Search for content in message boards

WALSH in Newfoundland

WALSH in Newfoundland

Steve Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALSH, POWER, WILLIAMS, KELLY
I'd like to get in touch with researchers of WALSH in Newfoundland, especially around Placentia and Point Verde. My grandfather, Richard WALSH, was b. Dec 14, 1895 and baptized in Placentia's Catholic Church.

father; Francis Richard Walsh

Posted: 5 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2002 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Walsh, Bray
Trying to obtain genealogical history onb my father Francis Richard Walsh, born in Mewfoundland (? Fortune Harbor) in 1888. After the death of his father, also Francis Richard Walsh, his mother catherine Lewis married John Bray and moved to Montreal. Subsequently they emigrated to Massachusetts

Re: WALSH in Newfoundland

Posted: 6 Aug 2002 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2004 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: Moulton, Walsh
I was wondering if you have an Ellen Walsh in your tree. She married George Moulton. They lived in Burin Bay. I am not sure if they were born there, or if they immigrated there. They had a son named Joseph. I have more info on Joseph, but that is all I have on George and Ellen.

Allison Wilton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2004 3:13PM GMT
How did your research end up? My grandmother's mother was a Walsh from Placentia but died. She was married to an Edward or edmund O'Keefe. My grandmother was born around Oct 1908

Steve Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2004 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: WALSH
I'm still pursuing my WALSH roots in Placentia. What was your great-grandmother's name? Any other details available, such as date of birth, her parents, etc. There seems to have been a few WALSH families in Placentia and surrounding towns like Pointe Verde. I just obtained two CD's that have gravesite images from many cemeteries in and around Placentia. That will be my next line of research.

Regards,

Steve Stuart

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 6:03AM GMT
Surnames: Walsh, Furlong, Dwyer, Hickey
Steve - just maybe we can make a connection somewhere. It's been slow going for me on my Walsh line.

Here is what I (believe) I know. Some is confirmed, but some is just 'believed to be accurate' based on discussions with family members when they were alive.

Emma Evans (b. Apr 1852, Argentia) married James Walsh
They had (at least):
Catherine Walsh (Kit or Kitty)
Monica Walsh (Mon)
Angela Walsh
Lucy Walsh
Leo Joseph Walsh (b. Sep 1893, Argentia)
Vincent Walsh (Vic) (b. May 1890, Argentia)

Lucy Walsh Married William Furlong they had
Mary Joseph Furlong, (b. May 1916, Placentia)
Who, for whatever reason winds up being raised by Emma and later Leo after Emma dies.

In 1921 they were living in Jerseyside and show up in the census, James Walsh had died.

In 1930 Emma, Leo and Mary are living on Staten Island in NY.

Sometime prior Vincent moves to Seattle, then later British Columbia, Canada. In 1936 Leo and Mary move to Seattle.

There may be a Hickey or a Dwyer connection here with the Walsh family, I haven't figured it out (yet). Michael Dwyer was one of Mary's godparents and the Walsh girls can be found travelling through Ellis island with the Hickeys to vist other Hickeys in Brooklyn.

I hope this helps in some way, or that you can find something in there that might help me.

Paul

Posted: 12 Feb 2007 2:12AM GMT
Hi There
I'm not researching any Walshes but happened to come accross your query.

I went to school with Tammy Walsh from Pointe Verde. She was married to a McCarthy from Freshwater. She is now living in Winnipeg, MB, I believe, but her parents still live in Pointe Verde, Tom and Ula Walsh, and also Tom's brother George Walsh and wife Yvonne and their families.

Don't know what else I can give you to help but I can have her take a look at you query, my sister is a friend of Tammys.

Linda

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Walsh
Hi Allison. I just saw your post today. Do you know if Edmond O'Keefe had any relatives or connected to any Shannons?

Thanks in advance, Bev

Posted: 27 Feb 2008 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: walsh,
Hi Paul,

Maybe we have a connection. I have had a slow time on the Walsh line also.

Emma Evans(b 4/1/65 ?) (d 10/25/34)in Staten Island married James Walsh (dob ?)
They had:
Katherine (Kit) b 1890 married Philip Parker (1890), they had 2 children- Margaret-b-1919 and Philip in 1921
Monica(b 9/22/1888) (d 3/18/1972)married Richard Graham 12/10/1896 and (11/10/1963 and they had 5 children-Elizabeth (3/17/1918-12/14/2004)& Catherine(3/17/1918) twins,Anna 4/14/1922-1/18/2008,Mary-10/27/1923,Richard 8/21/1926
Angela
Lucy was married to Michael Dwyer and they had 2 children Emma and Michael Junior
Leo (b 9/19/91) (d 6/26/1973) in Seattle, WA
Vincent (d 1/15/1938) in British Columbia
John
Joseph
Mary married Michael Furlong and they had 2 children Mary and Jeannie

I hope this helps you and if you have any more information, I would appreciate it as I am Monica's Granddaughter Francie

per page

Find a board about a specific topic