Search for content in message boards

Groom/Snelling marriages, Caldwell Co, KY, 1840s

Groom/Snelling marriages, Caldwell Co, KY, 1840s

Posted: 10 Jan 2002 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: GROOM, SNELLING
Margaret Martha Ann Snelling married (2) about 1841, William Garland Groom, son of Major Groom and Christiana Bibb. Elizabeth Ellen Snelling married on 29 May 1845, James Littleton Bevin Groom, brother of William Garland Groom. The Snelling girls were daughters of William Snelling, Jr, and Melinda Pollard. Are there any descendants or family researchers who know these couples?

Re: Groom/Snelling marriages, Caldwell Co, KY, 1840s

Mary (Hamlett) Quinn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 7:10PM GMT
I am a direct descendant of Major Groom and Christina Bibb, and James B. Groom and Elizabeth Ellen Snelling. James B. Groom and Elizabeth E. Snelling are the parents of my great great grandmother, Eliza Frances Groom (1/10/1848-3/25/1871). Eliza Frances Groom married John S. (Jack)White (11/15/1838-1924). They are the parents of my great grandmother, Frances White, who married James Jone Hamlett (much to her father's chagrin). They are the parents of my grandfather, Ira Hugh Hamlett and my grandmother, Catherine Cole. I have a lot of birth and marriage dates, including some interesting copies of documents of or about Major Groom. I hope this is helpful.

Posted: 20 Jan 2002 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: SNELLING, GROOM, SCOTT, POLLARD
Mary, The information is most helpful. As a Snelling researcher, I have found many descendants of William Snelling and Sarah Scott, Eliza's grandparents, and of William Snelling and Melinda Pollard, Eliza's parents. But I don't have nearly as much on the family of Elizabeth Ellen Snelling and James B Groom, and had nothing on Eliza but her name and place in the family. I'd like to know more about this whole James B Groom family and will tell you about the Snelling family if you are interested.

You do know, I'm sure, that Elizabeth's sister, Margaret Martha Ann Snelling, married William Groom as her second husband. And Mary Draper (I'm also a Draper researcher) married John Bibb Groom. Lots of intermarriages between these and about four other families. <JimMcMillen@earthlink.net>

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Groom/Collins
i am looking for Mildred Ann Groom who married George W. Collins. She was a daughter to Major Groom. We are stuck finding out about the Collins/Groom marriage.

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 11:52PM GMT
I, too am a direct descendant of Major Groom and Christina Bibb. Their daughter Mildred (Martha) Ann Groom married George Collins. Their son Major Daniel Collins is my gggrandfather. We are stuck on the Collins side, but I am interested in anything on the Groom side also.

Posted: 8 Mar 2007 4:54AM GMT
Mary Hamlett, I hope you get this. There are about 4 of us who have now DNA tested to belong to this family out of VA. Can you help us find our places on the family tree? Thanks. Ann Groom Lenz

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Groom
I am also a direct decendent of James B. Groom and Elizabeth Ellen Snelling, but on the Groom side. Their son, James Bibb Groom was their 8th child (Eliza their second). James Bibb Groom married Hannah Whetstone in 1888, and they had 6 children, with the 4th and 5th being my grandfather and his twin - Charles LITTLETON Groom and James LEONARD Groom (both went by their middle names). My father was named for his uncle, James Leonard Groom. I have the family tree, which extends back to Major Groom's father - Who was a John Groom who married a Sarah Webb. They lived in Virginia.

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: Groom Snelling Bibb
Yes, I am also a decendent of the Major Groom & Christina Bibb, but via James Littleton Biven Groom who married Elizabeth Snelling in the original post JLB Groom was the younger brother of your ancestor Mildred (Martha) Ann Groom.
Christina Bibb appears to have had one other living child, Charles Lorenzo (who was called Lorenzo) and then died in childbirth with their 10th child in 1863. I have a fairly complete geneology of the Groom line - at least through our family - but alas nothing of your branch. What are some of the things you would wish to know about the Grooms?

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Groom(s)
Your reply caught my interest. I believe I am a descendent of John Groom and Sarah Webb. My line follows from John Groom, to son, William Groom 1755 - 1811, to Moses Groom 1788 - 1809, to William W. Groom 1821 -1886, to William E. Groom 1870 - 1918, to my grandfather Arthur Kermit Grooms. I have a sibling for William Groom 1755 - 1811 as Zachariah Groom, but do not have a Major Groom. Would like to clarify and document if you would like to share information. I am also interested in confirming John Groom's parents names as I have a John Jerome and Jane Kempton from another person's tree, but no documentation to back it up. There was also no explanation why the surname would have changed.

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 6:11PM GMT
I would like to share information about our Groom/Grooms lineages. As you know there are multiple Johns, Williams, Zachariahs and Sarahs in the same proximity and eras so it has made our research difficult. The John Groom (Jr) will of 1805 Orange Co VA sheds a lot of light on his siblings and children of John Groom (Sr) of Spotsylvania Co VA mid 1700s. There was indeed a brother William and a deceased brother Zachariah in 1805. I've been trying to determine if this is the William who married Sarah Webb, daughter of William Warren Webb and Mary Crittendon. Sarah's brother Richard Crittendon Webb was an officer in the REV WAR and had a land warrant in Fayette Co KY next to the land of John Groom Jr which John left to his nieces and nephews. Richard was John Jr's commanding officer. I have yet to verify who John Groom SR was married to, but it wasn't this particular Sarah Webb. Contact me at meljr09@msn.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions