Search for content in message boards

Frank L. Hoy/Mary Kelker and family

Frank L. Hoy/Mary Kelker and family

Posted: 26 May 2002 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2004 11:47AM GMT
Surnames: HOY, KELKER, PENCE
I am looking for information on the family of Frank L. Hoy and Mary R. Kelker. Frank L. Hoy was the son of George W. Hoy and Sarah Lovejoy Root, and was born in Manchester, Washtenaw County, Michigan about 1860. Beginning in 1875 and continuing until 1885, several of Frank's brothers relocated the family carpentry business to Monmouth, Warren County, Illinois. In 1885, Frank's parents also moved to Monmouth, along with the younger children still living at home. In the 1880 Census, Frank is shown working for a luber yard in Manchester, Michigan at the age of 20. I have no evidence that Frank ever moved to Monmouth. Frank was listed as living in Fort Wayne in 1886, from the announcement of his sister's wedding published in the Fort Wayne Sunday Gazette on 23 May of that year (The wedding took place in Monmouth, IL and the clipping I have was reprinted in a paper from Michigan). Frank L. Hoy is found in the 1920 US Census for Fort Wayne, along with his wife, Mary, and daughters Vera, Helen, and Gertrude. In the 1920 Census, Frank is listed as a clerk for a railroad.

Among records available on the Internet, I found Frank's marriage to Mary R. Kelker on 21 November 1889. In that particular index, Frank is listed as Francis L. Hay. There are also two births listed in online indexes - one for a son in 1899, and daughter Gertrude in 1906. Daughters Vera and Helen were not found in that index. The name of the son remains a mystery, as he was not found in the 1920 census with the family. It is possible that they had other children also that left home prior to the 1920 census. This is the only census that I have located the family in thus far.

Also in the online records was a marriage between Gertrude Hoy and Walburn Pence in 1924. A lookup in the 1939 and 1946 Fort Wayne directories revealed that Gertrude was no longer with Walburn - reason unknown. The Social Security Death Index listed Walburn as dying in Fort Wayne during 1980.

I don't have much information on Mary R. Kelker. The 1920 census shows she was born about 1871 in Indiana. I found two references to Mrs. Frank Hoy in the Fort Wayne Evening Sentinel, which may or may not be a match. One entry dated 8 July 1896 stated she and infant daughter were visting relatives and friends in Fort Wayne, having come from Chicago. Frank did have a brother and sister living in Chicago at that time - perhaps his family moved periodically from Fort Wayne. That could explain why Vera and Helen weren't in the birth index, but would also indicate a forth daughter for the Hoy's. The second entry is dated 7 February 1906; Mrs. Frank Hoy was elected first president of the Saint Augustine Acadamy Alumnae Association. Again, this may not be a match.

I do not have any exact dates concering Frank Hoy or Mary Kelker, as far as their birth and deaths. From lookups in Fort Wayne directories, he was still living in 1946, at the same address given in the 1920 Census - 702 East Washington Blvd. By the 1954 directory, Mary was living without Frank at 4820 Oliver. These listings show that Frank lived to be at least 85 (like both of his parents), and Mary to at least age 83.

I would appreciate any further information on the family members listed above, or contact with possible living descendants in the area. Thank you.

Re: Frank L. Hoy/Mary Kelker and family

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 12:14AM GMT
I have the information you requested regarding the Hoy family and I'll send a reply to you through your personal e-mail address.
Pat

Posted: 1 Jun 2002 8:53AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2004 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: HOY, KELKER, PENCE
Thank you, Pat. I appreciate the help. My email address is WQ9T@ARRL.NET .

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: KELKER
Mary KELKER is the daughter of Samuel KELKER and Eleanore ANKENBRUCK, Samuel is the son of my David KELKER and Mary HOUSER
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sfollis/follis/kelk...
The KELKER family is outlined in the book Genealogical Record of The Family of Koelliker of Herrliburg, District Meilen, Canton Zurich, Switzerland written in 1849 by Rev. John Jacob Hess, then updated in 1883 by Rudolph F.Kelker.

Frank HOY and Mary KELKER and her parents are buried in the Catholic Cemetery on Lake Avenue.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions