Search for content in message boards

Ann Foster

Ann Foster

Posted: 15 Mar 2005 12:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: FOSTER, BURBANK
Seeking information about Widow Ann Foster, accused of witchcraft, who died in prison. Who was Ann Foster's husband? Was he Abraham Foster [Abt. 1622-Abt 1711], son of Reginald Foster [1636-1707]?

Savage’s “Genealogical Dictionary of New England” identifies the widow of Abraham Foster, son of Reginald Foster, as the woman who was “…sentenc. to d. for witchcraft, but d. in prison." Another source, however, gives a different name for Abraham's wife -Lydia Burbank. Was Ann his second wife??? Are these two entirely different Foster families?

Many thanks if you can help me untangle this information-

Jean

Re: Ann Foster

Posted: 16 Mar 2005 1:41PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2005 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Alcock, Foster
I am not really sure but could this be Ann Alcock, daughter of George Alcock, and wife of Andrew Foster of Andover?

Posted: 16 Mar 2005 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: FOSTER
Yes, I think so, now that I've been looking at more source material. I now believe Savage's New England Hist. is in error in identifying Ann Foster as the widow of an Abraham Foster. Both Abraham Foster and Andrew Foster apparently died at 90+ yrs of age and lived in close proximity, so Savage probably confused them.

Now I'm wondering of Abraham Foster, s/o Reginald Foster is in any way related to Andrew Foster, husband of Ann Foster, the widow accused of witchcraft, or if these are two entirely different lines of Fosters.

Jean

Cathy Clark (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2005 7:12PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2005 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Foster
Ann (Alcock) Foster had a son named Abraham who had to pay to retrieve her remains from Salem Jail. Familysearch.org has a wealth of information on this family. You can also find the transcripts to the trials on a Google search.
Good Luck!

A. J. Piper (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2005 4:23AM GMT
Edited: 10 Dec 2005 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Foster, Austin, Ballard, Lacey, Stone
I have two relatives from two seperate family lines that were involved in the trials one accused (Ann Foster 12th Generation Great Grandmother) one who testified (Hopestill Austin 11th Generation Great Grandmother involved in a different portion of the trials).
I retrieved info on Ann from Foster Gen. Book located in Andover, MA Library and Haverhill, MA Gen. Library (Best in New England for Gen. research) As well as going to Salem and looking up info on the trial transcrips at the Peabody Essex Museum Phillips Library.
Ann Foster was born1620 died December 3rd 1692 in prison (Salem Village which I was told is actually closer to Danvers MA) Accused of and confessed to witchcraft soon after she was arrested her daughter and grandaughter were also arrested. Though her daughter eventually said her mother was involved in the witchcraft Ann refused to state that her daughter was involved in any witchcraft.
There is additional suspition surrounding the individual implicating Ann because she was elderly and the family involved in the impication it was suggested that he wanted her land. The individual whom made the complaint on July 14 against Ann (Joseph Ballard) had in 1689 been granted 20 acres of land with his brother John near Roger's Brook to set up a Saw-mill, fulling-mill, and grist mill.
Ann Fosters husband was Andrew Foster Born 1579 in England Died 1685 in Andover MA at age an amazing 106 years of age. He owned plots of land in the Extreme Southerly Corner of Andover MA. He was made Freeman 1669. One of the first Settlers Andover MA 1640. Fosters Pond in Andover MA was named after him. Member Scotch Charitable Association (became Saint Andrews Society) He married Ann Foster 1639 in England.
Ann's son Abraham lived in the north end as did her daughter Mary with her husband Lawrence Lacey and their children --eldest Mary Lacey (Jr)
In 1710 Abraham Foster petitioned for and recieved in 1711/12 reimbursement for fees charged for his mother and sister in regards to their imprisonment.
Ann's other son Andrew Foster Jr. (my great grandfather) was born 1640 Died May 1697 was made freeman 1690 he lived near Abbott Village Hill. He married Mary Russ June 7, 1690 in Andover MA. Andrew Foster Jr. with his wife resided with his mother Ann Foster he inherited the property from his mother.
An item that is said to possibly have helped to set the stage for Ann's eventual arrest is that in 1689 Ann's daughter Hannah aged approx. 41 had been slain by her husband Hugh Stone during a drunken rage. For the crime Stone was Hanged.
I just saw this posting, I hope this information helps.

Posted: 7 Dec 2005 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: FOSTER
Thank you so much! This answers many of my questions.

Best regards,
Jean

K Fatooh (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2006 1:59AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2006 10:13AM GMT
Surnames: Foster, Austin
Thank you for this information. I'm also a descendent of Ann Foster and Austins.

I suppose jail did her in. Elderly, imprisoned in rough conditions, in winter, she was killed as surely as if she had been formally executed.

I would love to have any more information anyone can provide on Ann and her family.

Kerry (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2006 9:44PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: Foster, Lacey
I've just found out that Ann Alcock Foster is my 9th great grandmother and if you're a member of Ancestry.com you can do a search on her and find the book "Historical Sketches of Andover" which has a whole chapter on the Witchcraft in Andover and quite a lot about Ann Foster and her daughter and granddaughter, Mary Sr. & Mary Jr. Lacey. You can also look at http://etext.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft/ for some more good info, trial transcripts, and maps and things. There seems to be a real lot out there to look at.

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 4:50PM GMT
September 17, 1692: Margaret Scott, Wilmott Redd, Samuel Wardwell, Mary Parker, Abigail Faulkner, Rebecca Earnes, Mary Lacy, Ann Foster and Abigail Hobbs are tried and sentenced to hang.
Mary Lacy of Andover was accused of witchcraft and admitted to it. She said "me and Martha Carrier did both ride on a stick or pole when we went to witch meetings at Salem Village." Ironically, those who confessed to being witches were not executed, but many of those who denied witchcraft were hung. Mary Lacy was allowed to go free after her "confession" but she had damned Martha Carrier in the process. Martha was hung a few weeks later. Mary Lacy's mother, Ann Foster, died in a Salem Dungeon due to ill treatment from Sheriff George Corwin.
Foster, Ann Died in jail, her son had to pay Two pounds, 16 Shillings before he could get the body for burial. Refused to implicate her daughter, Mary Lacy.
Ann Foster was one of the accused "witches" of 1692. She was elderly, and had been a witness to the growing hysteria among the people of Andover, and all of Essex County, that had seen Bridget Bishop already executed, and five others condemened to be hanged within the week, by the time she confessed on July 15. The following passages are included as an aid to researchers, and serve to illustrate the shameful choice that was forced on the accused - to either confess and live, or profess innocence, in truth, and die.

"The Andover confessions were among the most colorful of any made anywhere. Ann Foster, who later died in prison, told John Hale that she had ridden from Andover to a Salem Village witch meeting on a stick but that the stick had broken and given her a fall. She was still sore, she claimed. When she later repeated this confession, she added in response to Hales's query as to what she did for food, that she carried bread and cheese in her pocket. She described all the witches at the meeting enjoying a picnic under a tree before getting down to their devilish business." Hill, A Delusion of Satan, p. 150.

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 4:53PM GMT
Ann Alcock Foster, was born in England about 1617, married Andrew Foster about 1640 and led a rather ordinary life until the year of her death on the 3rd of Dec 1693 at the age of 76. The family resided in Andover, Massachusetts about 17 miles from Salem. As the hysteria over witchcraft grew in Salem it affected Andover where they resided. Bridget Bishop had already been executed and on September 17, 1692 Ann and her daughter Mary Lacey along with their neighbors Margaret Scott, Wilmott Redd, Samuel Wardwell, Mary Parker, Abigail Faulkner, Rebecca Eames, and Abigail Hobbs were tried and sentenced to be hanged.
Those who refused to confess were being executed. Mary in her confession stated "me and Martha Carrier did both ride on a stick or pole when we went to witch meetings at Salem Village." Unfortunately a few weeks later Martha Carrier was executed by hanging. Ann did not implicate anyone in her confession.
"The Andover confessions were among the most colorful of any made anywhere. Ann Foster, who later died in prison, told John Hale that she had ridden from Andover to a Salem Village witch meeting on a stick but that the stick had broken and given her a fall. She was still sore, she claimed. When she later repeated this confession, she added in response to Hales's query as to what she did for food, that she carried bread and cheese in her pocket. She described all the witches at the meeting enjoying a picnic under a tree before getting down to their devilish business." Hill, A Delusion of Satan, p. 150.
Due to her age and ill treatment by Sheriff George Corwin she died in Salem Dungeon. They refused to release her body for burial until her son paid 2 pounds 16 shillings which he later recovered from the village after the hysteria was over and they admitted the wrongs that had been done.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions