Search for content in message boards

John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2001 12:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello from Cheryl in Oklahoma!

I have an ancestor listed in the DAR patriot index: John Nelson from VA, born 1747, rank Lt., not pensioned, spouse Bathsheba Hogan. I am descended through his son, William.

I am interested in membership in the DAR but have a few basic questions. For recent generations, is a birth cert. all I need, or do I need marriage documents as well? Will copies of Bible pages be sufficient of their own? Also, how can I find out where and with whom John Nelson served? I've read he obtained a military land grant on the Big Barren River in Kentucky. How can I obtain a copy of the land grant, and what would it tell me? Sorry for all of the questions, but I've recently become aware of this info. and am excited to obtain the necessary records!

Anxiously awaiting your reply,
Cheryl

Re: John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Kathryn (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2001 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Dear Cheryl,

I was interested in your ancestor so I decided to try and answer part of your questions. A DAR member has used your ancestor John Nelson, of Virginia for membership in the DAR. He is listed in the on-line DAR Patriot Index as having been born 10 July 1747, died KY probably 1829. He married Bathesheba Hogan. His service was in Virginia, and he held the rank of LT. His widow did not receive a pension. You can write to DAR for this application, which will give you service information and the sources. You can reference this national number on your application for membership in the proof section of the Patriot's generation. Send a $5.00 check payable to Treasurer General, NSDAR to NSDAR, Office of the Registrar General, Attn: Record Copy 1776 D. St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20006-5303. Allow about six weeks for a reply.

We are pleased that you are interested in membership in the DAR. Please send an email with your full name, address and email to the Board Coordinator (Glendamt@aol.com) who will forward your interest to the nearest DAR chapter.

Concerning your proof, you will need birth, marriage and death certificates for the first three generations if available. If these are not available then you may use photos of gravestones, obituaries, Pages of an old family Bible...but you must also include the cover page and publication page with the date published. After the first three generations are documented then you may need to use census records, wills if possible, which name children. Concerning the military land grant I am not sure what it might tell you other than where the land was located, which could help for a place to search for records. These records are available...but I do not know exactly where to write. You might contact the nearest genealogy library or Church of the Latter Day Saints library for assistance. Good luck.

Kathryn
VIS Volunteer

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2001 5:10AM GMT
Thank you, Kathryn. Your reply is very helpful! I have already sent my name in on the DAR website to be contacted, but I understand that can take a while. I am anxious to get started documenting the first 3 generations and will certainly send for an application copy.
Happy Holidays!

Posted: 5 Feb 2002 7:57AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2002 7:04AM GMT
If you are married, you will also need copy of your marriage license, and your husband's birth certificate.
Bible records are very good if before bc, but pictures of tombstones will establish b & d. You have to prove each generation was born, died and Married. Good Luck. It is a great organization to belong to. We are a great PATRIOT group.
DAR Member in Mo.

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2002 5:27PM GMT
Thank you...I appreciate the information!

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Cheryl,
I also am a descendant of John Nelson and Bathsheba Hogan through their son, Whitson, who was born in 1803 in Kentucky. I have information up to Whitson but need to link him to his parents. If you have Bible records for the family I would be anxious to see copies. I also have a list of other children and dates of birth, etc. Hope to hear from you.
Debra

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 5:37PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Nelson, Hogan, Catlett
To Cheryl and all who have helped with DAR info, Hello.

I am descended from John Nelson and Bathsheba Hogan through Sally Ann (some records as Sarah Ann). As I've been looking this week at the Revolutionary War records available (both reported as well as digitized originals), I've encountered contradictory information--no doubt due to the large number of Nelsons (especially John Nelsons). Even in an approved application, I've encountered difficulties: dates that don't match up, or ranks that later pensions match with the wrong John Nelson, etc.

As I've tried sorting this all out, I've encountered a document that may or may not clear things up--a muster list for Capt. Benjamin Harrison's Virginia Militia from Fauquier County: it includes a John Nelson AND a Rawley Hogan (son of John Hogan and Mary Ann Catlett, brother of Bathsheba). I believe this to be the true and correct John Nelson, but wonder if this is connected to other documentation already.

Is there anyone who has worked on this that has been able to sort this out. Can you give incontrovertible evidence of the proper connections to this Revolutionary War ancestor? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic