Search for content in message boards

MORGAN family

MORGAN family

Posted: 5 Aug 2004 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: MORGAN
I am seeking information on the family of John Morgan and Jane Kingston [b December 22, 1828, Frontenac Co d/o Paul Kingston and Sarah Gay].

Known children of John and Jane were William b December 08, 1848; Ella b October 10, 1860; and Victoria who married James Knowles November 12, 1889 at her mother's home in Walsingham Centre, Ont..

I don't know of any other children although I'm sure there were others. The Ontario cemetery finding aid suggests family members were perhaps buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery and Carholme-Knowles. I don't have access to these transcripts right now.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!

Re: MORGAN family

Brenda Rohrer Smith (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Rohrer/Sims/Hough/Tait/Baumwart/Montross/McLeish
The Carholme-Knowles Cemetery is Consession 9, Lot 18 in Walsingham Township Norfolk.

It has:

James F. Knowles 1866-1918 and Victoria Morgan 1870-1946.

William Morley Knowles 1890-1976
Anna Victoria Knowles
Wife of J. Guy McChesney 1892-1984
Ella Morgan Knowles-Harris 1902-1994
Leslie Kingston Knowles 1895-1959 & wife Grace P. Cline 1898-1975

There is also a reference to from Antrim Ireland by other Knowles in this cemetery for members b c 1787 and 1814.

Posted: 8 Aug 2004 3:26AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 3:39AM GMT
Thanks so much Brenda ... this is wonderful!

Posted: 29 May 2009 12:50AM GMT
I am very interested in your connection to this family. I have recently learned that I am the great great grand-daughter ofJohn Morgan and Jane Kingston. They had a daughter Victoria Morgan who married James Fulton Knowles. One of their children was Ella Morgan Knowles (who later changed hername to Helen.
Ella(HELEN, as I knew her, had two sons:
Robert Hugh Perry and
William Knight
I am the daughter of Robert Perry

Posted: 29 May 2009 2:38PM GMT
Hi Wendy

I just had Ella Morgan Knowles marrying a Mr Harris. This may be wrong as I don't have a Marriage registration for them.

Did she marry a PERRY and a KNIGHT?

My main line is the Kingston family. Jane Kingston was my 2nd great grand aunt; sister to my gg grandmother Sarah Kingston.

Posted: 29 May 2009 9:52PM GMT
Thanks for your reply;
Ella Knowles married a Mr Knight first. He died quite young-I believe in a train accident.He was the father of my father and William Knight.My father was born when Ella was very young and adopted by the Perry family.(I'm sure you can guess what happened).Several years later she married Mr Harris.My father was able to trace Helen and she was always part of my
life so I am sure of this information.
Until recently, the identity of my ancesters was unknown beyond Helen (Ella)but thanks to people like you, I have been able
to piece things together.
I have visited the Knowles Cemetery recently and have seen the graces of James Knownles and Victoria Morgan. I will visit the cemetery again in the next few weeks looking for more Morgan/Kingston graves. One thing I did come across in my searchings is that James Knowles and Victoia Morgan were married at the home of Victoria'parents John Morgan and Jane Kingston.
I guess several generations back, you and I must have a common ancestor.Are you located in the Norfolk county area.
Regards
Wendy

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 5:20PM GMT
Hi Wendy -
Our common ancestor was Paul Kingston b 24 Dec 1798 in Drimoleague, Co. Cork, Ireland and his wife Sarah Gay b abt 1805 Ballineen, Co Cork, Ireland. They were Jane's parents.

Paul died 5 Jan 1858 and the following is his obit -
From Death Notices from the Christian Guardian 1851-1860, by Rev Donald A McKenzie:
Paul Kingston was born in Co. Cork, Ireland in 1800, married Sarah Gay in 1827, and came to Canada with her 2 months after their marriage, settling in Hallowell Twp., where he taught school for 12 years. Then he moved to Rawden where he settled on a farm. He died there Jan 5, 1858, as a result of an accident [attempting to check a team of runaway horses, that were not his own]; survived by his wife and his children. [Feb 3, 1858, pg 72 Death Notice]

His wife Jane died 10 Feb 1863, also in Rawden Twp

I live in Peterborough, next to Hastings Co

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:43PM GMT
I am the great-grandson of Victoria Morgan who did marry james Knowles and had five children Leslie, d1960, Ella Harris, Anna McChesney, Bessie Whitlock and William Morley(my Grandfather.0 He had three children Hugh, Barbara and Shirley (my mother). I have quite a bit of information on the Knowles side of the family. William Morgan who was Victoria uncle I believe was a member of the provincial legislature as is one of the Kingston relatives who I haven't quite tracked back yet. They were apparently quite active in developing Worker's Compensation in Ontario.
There is a memorial service at the Carholme cemetary 2nd week in July every year. Victoria lived in Walsingham centre and there is a lane named Morgan lane located where the house she live in is. I would love to hear more about Aunt Ella (who you call Helen). All of my great aunts were lovely and very bright people and I always had great times when they visited with my Grandfather.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions