Do you have any information on George LAVERTY born 1782 and wife Elizabeth Brown who emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada c.1816 with son William?

Kelly Family

Janis Patrick (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kelly, Fox
Just curious about your Kelly line. I'm researching my Kelly family from the Belfast / Whiteabbey area. My grandfather, Joseph, was born October 30, 1903 in Belfast to Edward KELLY (Whiteabbey) and Isabella FOX. Other siblings include brother Edward (deceased WWI), Mary Jane, Isabella, Annie and Kathleen. My grandfather immigrated to Canada in April 1928.

Re: Kelly Family

Gavin Kelly (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 12:57AM GMT
Here - Im a Kelly from Whiteabbey and I'll tell ya something for nothing, your better of where yas are! The people are fickin mad round here - they'll blow your heads off if your not sprinting like. Think yourselves lucky youse got out!

Tiocfiadh Ar lá

Re: McClarty

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 4:43PM GMT
Am looking in many places to search for info re my GGGGGdandfather Archibald Hamilton who married an Elizabeth Buchanan. His parents were Robert Hamilton and Maria Elliott. They came to Canada arounb 1835 and settled in Lanark County Ontario,Canada, travelling to Amaranth Township ,Dufferin County where they settled as farmners and raised their family. My Grandfather is their Ggrandson Thomas Jackson Hamilton - my mother's father. The family originated in Ireland in Armagh or Antrim County. Dates I really do not have, Appreciate any data anyone can share. THANKS. Jackson Strapp, Sault Ste.Marie Canada.

Re: McClarty

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 4:44PM GMT
Am looking in many places to search for info re my GGGGGdandfather Archibald Hamilton who married an Elizabeth Buchanan. His parents were Robert Hamilton and Maria Elliott. They came to Canada arounb 1835 and settled in Lanark County Ontario,Canada, travelling to Amaranth Township ,Dufferin County where they settled as farmners and raised their family. My Grandfather is their Ggrandson Thomas Jackson Hamilton - my mother's father. The family originated in Ireland in Armagh or Antrim County. Dates I really do not have, Appreciate any data anyone can share. THANKS. Jackson Strapp, Sault Ste.Marie Canada.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic