Search for content in message boards

Little of Ireland

Little of Ireland

Carol Reeve (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2000 8:14AM GMT
Bridget Little, daughter of Thomas Little, married in Lowell MA c. 1857 to Henry Collins. Ireland was given as their birthplace. Does anyone have any information about Irish/Catholic Little families? Where they are located in Ireland? Thanks.....

LITTLES IN IRELAND

Posted: 20 Jan 2001 3:18PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 1:38AM GMT
Hi Carol,
I just found out that my gr grandfather (James Benjamin Franklin Little, 1867 Texas) was of Irish descent, but also have no leads back to Ireland. His father (Jasper Little) was born in Alabama in 1840. Have you learned anything yet? Thanks!
Mike

Irish Littles

Carol Reeve (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:57PM GMT
Hi Michael, I have looked for information about Irish Littles for 2 years now and, although some replies have come, none pertained to my family. It has been fun to learn the Littles may have originated in Scotland (there is a web site you can access). My ancestor was Bridget Little, dau. of Thomas and Catherine Flaherty Little. All three born Ireland, no place named. I found her marriage and death certificates; born 1833, married at Lowell MA to Henry Collins 1857 and died Danvers MA 1873. I heard that the Irish may have adopted the English word little in place of the Irish for little..."beggin". Keep me in mind while looking as I will you...have you found a birth certificate for the immigrant Little? Regards, Carol Reeve

LITTLE IRELAND

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 1:44PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 1:38AM GMT
Hi Carol,
I've tracked my LITTLE branch to William Little, born 1660 in MA....eventually the family moved to Virgina, N. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and finally Texas. I've got no leads at present for the parents of William.
I don't see a Bridget Little in my list of ancestors....but who knows.
I'll stay in touch....THANKS!
Mike

Irish Littles

Carol Reeve (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 8:03AM GMT
Hello Mike,
Thanks for the reply. You are doing very well with your line.....I have the immigration paper for Henry Collins from County Tipperary coming to MA in 1850. Then his marriage to Bridget Little in 1857. As she was born in Ireland 1833, she emigrated after that year. My mother's Flanagan line did not come out from County Galway until 1895 so we are fairly recent and have cousins there. My husband and I have gone to Ireland 3 times.....it is wonderful and we'll go again! It is truly a heritage to proud of.......keep in touch Carol

Littles

Larry Little (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2001 5:13PM GMT
My grandfather was named George Little from East Palistine Ohio. He was married to Tamar Eaton from Ks. My father did not know nothing about the Littles as his mother died at his birth and his father died when he was 12years old. He was rasied by the Eaton family in Ks. They could have been from Irland but I just don't know. I been trying to find any Littles related to me. But the it has been very hard with little information
to go on. If you know of any Littles from Ohio please letme know. Thanks Larry

Re: LITTLE IRELAND

Beverly Little (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2001 9:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Mike,
Would you be so kind to check your records for a John LITTLE b. abt 1766 in Ireland. His wife was Catherine ___ b. abt 1775 in Scotland. I first find John and Catherine in Butler Co., AL 1850 census. One son, Thomas LITTLE b. abt 1806 in Georgia. The LITTLE clan later ends up in and around Houston County, TX. Since my Littles are in the same area mostly as yours, we may be from the same Little family.
Thanks very much.
Beverly

Mike Little (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2001 3:01AM GMT
Hi Beverly,
Thanks for writing! Sorry to say, I don't have any proof that any of my Little ancestors came from Ireland.It was a rumor, handed down, but very little to go on.
If you'd like, I can send you my Family Tree Maker.
Take care,
Mike

Beverly Little (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2001 8:00PM GMT
Hi Mike,
Thanks for such a quick response. Yes I would appreciate it if you would GEDCOM your LITTLE file to me. The fact that our lines were in the same general areas is very, very interesting. I would really like to take a closer look at them together. If you would like to see mine, I would be happy to GEDCOM it to you.
Thanks again - Have a great day!
Beverly

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2006 7:39PM GMT
Surnames: Little
Beverly, or Mike,
I have found 2 Little families from county Antrim in Ireland. One is Francis and Hanna Little, both born around 1815 in Ballymena. They were listed in the 1851 census as 36 years old with children: Andrew (12), Nancy (9), Sarah (7), Matilda (5) and John (2). After this census, they had Margaret, Samuel, William Edward (my great grandfather), Hannah, Frank. Most of them came to America, some after they married. Another Little family from county Antrim, I am not sure if they are related to me, is: Stuart and Eliza Little who were 48 and 45 in 1851, with Andrew (23), Thomas (20), Mary (17), Elizabeth (14), Jean (12), Stewart (9), and Margaret (7). The last one was "absent from the household" as of March 30, 1851. I do not know what that means.
I do not know if any of this helps. Melissa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions