Search for content in message boards

Where was Killingsworth CN?

Where was Killingsworth CN?

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2002 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Kingman, Latimer
My ancestor Mitchell Kingman from Canaan CN m Keturah Latimer from Killingsworth CN in 1770. Was Killingsworth near Canaan?

Re: Where was Killingsworth CN?

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 2:26PM GMT
Not familiar with a Killingsworth. There is a Killingworth in CT. It's about 80 miles southeast of Canaan, in Middlesex County.

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 3:20PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2002 2:08PM GMT
Thank you. That may be the town I'm looking for but I still can't figure out why Mitchell Kingman would travel back to southern CN for a wife. A year after they married, their first child was born in Wethersfield, Hartford Co so it's possible he did backtrack.

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 3:30PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2002 4:19PM GMT
There are all sorts of explanations. It's possible that he met her in California and went back for her. Or they might have met when she was in Connecticut.

One ancestor of mine from New York went to Denver on business, where he met a lady from Lyons, Nebraska, and as newly-weds they went to Louisiana. If I hadn't known the story already, I would have had a dickens of a time with that one!

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 4:01PM GMT
It's really not too unusual. From Canaan to Hartford, there was the Albany Turnpike in existence at the time (now route 44) and from Hartford to Killingworth there was what is now route 2 or route 9.

Lying between Boston and New York City, CT had a fairly good road system then. The Connecticut River was also navigable from the coast up past Hartford and flows right by Wethersfield and within 10 miles of Killingworth, if I'm reading my maps correctly.
Bill St. George

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Pangborn, Kingman,
could it be that the abbreviation for connecticut is CT not CN?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions