Search for content in message boards

Source for info on Native American groups in NE Richland County before 1830?

Source for info on Native American groups in NE Richland County before 1830?

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Am doing a time line of "ownership" and events regarding a farm in Butler Township, Richland County, which has been in my husband's family since 1842.
This farm is very close to present day Ashland and Huron Counties. I have the 1829 US land patent for this 80 acre parcel sold at Wooster, Ohio. But this was Native American land before being taken by whites. I realize that Native American groups often moved seasonally over wide areas. But I would like to acknowledge some detail of what groups might have considered this area theirs.
Does anyone know of a source that gives names to Native American bands or tribes that were in this area?

Re: Source for info on Native American groups in NE Richland County before 1830?

Posted: 21 Feb 2009 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
If you will google the Greentown Indians there are a number of sites that will give you the information. Howe's Historical Collections of Ohio has all the counties you mentioned and tells of the Indians involved in that county.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions