Search for content in message boards

JUSTUS/JUSTICE

JUSTUS/JUSTICE

Brenda Collins Dillon (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLLINS, HOLLOWAY, ROARK
I am searching for the accounts of a triple murder that happened in Buchanan County in 1933 when Walter Collins,
Hiram Collins, and a deputy sherriff Akers were murdered.
The information I have is that Hiram Collins was the s/o of Edward J. Collins & Anna Justus and members of the JUSTUS
family was the ones that did the killings but were found
not guilty for lack of evidence. I would like to connect with someone that has information on the Collins/ Justus
families. Thank you.

Brenda

Justus/Justice

Pat Girardi (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Justus, Justice

Hello Brenda,
Do you know the names of these Justice/Justus men that murderd these people? My Grandfather was the sherriff
in Buchanan Co, in the 1940's.His name was Stuart Justice. I have no information about this murder but Its very interesting.If you have any new information on this murder I would really appreciate any you could pass my way.

Thanks

Pat

Justus/Collins murders

Brenda Collins Dillon (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Pat, tried to email personally but my email came back as an "error"
According to the information I recieved: " September 6, 1933, warrants were issued for the arrest of Adam Justus and his four
sons, Boyd,Zeb,Walter, and Matt. They were indited by grand jury
November 16, 1933. April 23, 1934 they were found not guilty and let go for lack of evidence. Matt supposely did the shootings".

Please let me know if you find anything else on this or if you find
the Facemire author of this story. My line is Collins. The two men killed with the sheriff were Hiram and Walter Collins of Birch River,WV. They were from the Edward Collins Line. Edward Collins married Anna Justice so the two families were related. Edward was the brother of my John W. Collins.

Brenda

Re: JUSTUS/JUSTICE

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 7:46AM GMT
Surnames: collins justice justus
Hiram Collins was my great grandfather. I would love to find more information on this. If you get any please pass it on to me. How are you related?

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hiram Collins
This Hiram Collins was my g-grandfather. His son John Edward Collins was the father of my father Cecil Collins. Please email me. I too am trying to research this.

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 3:30PM GMT
i have info on Hiram Collins. he was my mother-in-laws great-great grandfather.i have papers on the murders of Hiram Collins. it is from papers that Anna Facemire Cutlip & Zina M. Facemire Wilcox wrote a while back. it has family pics with it,doesn't identify anyone in the pics, though! would love to exchange info with you!!

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 3:38PM GMT
i have info from Anna L. Facemire Cutlip & zina M. Facemire Wilcox, on the COllins/Justice(Justus) family line and murder stories.

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 7:05PM GMT
I searched our database at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC and this is what I found Walter Akers.

Panel: 10-E: 10
Department: Yuma County, Arizona, S.O.
End of Watch: February 4, 1948
Cause: Gunfire
Years of Service: Unk

Description: Deputy Akers was shot and killed while attempting to arrest an intoxicated man at the Parker train depot. The man was not allowed to board the train because of his inebriated state and he became belligerent and began waving a shotgun and making threats. Deputy Akers attempted to talk the man into putting the shotgun down. The suspect fired, striking Deputy Akers behind the left ear. Deputy Akers was pronounced dead at the hospital. The suspect turned himself in. He was convicted of murder and received a life sentence at the Arizona State Prison.

Re: Justus/Collins murders

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: collins
Im looking for John W Collins who had a son William Wesley Collins born 1866 in Nicholoas Co W VA his mother was a Nancy Lynch ?We think they came thru Kentucky but not sure

Re: Justus/Justice

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 11:37PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2012 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Justus, Dotson, Ratliff, Roberts
I found original indictment paper 15th Nov. 1933
naming: Adam, Matt, Zeb, Walter and Boyd Justus.
Grand Jury indictment states above did deliberetly,premediatetly,willfully,unlawfully,feloniously,
and with malice aforethought shoot,kill and murder one Walter Collins by shooting him and giving to him a mortal wound of which he then and there died.
Upon information given by Earnest Justus,Tom Dotson,John L.Ratliff, and Matilda Roberts

Some Collins/Roberts connections
(found marriage license where Verzesta Collins married Austin Roberts 1934 both from Tioga, W.Virginia)marriage witnessed by David Collins
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions