Search for content in message boards

Painting of La Salle's ship on display

Painting of La Salle's ship on display

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
For all you Jean l'Archiveque descendants!!!
There is an exhibit on display now at the New Mexico History Museum in Santa Fe which includes an original painting of La Salle's grounded out ship, La Belle. The exhibit will be in Santa Fe until the end of the year, then it will be in El Paso, and then New Orleans. As far as I know, these are the only 3 places. Other very interesting original documents from Seville pertaining to exploration and settlement of FL, TX, NM, and CA. But of course...the ship painting was awesome!!!! How many of us can say we can see a painting of the ship our ancestors came to this continent in the 17th century?

Re: Painting of La Salle's ship on display

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 6:56AM GMT
Wow that is so awesome, my grandmother was an archibeque and that would be amazing to see I dont suppose you have any pictures you would be willing share I live in Montana and dont have any chance of making it there. If you dont mind you can contact me at jmschavez at hotmail dot com or reply here, look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 12:47PM GMT
Sorry, but there is no photography allowed in the museum. There is a book called Threads of Memory, or El Hilo de La Memoria which describes and pictures all of the items on display. It was available at the museum bookstore. It was a bit pricey at $60.00, but you could probably order it from them.

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 8:09PM GMT
Surnames: Archibeque, Gurule
I went to the New Mexico History Museum off the Plaza in Santa Fe yesterday to see the rare Spanish documents which are hundreds of years old that are touring the United States. All I can say is...astounding! Astonishing!
Blown away! OMG! You have got to go see this! I stood in front of the La Belle drawing and just kept saying, mostly to myself, Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! over and over. Oh my god!
There was a security guard who came up to me later and commented that I looked like I was mesmerized. He was right.
Especially at the drawing of the La Belle on the skin. I've seen pictures of it in different books, but nothing prepared me for actually seeing it actually in from of me.
The colors of the ship and the detail of the ship and the rigging of the ship could have only been drawn by a sailor who was intimate with the ship and who was also a darn good artist. He was able to draw a beautiful face on the La Belle lady at the front of the ship.
I always imagined that the skin it was drawn on would be thick and sturdy, but the skin was more rectangular than I thought it would be and looked much more delicate than I ever imagined. I was astounded that they could make the ink and also to make the pens or quills to be able to write on it. The colors are vibrant and the detailing and coloring of the cannons and the rest of the ship just took my breath away. There's a crease in the middle where it was folded and it's easy to see that when it was folded, the fresh paint from the ship at the bottom of the
drawing was pressed upside down on the top part of the skin. The person who wrote his note on the left side of the piece obviously wasn't Jean L'Archiveque because the handwriting was so much better.
Something you'll never notice on any reproduction or photo...the flag at the top of the ship is not a French flag - it is a Spanish flag. It's very easy to see. I wonder if that was done deliberately so as not to make
the Spaniards mad and to help send a message of friendship.
It stirred in me new theories of what I think Santiago and Jean did, and what I think happened to them in those fateful days on the wild land of Texas oh so long ago. This is a must see exhibit! Eddie

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 6:02AM GMT
Well Thank You for the info I looked it up on the internet and found a picture of it and I must say I agree, what an amazing drawing though I am sure it is nothing like seeing it in person, I must admit the only picture I have seen of it didnt do any justice to the art and beauty of this picture. I have copied the link here for any one else interested. Once again thank you for sharing this with me and everyone else

http://online.nmhistorymuseum.org/threadsofmemory/documents/...

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 4:30PM GMT
Im an Archibeque that now lives in Montana, but was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. my grandfather was an Archibeque, and was born and raised in Alamosa, Colorado. Its exciting to know that one of my cousins:-) live in montana!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic