Search for content in message boards

Researching Clay and Early County, GA Surnames

Researching Clay and Early County, GA Surnames

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2005 11:13PM GMT
Surnames: Leath, Means, Hutchins, McLendon, McClendon, Urquhart, Smith, Thomas, Long, Danzey, Danzy, Grimsley, Knight
Researching all Leath, Means, Hutchins, McLendon, McClendon, Urquhart surnames in the area of Clay and Early County, Georgia.

Some of the descendants of these surnames migrated across the Chatahoochie River to Henry County, Alabama which later split into 2 counties producing also Houston County.
In all Alabama the surnames of Smith, Thomas, Long, Danzy, Danzey, Grimsley, Knight are added to the above name list.

Please contact me ASAP.

Saundra Brown

Re: Researching Clay and Early County, GA Surnames

Posted: 22 May 2006 5:50PM GMT
Which Danzey's do you have on your tree? I have Danzey on my tree.
Thanks,
Dawn

chy mitchell (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2006 10:52AM GMT
looking for any MUNN family links in GA, MY ggrandfather ? was born in GA then moved to NC, HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO trace him to GA

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 10:12PM GMT
My husbands family is from Houston County. I am still trying to piece together the names of Grimsley,Saffold,Lee,Bass,Thomas,Wade. All of these families connect somehow or another. I am related to just about everyone in Gordon,Alabama which is in Houston County. Maybe you will have some information which I can use and I might have some which you can use.

Posted: 22 Aug 2007 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: LEATH, MEANS, HUTCHINS, MCLENDON, MCCLENDON, GRIMSLEY, DANZEY, KNIGHT, SMITH, LONG, PRICE, THOMAS, WARD, WILLIAMS,
If you can be more specific about the full names, I will search my database to see if they are kin.

Saundra Oliver Brown

Posted: 23 Aug 2007 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: BASS
Hello felicia,

My name is Ruth Brown. I have been researching my Georgia family for about 3 1/2 years. I noticed the surname "Bass" in your query of surnames. This is one of the main surnames I am researching. I have observed over the past year a very possible connection between the Basses of Alabama, Georgia, Virgina, North Carolina, New York and Conn.

I am starting to believe that some of these families are one and the same as well as multiple family members who live in other states. Here are a few of the surnames that are linked to some of these bass families: Bates, Morris, Euell,Reynolds, Streeter, (Streater). They were from Covington, Georgia and Atlanta Georgia.

These are just a few there are at least 8-10 more surnames.
Maybe there is a connection, maybe not, but I couldn' let this opportunity pass by without inquireing. Thank you for sharing your information. Ruth

Posted: 23 Aug 2007 11:12AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Adolphus, Bass, Cordy, Sampson
Hi Ruth,
In researching my family, my first grandson is associated with the Bass family of Washington County, Georgia. 1880 Census, Washington County, Georgia: Joe Bass (b 1831) married to Francis (b 1845)- Children: Sam (b 1870), Cain?(b 1872), Hattie (b 1873), Ida (b 1874), Nancy (b 1876), Anna (b 1877 - my grandson's gggrandmother), & John (b 1879. I don't know if there is any connection with your Bass family. I also have the full 1890 census for Washington County, Georgia and am willing to share information.

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 12:18PM GMT
I will sit down this weekend and forward you everything that I have.

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 4:01AM GMT
Hello Adamadolphus1,

Thank you for your response to the Bass Surname query. You mentioned that you were not sure if there was a connection or not between your grandson's Bass family and my Bass family.

In my research I have found that many of the Bass families of the north and south are related. Sometimes they traded(gifted, willed, or loaned) African, and African American slaves back and forth between each other. This would sometimes cause a slave family to be broken up and separated for months, years, of permanently.

Imagine, a black family of five, parents, three children. Two of the children are sent from Georgia to Virginia to work for "Master Bass'" son who lives in Virginia. The son after a few years marries and moves to Alabama with his new bride and starts raising a family. He takes the two slaves who are originally from Georgia, with him to Alabama. Eventually the young slaves grow up and have children of their own and in some cases even have children by the master who received them in Virginia.

This type of "passing around" of slaves has now caused some of the children in the slave family to be half brother and sisters to their slave family. I can see why some of the slaves kept the master's surname (because he was their father) and some did not keep the surname of the master.

The Bass surname is huge. My Basses come from, New York, Conn., North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio. My direct Basses seem to come from North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and New York(since 1900). Who knows, perhaps we will find a link. I do not recognize any of the family members you sent me, but who knows. Washington County is only 2 hours away (by car) from Newton County where most of my family lived for over 250 years. Seems like a Bass/Bates roots area in the town of Covington, Georgia

I will be happy to share all that I can if it will help you.
Sincerely,Ruth

Posted: 26 Aug 2007 12:38PM GMT
Surnames: Adolphus(Dolphus), Patterson, Hall, Hastings, Hooks, Trawick, Hodges, Tripplet, Mason, Gray
Hi Ruth,

What you relate is absolutely true. Most slaves in Georgia came here via the Georgia Land Lotteries during the early 1800's. Since that time, very few native Africans arrived here. In the ensuing censuses, one finds few African Americans who were born in Africa and those who were and had survived were quite elderly. I have been able to find two wills that included members of my family. They came from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina, but that is the only information that I have been able to uncover thus far. The wills spelled out who was to get whom and when. African Americans searching for their roots need to determine who their owners were if possible. In that way they can deduce a great deal of information. My wife and I have been researching our respective families for nearly three years and have some 270 plus surnames associated with our families. It is a daunting but rewarding endeavor. We also have contriuted to the National Geographic and Familytree DNA projects. More African Americns should do this. If they did, I believe a lot more connections could be made. I want to thank you for your interest and willingness to offer assistance. Wishing you much success in your continuing quest.

Sincerely,

Adam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions