Search for content in message boards

John & Amanda Cates Buffalo Texas

John & Amanda Cates Buffalo Texas

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on dates of death for John S. and Amanda Cates. Children were John Wesley, Sarah, A.T., William and James. They moved from South Carolina to Alabama and settled in Leon County Texas and are both buried at Sandhill Cemetery in Buffalo Texas. He has a CSA grave marker, but no date of death is listed. The last census I've found for them was 1880 in Leon County listed as Jno & Mandy Cates living nearby their son John Wesley. Most of the family settled in the Leon County/Limestone county area.

Re: John & Amanda Cates Buffalo Texas

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: cates, haynes, watkins
A descendant of the above. Know about the graves. They were my mother's grt. grt. grand parents.

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 2:49AM GMT
It's nice to find a new-found Cates Cousin! I recently went to the cemetery and got pictures of their graves. Do you have any information regarding the year they died? I found them both on an 1880 census in Leon County, but I can't find any information beyond that or any documentation to indicate when they passed away. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Cates
I saw your post about John and Amanda Cates in Buffalo Texas. I don't know exactly how, but somehow the Cates family that settled in the Limestone area has to be connected to my Cates relatives in some way. My Cates relatives settled in the Rains County Texas area. But originally moved from Edgefield, South Carolina to Alabama (during the Civil War) and then on to Texas. I would like to hear some names of your Cates relatives that were involved in the move from South Carolina to Alabama, and from Alabama to Texas to see if I can find a connection.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 4:12AM GMT
The John and Amanda Cates from Edgefield and later Alabama settled in Leon County after the Civil war. I had long suspected that John was the son of Sampson and Leannah Cates of Edgefield county and later learned that John's middle name was Sampson, and the 1840 census of Edgefield showed an additional son of Sampson who would have been John's age by 1850. In addition, the 1850 census showed John and Amanda living very close by Sampson and Leannah. John and Amanda's son James lived mostly in Leon County, while their other son John Wesley settled in Limestone county, mostly in the LaSalle/Groesbeck area. Amanda had 2 other children by a first marriage (both boys I think) who later took the Cates name, but I'm not sure of where they settled. John Wesley was my great great grandfather. I know that John Wesley had 4 sons. Simpson (my great grandfather), James, Johnnie and Charles. I'm not sure of the life or whereabouts of Johnnie, but Simpson, James and Charles all lived in the Limestone County, and are buried at LaSalle Cemetery. Simpson's son George was my grandfather.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:41PM GMT
This is incredible information to me. I had searched and searched for the whereabouts of the son John to Sampson and Leannah. Obviously we share the same ancestry. I am descended from the oldest son of Sampson and Leannah, William M. Cates. And I'm guessing you know that many of the brothers and sisters of John along with Leannah are buried in Dougherty Cemetery near Emory. Can you please let me know what you have for the birthdate of John? You can send message direct to my user name if you wish.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 3:42AM GMT
His year of birth on the 1850 census says 1829 and gave his age at 21. The 1860 and 1870 census says "about 1830". 1829 seems to be the most likely, since Sampson's 1850 census listed a daughter being born in 1930.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 3:50AM GMT
I have noticed that many of the family trees give a date of birth for John as 1851 and list John's name as John W, but that is actually John Wesley Cates who was Sampson's grandson by John Sampson.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 9:39PM GMT
Okay. Well, although your John will somehow connect to Sampson and Leannah, I don't believe he is going to be a son of Sampson and Leannah. The John that I have as their son was born about 1851, and is listed only on the 1860 Census. He would have been born about 3 years prior to the death of Sampson his father. I believe that it is unlikely that they would have two boys with the same first name of John. Anyway, I will continue to do more research to try and find out how John in Limestone somehow connects. He must connect somehow, because of his moving from S.C. to Alabama and then on to Texas.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 9:46PM GMT
I posted my reply before I saw your second post. You may be right. Although Leannah lists John as a son, this may be a grandson on the 1860 Census. I'll do more research and get back to you with what I find. Probably do more research after the holidays.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic