Search for content in message boards

McCarthy's of Skibbereen

McCarthy's of Skibbereen

Posted: 6 Jan 2005 1:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy
My family is McCarthy and they are from Skibbereen and I am interested to see if there are any connections to my family or visa a versa.
Thanks

Re: McCarthy's of Skibbereen

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 5:49PM GMT
My Casey married Mary McCarthy, daughter of James McCarthy of Caheragh. I was visiting the Caseys of Skibbereen last year and talked to Mrs. McCarthy of Corliss, witin sight of the church at Caheragh....maybe we can put the families togather.

Noreen King (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2005 8:26PM GMT
I think it would be interesting to share our info and see if we might somehow be related.
Noreen

Colleen Casey (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2005 5:36PM GMT
I don't know how to send you my ID so we can write to each other. I tried to comtact the lady who handles this message board but it came back, undelivered. My Casey/McCarthys are from Caheragh, Corliss, Cooraganniive and now Bantry. I have sponsors for the Caseys who were O'Driscoll and there are still some of them in the area. The children of Jerry Casey were John 1826, Ellen 1828, James 1832, Dan and Denis 1837. Sean Casey of Bandon died 2002 and he was helping us with the family. His dau is Nollag Casey, the violinist and singer. I think Ellen Casey married an O'Driscoll of Caheragh and Mary McCarthy Casey went back to Corliss after Jerry died/Griffith's Val. John came to USA in 1849 and we think James went to sea.

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 2:11AM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2005 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
My gr gr grandmother, Maria [pronounced Mariah] McCarthy was from Letter, Skibbereen. She married Michael Minihane of Ballyally, Skib on Feb. 18, 1840. I only know of one of her siblings, Daniel McCarthy, born 1803, who married Ellen Minihane. Maria McCarthy and Michael Minihane raised 6 children in the Skib area. Daniel McCarthy and Ellen Minihane moved to Ontario, Canada and raised their 8 children there. I have a lot of information on the Maria/Michael line and am willing to share. Am looking for Maria McCarthy's siblings and ancestors.

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 2:31AM GMT
I forgot to mention in previous message - I visited Skibbereen in June 2005, and was told by relatives there that we were McCarthy's "Casadh Ria". When researching this, I found that there was a McCarthy Reagh branch, who was the prince of Carbery in 1200AD. My McCarthy/Minihanes rented land of Lord Carbery near Castletownsend, Skib in the 1800s.

Noreen (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 12:14AM GMT
It sounds like you have been able to get more info than I have. I have been over many times to skibbereen and family however I do not know much more than they are McCarthy's and they are refeered to as Michael -Timmy -Jer showing the father in each generation. They own a dairy farmer and produced milk for the local creamery up until a few years ago when they sold most of the cows.
I also seem to be having a bit of difficulty finding any heritage before my g.g.grandmother Catherine Keohane and Florence Sullivan, they were married in 1865 in the chapel of Skibbereen. then their daughter Mary Sullivan married my grandfather Jeremiah McCarthy in 1884 in the church of Caheragh. That is all I have for Ireland's family history. Is there any tips you can give me for finding out more about them? I would be greatly appreciative.
It was nice hearing from you.
Noreen

McCarthy Reagh or Riobach farmers at Oakmount near Skibbereen

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 11:45AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy Reagh
My family clan are McCarthy Reagh or Riobach - my ggparents Daniel and Mary McCarthy raised 13 children on the Oakmount Estate near Dunmanway/Ballinacarriga which was one of the largest dairy farms around in the late 1800s. Through a death and re-marriage Oakmount farm passed from the McCarthys around the 1940s/50s after being the family residence for nearly 100 years..the family continued dairy farming in the locality and also had strong connections with relatives in Skibbereen....I do have some more details if you think there may be a connection.
Regards Mary

Posted: 26 May 2007 10:37AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy/Connolly
Hi Colleen
I am trying to trace McCarthy's from the Bantry area.
The info I do have was John was born approx.1840 and he married Catherine Connolly from Cork.They were in East London England by the 1871 Census.They named their children-John,Mary-Ann,Cornelius,Catherine,Bridget,THOMAS,JOSEPH,Michael and Patrick.Do you have any of these names?
Regards
Kathy

Re: McCarthy Reagh or Riobach farmers at Oakmount near Skibbereen

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy Regan
I have a Mary McCarthy married to Daniel Regan living at Dromourneen near Dunmanway. Daniel was born circa 1880 so assume Mary is also from that time period.

Would be glad to hear of any possible connections.

regvolk@silk.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic