Search for content in message boards

McGehee's in Milton,Caswell Co. NC

McGehee's in Milton,Caswell Co. NC

Posted: 2 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2002 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: McGehee

I am looking for any McGehee in the town of Milton where they had huge land holdings. Specifically John McGehee. May be misspelled McGhee or McGee or just Gee and several more variations. In area of Milton very early before 1800 and possibly Halifax VA.. Thanks Pat
Posted: 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2002 2:03PM GMT
Do you know what John's middle name is. I have some info on a John Herdon McGee. you can email me at ebaise@triad.rr.com

Re: McGehee's in Milton,Caswell Co. NC

Rae Venable Calvert (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2002 3:55AM GMT
Surnames: McGEHEE, WALL, PAYNE, SCOTT
Have a copy of the book, McGEHEE DESCENDANTS (Vols.I and III) by Ethel Grider. Includes a John Moore McGehee b. ca.1769 VA; d. bef.1836 AL; mar. bef.16 Feb.1797 NC Nancy Chambers.
His brother, Joseph, (1777-1831) b. Caswell Co. d. 8 Oct 1831 Gates Co. NC. (my ancestor)
Will look up additional info if you're interested.

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 1:35PM GMT
I have all 3 of the books also.Unfortunately a lot of the info in them is wrong as most of it was donated by others and as you know if undocumented or researched again to verify is very speculative. I have found many errors. I have never followed up on Joseph tho. Did he have any sons who went to TN? Or any grandsons named Milton McGehee?Thanks Pat

Neal Ganzert,Jr (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2002 1:22AM GMT
What parents did Nancy Chambers have? I'm related to the
Chambers through the Harralson family.
Also, Why did Joseph Mcgehee move to Gates Cty.? Seems
another Milton resident moved down there too?
Thomas McGehee kept the plantation Waverly?

Posted: 12 Apr 2002 4:45PM GMT
Hello Neal,Any info on these McGehee's in Milton, Person Co, NC or Caswell Co I am very interrested in knowing about. Esp the John Moore who was brother to Joseph.John Moore McGehee born 1769 in VA.Need his wife and children and when and where he died.Please help.I am desperate. Pat

Posted: 17 Jan 2003 5:54PM GMT
I am told that my GGGrandfather had land holdings in Caswell County.Could you please check and see if there is a James Matthew McGhee in your book?His fathers name was Robert ? McGhee.Thanks,Maggie

Rae Venable Calvert (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2003 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: McGEHEE, PAYNE, WALL, SCOTT
Maggie: If I had some dates for your James McGehee, that would be helpful. There is a James Matthew McGehee listed on page 177 of Vol.III: b.2/6 Feb.1861; d.26 July 1945; a cattleman in TX
His father is shown as James Myles McGehee b.18 Nov 1826 Quitman Co, GA; d. 26 Aug.1882 TX; buried in Dallas, TX; 34d Lt. Co.E. 3rd Rgt GA Cavalry CSA; moved to TX in 1880. Married Sarah Jane Lowe.
Hope this helps.

Robert Moore (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2003 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: McGehee, Moore, Shoemaker, Stewart, Murphey, Rice, Allen
All I have regarding John Moore, the brother of Joseph, is from the Caswell County, NC Will Books 1777-1814, 1784 Tax List, Guardian Accounts (By Katharine Kerr Kendall):

"John Moore, will 20 Sept 1776, son Joseph, heir at law, Nancy & Sarah Moore, daughters of Joseph; son John; grandson John, son of John; grandson (not christened but called) Patrick Henry Moore, son of John; daughter Sarah
McGehee; grandson John Moore McGehee; daughter Elizabeth Shoemaker and her children; daughter Frances Stewart; grandson John Moore Stewart. Land on Cain Creek to be sold. Son Joseph Moore, heir at law and second son John Moore, son in law, Montford McGehee and Archibald Murphey to execute will. Wit: Abm. Rice, Anne Rice, Mary Allen."

John Moore's son John passed away about 1784 leaving some children under the age of 18 which included my great great great grandfather William Cocke Moore who moved to Tennessee, Alabama, and lastly to Tishomingo, Co., MS.

The elder John Moore may have been the son of a Joseph Moore perhaps of Lunenburg Co., VA. I could not confirm this information as of date.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 10:36PM GMT
Thank you for your input. Your findings are the same as those we affirmed on a visit to Caswell County, NC and to the Lauderdale, Mississippi/ Giles County, TN/ court houses. We live in Tupelo and continue to want to know more about William Cocke Moore. In 1850, we found him separated from his wife Judith Hurt Moore. Their son was William Hurt Moore who lived in Itawamba County. My husband is a geat, great, grandson of William Hurt Moore. We found that William C. Moore was living with his daughter Ann Moore Smith in Tishimingo County in 1850. The court records suggest a family difficulty regarding slaves that Judith's brother had willed her from over in Georgia. Apparently William Hurt worked with his mother to lay claim to the slaves for her own property. These records are in Itawamba County Court House and in Millidgeville, Georgia.
We found Judith Hurt Moore's family living in Giles County Tennessee where they were buried in Propect, TN cemetery.

We would like to visit with you and think together about these ancestors. Thanks, Azalia Moore
per page

Find a board about a specific topic