Search for content in message boards

Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County, VA

Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County, VA

Mary Ann Porter (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2004 6:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Boyer, McClintock,Wilhite, Harris
I am looking for information about Thomas Wright b. 1760-1770 in Pittsylvania County, VA. I am not sure if his wife's name was Sarah Pullen or Susanna but they had 7 children in Virginia and 1 more in Mercer County, KY. The names of the children were Nancy b. abt. 1789, Mary b. abt. 1793, Robert b. 1797, Susan b. 1802, George W. b. 1805 (my gggggrandfather) Ellen b. bet 1801-1810, Charles b. July 12, 1812 and John b. 1816 in Mercer County. I believe the father of Thomas was a Thomas also; and he had 2 more sons who were Robert and George. Any help will be greatly appreciated in breaking through this wall. Thanks.

Re: Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County, VA

Mary Eanes Wright (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Hi there,
I am not sure but I was once told by family members that my husband's Wright ancestors once lived in the PIttsylvania and Henry county areas of Va before branching out to Tennessee and Kentucky. My husband's Uncle Billy Dee Wright once gave me some of his older research that listed their ancestor Thomas Wright in Pittsylvania Co Va. It lists Thomas Wright born 1760 in Pa, spouse of Nellie Collier, died 1845 Pittsylvania Co, Va. It lists their son James Wright born 1787 in Rockingham Co, NC which borders Va. Thomas and Nellie were supposed to have had a total of 14 children. Polly, Phineas,James,Barzillai,Annie,Rebecca,Alexander,William, Fredric,Thomas,Christopher,Elsie,Chaisty(Charity), and Susan.
My husband's line is through James Wright,Sr ( son of Thomas and Nellie) who supposedly served during the War of 1812 and died in Norfiolk Va on 3 Jan 1815. Supposedly this comes from the pension records of his widow Martha (Patsy) Cox Wright, and some from the US Census records. Uncle Billy did his original work in 1977 but I don't see much in the terms of documentation or citations on the papers he gave me. He mentions that James and Martha may have been married in Rockingham Co,NC also but he lists them as living in nearby Henry Co,Va and having three children, Barzillai-1811,Elizabeth-1813, and James,Jr 1815 (most likely after his father's death)there in Henry County. James,Sr's records were found in the National Archives according to Uncle Billy's papers. I have not seen anything more up to date than 1978, it lists their names sometimes being spelled Write and Right. Henry County Court Records spelled it Right when giving Patsy(Martha) the estate of James in May 1815.
When it comes to Thomas Wright Jr (son of Thomas & Nellie) Uncle Billy lists him as being born 1796 but again I have no proof or citation on that at this point. I don't know if we are from the one and same family but I know that James,Jr and his family moved to Tenn because my husband's family is from that line and my father-in-law was born in Kentucky, eventually moving to Southern Maryland as a child with his parents during WWII. Ironically my husband's mother's side may have some very far back connections to Pittsylvania County also. His Aunt Sharon Dennison is searching his grandmother's Brooks line back from Va to NC and it appears there may have been an ancestor that moved from Pittsylvania County to NC.

Robert N. Grant (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Mary,

There is a mixture of correct and incorrect information in your uncle's material.

The Thomas Wright who died in 1845 at Pittsylvania County was the son of 1814 (year of death) John Wright of Bedford County, Virginia, (place of death) and Mary (Pace) Wright. I would be happy to provide you with the documentation for that identification. The wife of 1845 Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County was Sarah Elizabeth (Pullen) Wright and they did not have a son James Wright. They did have children Christopher, John P., Thomas P., Joseph, Mary, Nancy, William B., and Lewis A. This is a different family from the one you are tracing and your uncle appears to have confused part of this family with your own.

There is a War of 1812 Pension Record for James Wright who died on Jan 3 or Feb 1, 1815, at Norfolk, Virginia. The file is BLWt 21039-80-55 and WC 11898. The records state that he married Martha Cox in 1804 at Rockingham County, North Carolina, and resided on August 12, 1814, at Henry County, Virginia. Martha (Cox) Wright was listed as born in about 1793 or between 1788 and 1793, and resided before 1840 at Virginia, and resided 1840 to 1868 at Van Buren County, Tennessee. They had the following children:
1. Barzilla Wright,
2. Elizabeth Wright, and
3. James Wright.

This is clearly the line your are tracing and where your uncle obtained much of his information.

There were a number of Thomas Wrights in Pittsylvania County in the late 1700's. The one with land closest to Henry County, Virginia, and Rockingham County, North Carolina, was 1813 Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County. His origins and the name of his wife have not have yet been identified. His will dated July 18, 1804, and probated on Nov 18, 1818, at W.B. 11/449 listed the following children:
1. Thomas Wright,
2. John Wright,
3. Elizabeth (Wright) Earp,
4. Daniel M. Wright,
5. Sally (Wright) Watts,
6. James Wright, and
7. Nancy Wright.

The son Thomas Wright was born before May 27, 1781, resided in Pittsylvania County until 1811, and then moved elsewhere.

The son John Wright was born probably before 1779 and resided in Pittsylvania County until 1816, and then moved elsewhere.

The daughter Elizabeth (Wright) Earp moved to Wilkes County, North Carolina.

The son Daniel M. Wright was born probably before 1787 and resided in Pittsylvania County until 1821, and then moved elsewhere.

The daughter Sally (Wright) Watts moved to Wilkes County, North Carolina.

The son James Wright was born in about 1781 to 1786, married Patsey Watts in 1809, served in the War of 1812 and was discharged in 1814 at Norfolk, resided in Pittsylvania County until 1820, resided in 1851 and 1855 at Clinton County, Kentucky, and in 1871 to 1878 at Cumberland County, Kentucky. His War of 1812 Pension File is BLWt 62277-120-55 and WC 22545.

The daughter Nancy (Wright) Matney moved to Wilkes County, North Carolina.

The James Wright of this family is clearly not the same as the James Wright you are tracing, although it is interesting that he also went through Norfolk in his service in the War of 1812. It is possible that there is another branch of this family across the state line in Rockingham County and that would be from where your line came.

Sorry I could not give you a definitive answer on your questions, but I hope you will find the above of some help in sorting out your line.

Best wishes,

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Mary Ann Porter (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Boyer, McClintock, Harris, Wilhite,Ryan,Winter,Kolb
I'm not sure but it sounds like we might have some connections somewhere in there. I don't have documents either but I have been given much help from Robert Grant and what he tells me matches family stories and some Census Reports have helped me to confirm more. The earliest ancestor I have is a Thomas Wright from Virginia but we have no dates or city for his birth. His sons were Thomas b. bet. 1760-1770 in Pittsylvania County, VA, Robert b. bef. Sept.1, 1780 and George b. bet. 1783 and died bef. June 21, 1784. My line is from the son Thomas and we think his wife was Susanna (taken from a land report) and they had 8 children of whom the first seven were born in Pittsylvania County with the 8th born in Mercer County, KY. The children were Nancy b. abt 1789, Mary b. abt. 1793, Robert b. 1797, Susan b. 1802, George W. b. 1805 (my gggrandfather), Ellen b. bet 1801-1810, Charles, b. July 12, 1812 and John b. 1816 in Mercer County. As you can see there is no James in his children but there is a James in George W.'s family. George married Sarah Ann Hayden in April 1823 and they had 10 children in Mercer County. The first child was Thomas b. 1825, George A. b. Oct. 9, 1826, Lemuel Jackson b. Oct. 25, 1828 (my ggrandfather), Melinda b. March. 25, 1831, Nancy b. Jan. 21, 1833, James b. Feb. 3, 1835, Mary b. Feb. 7, 1837, Elizabeth b. Nov. 29, 1839, Samantha b. April 20, 1844 and Sarah b. April 2, 1846. George and his family moved to Kickapoo, Leavenworth County, KS where he died Feb. 22, 1879. I really don't have much about the Virginia years and Robert Grant says there were as many as 5 Thomas Wright's in Pittsylvania County at the same time. Still I'm hoping there's a connection because I just haven't had much luck with any of either Thomas' children beyond George's. Good luck and let me know if this helps. I have some names of spouses for some of the children if that will help and I'll be glad to share anything I have.
Mary Ann (Wright) Porter

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Robert,
Thank you so much for your help. I think once before I was trying to find confirmation on some of what I had been told and you questioned my data. It scared me off in my search at first but I am glad that you did as it help me to challenge what I was reading.I had suspected there would be errors as I saw very little in the terms of citation or documentation in his papers. Of course his search was also back in 1977 and I am not sure where or how he compiled his data and he oftens mentions there is nothing more than conjecture on some of his writings. I was hoping to find either proof or correction on his data. I wondered if he had confused any families as with a name like Wright it would make sense as it could be possible without in-depth research,documentation and citation. I rarely have contact with this uncle, but I know he does reside in Bedford Co,Va. He has given us a small family history from his parents down to our children that includes pictures and family stories. My husband does have a letter written to him as a child by his great-grandmother Martha Cunningham Joseph Wright wife of William Breedlove Wright when she was very elderly and living in Kentucky just a short time before her death in 1978. William Breedlove Wright is suposed to have been born 10 Sept 1881 and died 13 June 1966, he is supposed to have been the son of George Harvey Wright (1853 to 8 April 1903) and Jeanette ( or America Jeanette) Trogden and lived in Warren Co Tenn, later moving to Dekalb Co Tenn and Wise Co, Va with his parents. George Harvey Wright reportedly died in Kentucky in early 1900's. My father-in-law was born in Ky. According to this uncle, George Harvey Wright was born 12 Dec 1853 McMinnville, Tenn to James Wright Jr (born 1815 Henry Co,Va) and an Ellender (Nellie) Hutson (born 16 Jan1815 in Tenn to Matthias Hutson and Sarah Knowles). Supposedly Nellie Hutson Wright is buried in Mt Pisgah Meth. Cemetery in White Co, Tenn. James Jr and Nellie are supposed to have been married 16 Feb 1836. George Harvey and America Jeanette Trogden Wright supposedly married 30 Oct 1873. Jeanette Trogden Wright is supposed to have died in childbirth in 1889 and is supposedly buried in the Gus Robinson Cemetery in Pound, Va. George remarried in 1894 to Alice Elizabeth Forthing and had two more children. Martha Patsy Cox Wright is reported to have died 9 Sept 1872 in Tenn and is supposed to have been buried at Mt Pisgah Meth Cemetery in Walling Tenn. Martha Cox Wright is supposed to have also raised a relative's son ( a brother-in-law from family stories) named Seth Wright as her own. Seth is reported to have been born 20 Feb 1822 and died in 1901. Martha's land warrants after she was widowed were the ones in Michigan and Missouri. She sold the Michigan one and gave the one in Missouri to her son Barzillai. Elizabeth (Bettie) Wright (1813-1880), Martha and James,Sr's daughter, is reported to have married a William Cruise. Barzillia(Barzillai) Wright (1811-March 1904) who moved to Missouri married a Christian C. Swindell in 1832.
I am very thankful that you have been able to redirect my search for confirmed connections, as I am interested in finding things out for myself before I become convinced of anything. I would be glad to hear if anyone ever finds out more about our James and Martha's line and exactly who James' father and mother were. It is interesting that there were so many with the same Thomas Wright in that little area all that way back. Well, at least my maiden name ( Eanes) is easier to trace in that area, with an odd name like that its quite a bit easier. Thank you again :o) Mary

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 1:16AM GMT
Mary Ann,
Unfortunately, Robert has found an error in my uncle's research , it appears Uncle Billy confused the Thomas Wright families in the area in his searches. But I still am hopeful there might be a distant connection out there somewhere. I sure hope you find what you are looking for out there. I know how vital these message boards can be becasue one in NJ helped me connect with someone else who helped me locate the death date of my mother's grandfather who died in 1919( well before his children even grew up) and whose grave has been lost. We never knew much about him except for his name. I have faith that one day you will find that needle in the haystack like I did. Good Luck,
Mary

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: anita delinda wright deaver
i have a little info on a thomas m wright married nancy williamson daughter of isaac williamson and sarah woodle if you need this let me know i will send to you email me at tigerlillysabra@yahoo.com .my family was of the george wright and sabra pate family daughter of throughgood pate niece of col throughgood pate which he is buried beside my grandfather george wright both died within several months of each other 1836 hopes this helps

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Boyer, Harris, Wilhite, McClintock, Hayden,LaCaille
I'm sorry but I don't think our Thomas Wright's are the same ones. Mine was born abt. 1760-1770 in Virginia and died abt. 1840 in Mercer Co, KY. He was married to a Susanna who died about 1817 just before he moved to Mercer Co. His son George was my fifth gggrandfather and was born in Virginia abt. 1805. He was married to Sarah Ann Hayden and they left Kentucky with their 8 children for Kickapoo, Leavenworth Co,Kansas. They both died in Kansas.
Thanks for your response-I was really hoping you might have more. Good luck.
Mary Ann

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hubbard Earp Wright
Thank you for your thorough discussion of Thomas Wrights, since I was able to spot a connection with the 1813 Thomas.

I am investigating Hannah (Earp) Hubbard b. 1797 Wilkes Co NC, daughter of Abednego Earp Sr. b. 1763 in Fairfax Co VA d. 17 Dec 1844 in Wilkes Co NC. Abednego married twice, the second being 22 May 1793 in Pittsylvania Co VA to Elizabeth Wright d. 1826.

The only notes I can find are that 1813 Thomas Wright may have married another Hannah.

Does any of this track with your collection? Can you fill in any of the black spots?

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT, EARP
Dear Texasaggieaunt:

I have collected some records regarding 1813 (year of death) Thomas Wright of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, (place of death), his wife Hannah (_____) Wright, and his daughter Elizabeth (Wright) Earp, the wife of Abednego Earp. Some of this information is from Wilkes County Hieritage Book, which you probably already have.

If you will email me directly, I will be happy to send you a pdf of what I have collected to date.

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions