Search for content in message boards

LINDQUIST

LINDQUIST

Norma & Patrick (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
My paternal grandmother's maiden name was LINDQUIST.  She was born in St. Croix, Virgin Islands.  The family claims that the Danish king granted land to the family who immigrated to the island.  The exact year is unknown.  My great-grandfather's name is also unknown.  If you can help in helping me find this part of my family's history, I would appreciate it.

Variation of surname spelling.

Louise Daniel Hutchinson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: LINDQVIST
Norma & Patrick: Try the LDS(Mormon) Family History Center in your community. Check the Soundex for variations of spellings of your family surname. On St. Thomas the surname LINDQVIST is well known.

When Denmark wished to settle her Caribbean dominion, to ecourage settlers the awarding of land grants with tax incentives was rather commonplace. While Denmark was then also ruling Norway, she did not have sufficient population willing to settle her new Islands. The Dutch became Denmark's surrogate colonizers. Denmark's principal reason for purchasing and colonizing the Islands was to allow her to compete with other European nations in the slave trade. Because of its topography, the largest number of plantations and slaves were on the island of St. Croix.

Beginning ca. 1841, early Danish censuses for the Islands may be found on microfilm at an LDS Family History Center. You will want to investigate available census records for both "Free" and "Unfree" inhabitants. Too, you may find a branch of the federal National Archives and Records Service (NARS) in or nearby your community. That is how I found my paternal ancestors. Hope this information is helpful.

Louise Daniel Hutchinson

Lindquist Grandmother

Louise Daniel Hutchinson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: LINDQUIST
Norma & Patrick: Today I checked the Family Tree Maker's (Version 3.02)"Family Finder Index" on compact disk (CD), and there I found many persons with the surname "LINDQUIST"; also, "LINDQVIST". Those files do not give the specific place of birth or death. But with the given (first) name will give the name of a record to consult; i.e. "Marriage", "Mortality", "Social Security" , "Census", etc. In order to find your paternal grandmother in any records, then it is essential that her given name is known. Some family groups are so large that it is virtually impossible to find your family member with out a complete name, and if a woman many records are kept in the husband's name. Your best hope might be to speak with other family members and record their recollections. Something just might turn up.

Good luck, Louise Daniel Hutchinson

Your response

Norma Williams (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lindquist
Thank you very much for your information! It gives me something to go on. I know my paternal grandmother's name, Daisy Lindquist. It's her family tree that I am trying to find. Much of what I've been told was when I was a little girl visiting St. Croix back in 1973. All I know was that the family was once given much of St. Croix and then squandered it away over the years. Exactly when the original members landed in St. Croix is a mystery to me. Unfortunately, I have no contact with my paternal side of the family, so much of my queries is on my own.

Thanks again!

Response

Norma Williams (View posts)
Thanks for your message. Sorry, I don't know any Griles. Good luck in your search.

i know of a lindquists

Aimee Griles (View posts)
Surnames: griles, lindquist
i know a lindquist actually two of them: i went to high school with them and graduated with the other this past june. There names are akkido and amber lindquist. they told me that there were of danish ancestry. i have lost contact with them, but will try to find out more for you.

by the way do u know of any GRILES?

Lindquist

Tony Quinton (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
The best way that I found in tracking relatives in the Virgn Islands was to check church records. All births and baptisms and marriages were recorded in the churches going back to the arly to mid 1800's. The Early scribes in St.Croix and other island recorded the names as they though it sounded so it highly likely the the name spelling has been changed several times. the national archive has the 1919 census of all who lived in St.Croix at that time.

I am a Member of the Linquist Family

Karen Knox (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hi Norma and Patrick, my name is Karen and my Great Grandmother was Leila Lindquist-Christiansen. There is a large part of the family located in Catherine's Rest and
Peter's Rest in St. Croix. The name Daisy Lindquist sounds
familiar. I will ask my grandmother if she knows who she is.
The people Akkido and Amber Lindquist, are my cousins and their father is a Lindquist and most of his siblings live in
Catherine's Rest, right next to my imidiate family.

Lindquist Grandmother

Andrew Quetel (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
My mother's maiden name is Lindquist. I have several aunts and uncles living in St. Croix. I know its been awhile since your message was posted, but I'm sure that I can help. Thats if you haven't found who you're looking for. My grandfather was Paul Lindquist of Work & Rest, St. Croix. The name Daisy Linquist rings a bell. You can e-mail me and I'll do my best to get you all the imformation you need.

I am a Member of The Lindquist Family

Veronica Lindquist (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
My name is Veronica Lindquist. I am of Puerto Rican heritage. My father's name is William Lindquist & My mother's name was Antonia Pagan, daughter of Vicenta Negron. My father has a sister in St. Croix named Daisy. I have a sister named Yolanda, & an older brother named William Lindquist, Jr. Please let me know if you recognize any names I have stated above. I hope you do. Sincerely, Veronica Lindquist.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic