Search for content in message boards

PA to IL by wagon train

PA to IL by wagon train

Cathy Martin (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2006 6:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2006 7:49AM GMT
I have hit a brick wall in that I've recently learned my G-G-Grandparents died on a wagon train from PA to IL. Their son survived and settled in IL. He was born in 1831 in PA and the first time he shows up on any census is 1860 in Marshall, Clark County, IL. How can I obtain passenger lists or any other kind of wagon train lists that might help me determine who his parents were? Any help to break through this brick wall is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Re: PA to IL by wagon train

Posted: 18 Jul 2006 11:54PM GMT
Cathy, if you give me some more info on your ancestor (name, spouse's name, etc.), I can try to do a few lookups for you in my PA sources.

Re: PA to IL by wagon train

Posted: 19 Jul 2006 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Martin
Hi Nancy, thank you for any assistance you can lend! Ancestor's name is Andrew J. Martin, born July 31, 1831 in PA. I haven't been able to find any other details surrounding his birth such as which County in PA or siblings, etc. He was in Marshall, Clark County, Illinois by July 30, 1856 since that is when he married Mary Jane Caldwell. She was born March 12, 1840, in Ohio. We do not know when Andrew's parents originally ventured out on the wagon train from PA to IL. It could have been any time between his birth in PA in 1831 and 1856 when his marriage license was recorded in Illinois. I have been trying to find his parents for a couple of years now to no avail. Thank you for looking into this for us!
Posted: 21 Jul 2006 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: Martin
I've looked through several sources for your Andrew Martin and did not find the right person. There was a prominent Martin family in the Lehigh Valley, PA, area in the 19th century, but the only Andrew I could find in that family was about two generations older than your Andrew. Also, almost every male member of that family became a physician, and according to the 1860 census, your Andrew was a farmer.

I did find a listing online for a Civil War soldier named Andrew J. Martin from Marshall, Illinois, who enlisted in Company F, 79th Infantry Regiment Illinois on 28 August 1862, and died in service on 31 December 1862 in Nashville, TN. If this is the same Andrew Martin, you could send for his military service records from the National Archives. Sometimes these contain the soldier's birthplace and the names of his parents.

Re: No luck

Posted: 22 Jul 2006 12:14AM GMT
Hi Nancy, thank you for checking your sources for us. We do already have Andrew's Civil War papers, but unfortunately they did not list his birthplace or the names of his parents. I think this is as good as it's going to get, and it'll just have to remain a mystery as to where this family line of ours originated from.

Thank you again for your efforts!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic