Search for content in message boards

Banks County, Georgia

Banks County, Georgia

Barney R. Banks (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2003 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Banks, Short, Reese, Bailey (S.E. Ky aft. 1830 & Buncombe/Wilkes Co, NC after 1750s)
Have Book on History of Banks County GA 1858-1976 by Jessie Mize. There are only a few Banks family names:
Dunston E, Ellis V, G.S., Joseph Henry, Martha Butt Banks, Ralph, Doctor Richard, Thomas M.
I would be happy to look up info if any of these are your line.
Barney Banks

Re: Banks County, Georgia

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 2:17AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Alston, Robinson, Shipley, Prince, Jordan (Jerdan), McWhorter
Dear Barney Banks, are you related to the Banks of Elbert Co., Ga.? I am and we have several Ralph (pron. Rafe) Banks in that side of the family. Also many many Thomas Banks. I live in Franklin, N.C. and come through Banks Co. quite often when going down 441 S. I often have wondered if the County wasn't named for part of our family. There are many Banks' living in Ga. My father's name was Thomas as is my brother's, an Uncle's also, and a cousin's. There have also been several Samuel (Sam) Banks'. I know that the family came from Granville Co. North Carolina; most probably out of Va. Thank you for any info.
Abigail Banks Dennison

Re: Banks, Thomas 1860-1890 period in Banks County, Georgia

Barney Banks (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2003 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: b
Abigail, I am not related to that line. I had purchased the book hoping to find a connection to my line out of Buncombe/Yancey Co, NC. No luck
The book includes "Marriage License Book (1879-1889), Page 27 Thomas M. Banks & Georgia D. Acre, on 28 Sept 1884, by Thos. S. Wells.
Other Bankses listed are:
Dunston E,
Ellis V,
G.S.,
Joseph,
Martha Butt Banks,
Ralph,
Doctor Richard,
Thomas M.
Alfred F.
If anyone has connections or interest email me back and I'll supply info on same.

Barney (brbanks@datasync.com)

Posted: 2 Mar 2003 1:14AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Robinson, McWhorter, Prince, Shipley, Jordan (Jerdan), Alston
Dear Barney, thanks so much for answering my email. Surely somewhere way way back we may possibly be related as my Banks family originated in Granville Co. N.C. coming from Edenton NC and it seems awfully coincidental that Elbert Co., Ga. is so very close to Banks Co. with another Banks family. There is to be a Banks family reunion in Elbert Co. sometime around April or May; I'll have to look it up.

Do you know if the Ralph in your family is pronounced like Rafe or is it the usual pronounciation for Ralph? It's pron. like Rafe in mine. Once again thank you so much for answering. Isn't this fun trying to locate long lost records of ancestors? Lots of hours on computer. I get side-tracked and then realize I've been on for three or four hrs.
Abigail B.

H. Banks Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2003 12:37AM GMT
Abigail - The reunion will be Friday and Saturday 27 & 28 June in Elberton.

Check http://www.BanksFamilyAssociation.ORG

Hope to see you there.

Banks Edwards (cousin)

Felicia Banks-Grimsley (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2004 2:01AM GMT
I'm wondering if some of your family might have came from Crisp,Dooly county or Hawkinsville,Pulaski county Georgia. By the way I am researching Afro-Americans.

Posted: 14 Jul 2004 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2004 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Alston, McWhorter, Robinson, Chandler, Arnold, Hughes
Dear Barney,
Was just looking back and came across our correspondance last year. Almost all the people mentioned here are part of my Banks line. Also I found out that Banks Co. was named for Dr. Richard Banks who is from my line. I believe he was Ralph (Rafe) and Rachel Jones Banks' son. Would love to have copy of these marriage lines if you hve time. Just email me at abanks@dnet.net.
Abigail

Posted: 14 Jul 2004 1:47PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2004 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Alston, Arnold, Hughes, McWhorter, Robinson, Shipley
Dear Felicia,
Thanks for your note. The counties you mentioned don't sound familiar but that doesn't mean they don't apply. Most of my Banks were in Elbert, Coweeta, Carroll, and Campbell counties, Ga. and then some went on to Alabama. They came into Va. in late 1600s and went from there to Granville County NC and then into Ga.
Thanks for letting me know you are researching Afro-Americans; I am researching Banks of English origins.
Abigail Banks Dennison

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Jordan, Jones
I realize your post is old but the surnames you list included Jordan (Jerdan). My mothers family started off in Banks County and ended in Dooly County. Their name was pronounced both ways. How do you fit into this family?

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: JORDAN, PRINCE
Dear David,
I don't think I ever received your query. Sorry. I changed my email address in 2007 so that may be the reason. My JORDANs (pron. Jourdan/Jerdan) came out of Va. to Jasper/Oglethorpe Co. Ga. There was Samuel, Matthew, Rueben (my gggg-grandfather), Mortimer Harvie JORDAN, my ggg-grandf., his daughter, Martha Gaines JORDAN, who married Francis Marion PRINCE. They were my gg-grands. Mortimer Harvie lived in Hale, Ala., and Martha and Dr. PRINCE lived in Tuscaloosa, Bessemer, and Jefferson, Ala.

I hope you receive this and apologize for the delay.
Abigail Banks Dennison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions